The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What glue is this used for braces? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551077)

kavalakat 07-02-2019 05:08 PM

What glue is this used for braces?

Does anyone know what glues is used here? (PICTURE attached)
Looks like super glue, but I think it should not be used on braces for guitar.
The area where the side tone brace is attached to main brace... thx
This is a Breedlove Pursuit Ex concert CE MY.

Thank you. :)

https://imge.to/i/jemm1

mirwa 07-02-2019 05:53 PM

It looks like a bit of epoxy used to gap fill and glue

Steve

kavalakat 07-02-2019 06:02 PM

Thank you.. It is a new guitar so I just want to be sure it was not super glue.. :)

John Arnold 07-02-2019 07:29 PM

IMHO, I would rather see super glue than epoxy in this application.

kavalakat 07-02-2019 07:49 PM

But I thought super glue is difficult to remove if any issues with braces...because it is so strong... Sorry I don't have much knowledge on this.. Thanks for your input..

Bruce Sexauer 07-02-2019 09:51 PM

Both CA glue and epoxy are difficult to remove. But I consider CA a much better choice where acoustic efficiency is concerned. Glue clean up is just one of many considerations.

kavalakat 07-02-2019 10:32 PM

Thank you for the valuable input... :)

mirwa 07-03-2019 02:40 AM

Epoxy is a good gap filling glue, so when people notch braces for other braces to fit or undercut the kerfing too much, then epoxy is utilised to fill that gap and provide a good solid bond

Steve

kavalakat 07-03-2019 02:52 AM

Oh.. got it.. That was clear.. Thanks :)

redir 07-03-2019 06:56 AM

Are all the brace ends treated that way? It seems like they had the idea that dripping epoxy on the brace end will help keep it tacked down in defense of impact or something. IDK I'm just thinking out loud as to why that would be done. I have seen guitars with cloth patches at brace ends for what I presume to be that very reason.

Bruce Sexauer 07-03-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirwa (Post 6101853)
Epoxy is a good gap filling glue, so when people notch braces for other braces to fit or undercut the kerfing too much, then epoxy is utilised to fill that gap and provide a good solid bond

Steve

Not in my world.

charles Tauber 07-03-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redir (Post 6101946)
Are all the brace ends treated that way? It seems like they had the idea that dripping epoxy on the brace end will help keep it tacked down in defense of impact or something. IDK I'm just thinking out loud as to why that would be done. I have seen guitars with cloth patches at brace ends for what I presume to be that very reason.

It is a common practice in classical guitar construction to pit a drop of wood glue on the ends of the fan braces. I suspect on this guitar they attempted to do the same with epoxy.

charles Tauber 07-03-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer (Post 6102111)
Not in my world.

Nor mine. If doesn’t fit it is discarded.

redir 07-03-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles Tauber (Post 6102153)
It is a common practice in classical guitar construction to pit a drop of wood glue on the ends of the fan braces. I suspect on this guitar they attempted to do the same with epoxy.

Interesting. I did not know that. And I have never done that but I have only built ten classical guitars and that was many years ago. I am endeavoring on building more now and I almost feel like it's starting all over again.

printer2 07-03-2019 09:10 PM

Maybe they used hotmelt.

Just kidding. On gap filling, in my RC aircraft days the odd mistake may be filled with micro-balloons (little hollow plastic spheres) and CA. With multiple joints on the ribs and with most of the wing glued up it is the more practical option. I did do one guitar body with mainly CA, did the back on with Titebond. Been five years and the CA is doing fine.