The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Have a Martin Dread and a Grand Pacific??? I have a ? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567111)

Shades of Blue 12-21-2019 02:13 PM

Have a Martin Dread and a Grand Pacific??? I have a ?

For those of you who have a Martin Dread and a Grand Pacific, how does the GP hold up volume wise to the Martin? Since I don’t have a Martin dread to compare in the stable, I’m starting to have these thoughts that the GPs aren’t quite as loud as I once thought they were. I’m sure this is just my mind playing tricks to fuel my Martin gas.

Anyways, any input would be great. Nothing sounds quite like these GPs and I still love them. In fact, I may end up keeping my 517 and just stay away from Martin for a while.....but the true test will be next week when my brother brings over his D-28 lol.

Mike Mandel 12-21-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shades of Blue (Post 6245263)
For those of you who have a Martin Dread and a Grand Pacific, how does the GP hold up volume wise to the Martin? Since I don’t have a Martin dread to compare in the stable, I’m starting to have these thoughts that the GPs aren’t quite as loud as I once thought they were. I’m sure this is just my mind playing tricks to fuel my Martin gas.

Anyways, any input would be great. Nothing sounds quite like these GPs and I still love them. In fact, I may end up keeping my 517 and just stay away from Martin for a while.....but the true test will be next week when my brother brings over his D-28 lol.

Been going through the same thoughts since I got my GP 717. When I went to pick it up, I causally picked up a HD-28 while I waited, and did think it was louder. I keep on going back to the store to play my GP against the HD-28 and a D-28. Even brought in a cast of people to hear both and give advice.

I don't think the GP's are true dreadnoughts size wise, so it might not be a fair comparison. Also the Martins I played my GP against had lighter gauge strings, so I had to take that into consideration.

My opinion, the Martins might be a tad louder, especially in the low end, but the tonal balance of the 717 and sustain keeps amazing me and kept me from exchanging it.

Will be interested in your take next week....

aaron_t 12-21-2019 02:38 PM

I’ve been underwhelmed by my 717e ever since I bought it. Compared to my D-28 Modern Deluxe and my D-18 Golden Era, the 717 falls flat.

llew 12-21-2019 02:46 PM

I don't own a GP but have played both the 517 and 717 builders editions. Being a Martin guy I found these two Taylor's much more to my liking than any other Taylor I've tried. Plenty of volume but not so sure how'd they hold up in a big song circle. The Standard D-18/28 (reimagined) can be played loud if need without breaking up. But for me it's always the Martin tone I gravitate to. The Taylor X17 is certainly a step in the right direction for my tastes tone wise. No reason you can't own a Martin too. Play your brothers D-28 and find a D-18 to play and see if either one does it for you.

RP 12-21-2019 02:50 PM

Break out of the 317/517/717 circle and play a 327. If mine is any indication, you won't be disappointed...

ataylor 12-21-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llew (Post 6245293)
No reason you can't own a Martin too. Play your brothers D-28 and find a D-18 to play and see if either one does it for you.

I might be wrong, but I believe the OP has owned both of those guitars and a couple of other Martins within just the last couple years.

ataylor 12-21-2019 03:23 PM

If sheer volume is the name of the game here, I’d find a Gibson Advanced Jumbo to compare as well. Same scale length and overall body shape as the 717 and a guitar with a reputation for projection.

I’d also look at small-shop versions of Martin D-18/D-28 and the Gibson J-35.

Rev Roy 12-21-2019 03:42 PM

GPs have a noticeably thinner body depth than Martin/Gibson dreads. So it’s hard to compare them directly...especially regarding volume potential. Count me among those who don’t think GPs should be called dreads. They are something new and should be judged accordingly.

SpruceTop 12-21-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shades of Blue (Post 6245263)

Everyone has a "Wow! I coulda had a V8 moment," but I've owned dozens of Martin dreadnoughts over the years and I absolutely love my new Taylor 717e Grand Pacific. Having just compared my new Taylor 717e Grand Pacific to my 2016 Martin D-18, brings a conclusion that both guitars can get loud but the Taylor retains more clarity of chords and notes the more I dig in, whereas the Martin gets more brash and slurred. Given that the Taylor is rosewood and the Martin is mahogany likely affects the subjective results of my volume comparison. Let me suggest you also buy a Martin dreadnought when convenient and enjoy the best of both makers.

