The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Another Custom build, but not a guitar this time!!! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495670)

TomB'sox 01-07-2018 10:13 PM

Another Custom build, but not a guitar this time!!!

3 Attachment(s)
Well, as some of you have mentioned, I seem to have been putting together a nice little collection of guitars as of late. What is difficult is maintaining the guitars with proper humidity and protection against the elements. I also wish that they did not need to live in their cases all of the time. I feel like the playing rotation would be much better if they were there when you wanted them.

I have been thinking about a humidity controlled cabinet for a while, but just could not seem to fine the right one and also the cost was hard to justify. I finally decided that I was being foolish and for the price of one nice guitar, I could have the cabinet and protect the investment I had already made in guitars.

After a search online and several days of comparisons, I decided on a company in South Dakota/Southwestern Minnesota named Divine Design Woodworks. They have been fantastic to work with and the process has been much like getting a guitar made. We selected size and design together as well as wood. They even search for cool burls for drawer and door fronts. They have basic models which is where we started and then modified to try and meet my goals to store 10 guitars. Of course they are humidity controlled with an electronic gauge to monitor proper levels. There is LED lighting to show off the guitars.

Here are a few pics of current progress:

Attachment 4453

Attachment 4454

Attachment 4455

We went with Walnut and they found some awesome burl for the front. They worked with me to find the perfect stain to work with the wood floors it will be sitting on. So far I think it has come out great. Of course these are progress pics and it is not done. The doors are glass and there will be cedar on the back to help maintain humidity levels.

If anyone has any questions let me know on the thread or PM me whatever you wish.

I put this in the custom section as I thought this would be where most people would be interested as well as it being a custom build by itself.

Thanks

TomB'sox 01-07-2018 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a close-up of the door front detail:

Attachment 4457

Guitars44me 01-07-2018 10:27 PM

Boy, a resort for guitars!

Tom your guitars will be very happy!

Cool build

Paul

Steve Kinnaird 01-07-2018 10:47 PM

Great idea, Tom, and we're breathing easier already.
Of course, you'll need some walnut guitars to go in the case.
Just sayin...

Steve

BrunoBlack 01-08-2018 05:47 AM

That’s a beautiful piece of furniture Tom. What was the wait time from order to delivery?

invguy921 01-08-2018 06:12 AM

Congrats Tom! That should be an awesome addition to your prized collection of instruments. Gorgeous wood choice.

Kerbie 01-08-2018 06:26 AM

Gorgeous, Tom. Almost as pretty as the guitars!

TomB'sox 01-08-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasome (Post 5595827)
That’s a beautiful piece of furniture Tom. What was the wait time from order to delivery?

It was quick, about 3-4 weeks from when I ordered it to when they started and then they think about 6 weeks total to delivery. And, this was with the holidays thrown in.

TomB'sox 01-08-2018 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invguy921 (Post 5595838)
Congrats Tom! That should be an awesome addition to your prized collection of instruments. Gorgeous wood choice.

Thanks, I am looking forward to seeing the guitars hanging out there and not having to worry about them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 5595844)
Gorgeous, Tom. Almost as pretty as the guitars!

Thanks Kerbie. I think so too and because it is so nice, there was no worry about how it would look in the house etc. It should fit right in and add to the decor rather than stick out like a sore thumb.

TomB'sox 01-08-2018 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 5595721)
Tom your guitars will be very happy!

Cool build

Paul

Thanks Paul, a resort for the guitars sounds great to me. I think you should give this some thought too with all those Kinnairds!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 5595733)
Great idea, Tom, and we're breathing easier already.
Of course, you'll need some walnut guitars to go in the case.
Just sayin...

Steve

OK, slow down there my Nacogdoches friend. You are one of the main reasons I got myself into this mess.....4 Kinnairds, what was I thinking hahaha

Steve Kinnaird 01-08-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 5595887)
OK, slow down there my Nacogdoches friend. You are one of the main reasons I got myself into this mess.....4 Kinnairds, what was I thinking hahaha

Well, you said it will hold 10 guitars, right? :D

SK

nootis 01-08-2018 09:49 AM

I wished there were more threads like this one. You will never regret having this made, and your guitars will love you for it!

The only problem is that you've made too many guitar luthier friends, and you'll probably need another cabinet fairly soon.... right Steve?:D

cigarfan 01-08-2018 02:08 PM

Excellent Tom. Beautiful piece. And yes you will be so happy with your beauties all easily accessible. You’ll have to let us know how easy or difficult it is to keep watered.

Nemoman 01-08-2018 03:03 PM

Looks beautiful, Tom!

Can't wait to see it all setup and filled with your wonderful collection.

justonwo 01-08-2018 04:30 PM

That is incredibly classy. You lucky so and so. Can’t wait to see the end result. I assume you’ll use premium grade surgical tubing for the holders??