The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   McKnight LowLander (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603949)

jjhturbo 02-01-2021 11:38 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind words and thanks Eire, for the input regarding the sound port. I just took a look at your beauty -- the Black Limba with the dual ports. Very nice. Never really thought about multiple sound ports as I was mainly trying to decide what "kind" to get.

Will think about this. In your opinion, what is the change in overall volume from the front? (when having single versus dual sound ports)

Thanks again everyone for the well wishes. And just to agree with what's been stated a few times already, but warrants it again -- I couldn't pick better people than Tim & Mary to handle my first commission. They are gems, both professionally and more importantly, as human beings.

Eire 02-04-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhturbo (Post 6621896)
In your opinion, what is the change in overall volume from the front? (when having single versus dual sound ports)

You'll find plenty of opinions about sound ports on AGF, if you conduct a search. Some folks are believers; others aren't. Tim has the science (imagine that!) behind it, and while I know psychoacoustics is involved, I tend to believe that the sound port, as well as its position, makes a difference in what you hear, particularly when playing softly.

While there is a bit of increase in volume, the various ports are more about effect. For lack of a better description, no port makes me feel as though the sound is out in front of me and a bit to my right; a 'Todd' port or Luckenbooth makes me feel as though there is sound coming from between my jaw and left shoulder; and the dual port makes me feel as though sound is coming up from either side of my jaw. Again: I find this especially true when playing softly.

You'll find my other McKnight with dual ports as the model for dual ports under the 'options' page on the McKnight site; it was my first build with Tim, and I'm not sure how many others have had dual ports cut into their guitars (if any). I simply find that I prefer the dual port over a single port, regardless of the design (and those designs can be quite aesthetically pleasing).

Once more: You'll hear all sorts of ideas, if you search the site for threads about sound ports. My perspective is just one of many and should be weighed accordingly.

jjhturbo 02-05-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eire (Post 6625186)
You'll find plenty of opinions about sound ports on AGF, if you conduct a search. Some folks are believers; others aren't. Tim has the science (imagine that!) behind it, and while I know psychoacoustics is involved, I tend to believe that the sound port, as well as its position, makes a difference in what you hear, particularly when playing softly.

While there is a bit of increase in volume, the various ports are more about effect. For lack of a better description, no port makes me feel as though the sound is out in front of me and a bit to my right; a 'Todd' port or Luckenbooth makes me feel as though there is sound coming from between my jaw and left shoulder; and the dual port makes me feel as though sound is coming up from either side of my jaw. Again: I find this especially true when playing softly.

You'll find my other McKnight with dual ports as the model for dual ports under the 'options' page on the McKnight site; it was my first build with Tim, and I'm not sure how many others have had dual ports cut into their guitars (if any). I simply find that I prefer the dual port over a single port, regardless of the design (and those designs can be quite aesthetically pleasing).

Once more: You'll hear all sorts of ideas, if you search the site for threads about sound ports. My perspective is just one of many and should be weighed accordingly.

Thanks, Eire. Appreciate your opinion/perspective, and I understand the subjectivity component too.

jjhturbo 02-05-2021 11:40 AM

17 Attachment(s)
New updates! :)

jjhturbo 02-05-2021 11:42 AM

8 Attachment(s)
And more...

Nemoman 02-05-2021 01:12 PM

This Lowlander is really moving right along--looks wonderful so far!

cigarfan 02-06-2021 06:20 AM

Looking Schweeet!

jjhturbo 02-08-2021 05:22 PM

15 Attachment(s)
This is really moving along! Got updates today on the neck and fretboard! I must say I continue to be so pleased with the blue trim/accent!

cigarfan 02-09-2021 03:58 PM

Tim you are soooo much fun to watch!

Guitars44me 02-09-2021 05:42 PM

Yes indeed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cigarfan (Post 6630567)
Tim you are soooo much fun to watch!

I am enjoying this too!

As for soundports, I prefer one in the middle of the upper Bout bend. ( I tend to hold the Guitar in a semi classical position with the butt between my legs, when playing seated.)

This delivers a nice stereo balance. Lots of tone from the top in my right ear, and the port works for my left.

YMMV. Hahaha

Looking good!

You will be thrilled, I am sure!!!

Salud

Paul

Mary 02-10-2021 01:24 PM

It's nice that those of you who are sound port experienced are sharing your thoughts here so jjTurbo can make a more educated decision of the sound his own ear will better appreciate. Thank you. It's not something my phone through a facetime chat can make clear since we really aren't equipped for quality sound.

John as with many of our customers, Eire, has an educated ear and a talent to play. He has a collection of McKnight guitars with different sound holes. As also with several others (Cigarfan) he has been in our wood room/shop/home/loft recent enough that they can tell what they heard that won them over to pick their guitars and sound holes. They are able to explain why one guitar over another still keeps their interest.

You can talk to those who have responded on this thread and trust their guidance. There is still time to think of the side sound port but when that time comes ... and that first spin of the drill has entered the guitar ---- there is probably no chance for changing your mind. I am pretty sure it's ok to PM the guys if you have any doubt and you might not want to talk publicly about it. They may have had that same doubt at one time. They will have your back.

jjhturbo 02-10-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary (Post 6631454)
It's nice that those of you who are sound port experienced are sharing your thoughts here so jjTurbo can make a more educated decision of the sound his own ear will better appreciate. Thank you. It's not something my phone through a facetime chat can make clear since we really aren't equipped for quality sound.

John as with many of our customers, Eire, has an educated ear and a talent to play. He has a collection of McKnight guitars with different sound holes. As also with several others (Cigarfan) he has been in our wood room/shop/home/loft recent enough that they can tell what they heard that won them over to pick their guitars and sound holes. They are able to explain why one guitar over another still keeps their interest.

You can talk to those who have responded on this thread and trust their guidance. There is still time to think of the side sound port but when that time comes ... and that first spin of the drill has entered the guitar ---- there is probably no chance for changing your mind. I am pretty sure it's ok to PM the guys if you have any doubt and you might not want to talk publicly about it. They may have had that same doubt at one time. They will have your back.

Yes, indeed, Mary! This forum and the input received here have proven to always be very useful. A lot of food for thought regarding the sound hole options. Really appreciate everyone's point of view and experiences. Mulling over still in the meantime. Btw, tell Tim to make sure to take a break now and then. :) The progress he has been making has just been amazing!

jjhturbo 02-10-2021 05:32 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Headstock binding/purfling!

D. Churchland 02-12-2021 05:45 PM

Love the blue. That's a classy touch

Mary 02-13-2021 09:53 AM

We have built spec guitars with the red trim and I remember doing one with green trim but this is the first time anyone has asked for the blue. It IS very eye appealing when combined with the raw woods. I, too, am looking forward to seeing this guitar completely dressed.