The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Newer and/or lesser-known builders of custom guitars? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613309)

macmanmatty 04-19-2021 11:41 AM

Newer and/or lesser-known builders of custom guitars?

Like the previous thread I'm looking for newer or less known builders but this one is for any style of builder whether they copy Martin, Gibson or any other builder or just their own sound.

Rwpierce 04-19-2021 12:11 PM

I cant recommend highly enough Dion James guitars. He really has it going on!

Nemoman 04-19-2021 12:22 PM

Joel Teel of 2 Hands Guitars is definitely one to consider--great guitars and a wonderful human being!

Gordon Currie 04-19-2021 12:31 PM

Wayne Johnson of Irvin Guitars. I think this guy will be a breakout star soon.

theEdwinson 04-19-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 6694711)
Joel Teel of 2 Hands Guitars is definitely one to consider--great guitars and a wonderful human being!

I absolutely agree. Joel Teel is a relatively new builder, but he's making world-class guitars that are as good as anything you'll find that costs twice as much. He's an impeccable craftsman, approaching each and every procedure like a brain surgeon, and his work is spotlessly clean inside and out. But it's the SOUND of his guitars that just knocks you over in awe.

Full disclosure: I work with Joel, and have been for almost three years now. He was my first serious student. Not an apprentice, because he's been building his own brand (Two Hands Guitars) since the beginning. Not only has he been the best student that you could imagine, he is also teaching me now, by example. I am re-learning to approach this craft with that meticulous attention to detail, and the devotional enthusiasm of doing such soul-nourishing work.

Stay tuned-- Joel is going to be posting a show 'n tell thread soon of his two most recent guitars. We just have to take the glamour photos first. AND, Joel will be bringing his guitars to Tom Bowersox's B.I.G. Show in early September. Please attend- and you will see that there is no hyperbole in what I say about this guy. Website link above, and HERE is Joel's Facebook page.

theEdwinson 04-19-2021 01:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 55191Attachment 55192

TomB'sox 04-19-2021 03:46 PM

I will third Joel Teel and second the invitation to B.I.G.

Benjamin Paldacci is also coming, while he has been building for a few years now, 8-10 I believe, he may not be on everyone's radar either. He will also be at B.I.G.

Guitars44me 04-19-2021 04:45 PM

Plus one....

I will "fourth" the plug for Joel Teel, and all the builders coming to B.I.G.

So many fine folks building so many FINE guitars!

Salud

Paul

Jamiejoon 04-19-2021 06:09 PM

David Dart of Navarro, California is not new - he has been building for 50 years - but he is not well-known. He builds terrific vintage Martin-style guitars. He also builds other instruments. He is building me a ronroco.

Also, Eric Devine of Maui is known for his top-level ukuleles but he also builds guitars. Really beautiful instruments, and I love my ukulele.

mikebr75 04-21-2021 04:51 PM

Take a look at Kraus Guitars, he's made me one that I love, and we are working on another one now. He makes great sounding guitars.
www.krausguitars.com

mikealpine 04-21-2021 06:43 PM

Another Two Hands vote. His early guitars were amazing. It’s only a few years later, and I can’t wait to hear his newer builds!

islandguitar 04-23-2021 07:59 AM

In my neck of the woods:
www.morrisseyguitars.com

Patrick Morrissey has received some exposure on AGF before, but I think would fit in this category. Nice guitars, it would appear!!!

WayneJohnson 04-23-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Currie (Post 6694720)
Wayne Johnson of Irvin Guitars. I think this guy will be a breakout star soon.

Thanks for the kind words Gordon. There are so many wonderful builders (and great people) on this forum. I just appreciate the entire AGF community, all the support and the space given in which all of us benefit so much from.

all the best in your search.

Wayne

Dustinfurlow 04-23-2021 11:08 AM

For me it's been Urlacher, have played 2 now of hers now and they were both among the very best I have played and felt. Very good middle-ground between modern and fundamental tone. She's built for 20 years or so but considering she hasn't sold through major dealers and I don't see many posting about her work I'd say she deserves a plug.

Playing starts at 5:55

Karlijn Langendijk from Netherlands playing a Cedar Rosewood OM

Skip Ellis 04-23-2021 11:37 AM

Andy and Simon at Brook Guitars in Devon, England. They don't copy much of anybody and do their own thing with amazing results and their prices for custom instruments are at or below what you'll find for most American (Taylor, Martin, Gibson) stock models. They'll pretty much build what you want as far as woods, inlays, etc. It's a bit of a hassle dealing with import duties, etc. but it's seems worth the effort to me. I just ordered a custom due to be finished in November.

BrookGuitars.com