Shades of Blue 12-21-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 6245371)
Everyone has a "Wow! I coulda had a V8 moment," but I've owned dozens of Martin dreadnoughts over the years and I absolutely love my new Taylor 717e Grand Pacific. Having just compared my new Taylor 717e Grand Pacific to my 2016 Martin D-18, brings a conclusion that both guitars can get loud but the Taylor retains more clarity of chords and notes the more I dig in, whereas the Martin gets more brash and slurred. Given that the Taylor is rosewood and the Martin is mahogany likely affects the subjective results of my volume comparison. Let me suggest you also buy a Martin dreadnought when convenient and enjoy the best of both makers.

I think this sums it up. Tonally, the GPs just hit the spot. The reason I have not bonded with D-28s and D-18s is the muddiness of the lows and the thinness of the highs. Actually, I find the newer Martins incredibly thin sounding in the highs. That’s one thing I love about the GPs.

dhodgeh 12-21-2019 04:40 PM

I've got a 717BE, and post 2012 D-18, and a Collings D1 Traditional

I really cannot ascertain much difference in volume between the 717 and the D-18. They each have their own voice, and I play one or the other depending on my mood. I do find the neck and setup on the 717 more to my liking, but the neck on the D-18 is just fine as well.

I took to 717 to bluegrass camp, and it held it's own against all the Martins in the jam circles I participated in.

The D1 however, is a cannon. Definitely louder than both the 717 and D-18.

D

martingitdave 12-21-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shades of Blue (Post 6245381)
I think this sums it up. Tonally, the GPs just hit the spot. The reason I have not bonded with D-28s and D-18s is the muddiness of the lows and the thinness of the highs. Actually, I find the newer Martins incredibly thin sounding in the highs. That’s one thing I love about the GPs.

I suspect you would really dig the D-28 Modern Deluxe. No reason you can't have one of those two.

Shades of Blue 12-21-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhodgeh (Post 6245391)
I've got a 717BE, and post 2012 D-18, and a Collings D1 Traditional

I really cannot ascertain much difference in volume between the 717 and the D-18. They each have their own voice, and I play one or the other depending on my mood. I do find the neck and setup on the 717 more to my liking, but the neck on the D-18 is just fine as well.

I took to 717 to bluegrass camp, and it held it's own against all the Martins in the jam circles I participated in.

The D1 however, is a cannon. Definitely louder than both the 717 and D-18.

D

I imagine that the frequency range of the Taylors cuts through pretty well in mixes. The 717 did great at a recent violin recital for my daughter.

RP 12-21-2019 07:51 PM

I've long felt that a gloss vs satin finish contributes to a guitar's tone. Some/many disagree, but it seems to make difference, at least to my ears. A satin finish seems warmer than a gloss finish. That said, my 327 is satin and my Martin HD28 is gloss. To answer the OP's question, I wanted to lightly strum and fingerpick both and listen for volume. I didn't want this to be a test of which I could play harder but which would be louder with a light touch. Believe it or not, the 327 won hands-down...

Shades of Blue 12-21-2019 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 6245516)
I've long felt that a gloss vs satin finish contributes to a guitar's tone. Some/many disagree, but it seems to make difference, at least to my ears. A satin finish seems warmer than a gloss finish. That said, my 327 is satin and my Martin HD28 is gloss. To answer the OP's question, I wanted to lightly strum and fingerpick both and listen for volume. I didn't want this to be a test of which I could play harder but which would be louder with a light touch. Believe it or not, the 327 won hands-down...

Good to hear. My 517 is much more responsive than my 717 and I think this is due in part because it is lighter. The 717 has an unbelievable low E string, but it doesn’t get muddy. It’s easily the coolest sounding guitar I’ve heard.