The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Rainsong String report (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472516)

Finger Stylish 06-07-2017 05:00 AM

Rainsong String report

I have tried many types and brands of strings and pretty much had settled on the Martin Retro's. Last week I put on a set of John Pearse 960L pure nickels.
I noticed right out of the pack they seemed more flexible / limp compared to the Retro's of similar gauge. Immediately I noticed they were easier on my left hand. The tone/sound was "BOLD and clean" So far I am greatly encouraged, and if they last anywhere as long as the Martin Retro's. I may have found a new go-to string for my RainSong H DR1000. Let's track their longevity and see!

This is a list of the strings I have tried.
Elixier: NanoWeb Light gauge 80/20 & PB; PolyWeb med Light 12-53's
EB Earthwood's 12-54
EB Aluminum Bronze 12-54
D'Addario; Bluegrass, EJ-16's, EXP-11, EXP-13
SIT's
Newtone
Cleartone
GHS
Martin Marquis, Flexible core, Retro Monels, 80/20s
DR's

dadio917 06-09-2017 11:29 AM

you might give thomastik enfield plectrums a try. spendy but I sure enjoy them on the RS.

NoodleFingers 06-09-2017 02:30 PM

If you liked the EB Earthwoods at all but are looking for greater longevity, you might want to give EB Paradigm strings a try. I'm amazed at how long they're lasting... giving Elixirs a run for their money. And they feel and sound exactly like the Earthwoods to me.

Can't say for sure how long they'll last 'cause I'm still on my first set after six weeks.

Earl49 06-09-2017 04:38 PM

I'll have to give these a try at my next string order. I've been using GHS White Bronze (52% nickel) as my long-lasting non-coated strings for many years. I've always described White Bronze as "sounding three days old when brand new, but staying that way for a couple of months". They also mellowed the tone of certain guitars, to my ear.

steelvibe 06-09-2017 05:47 PM

I have the John Pearse 960L on my Shorty right now. As I try strings I record them and I've tried a whole bunch. I really like these JPs too but I'm not sure I like them more than the Retros. The both offer some pros and cons:

JPs pros and cons:

I prefer the string-to-string separation and I like the feel of them as well. I actually prefer these to the Silk and Bronze JPs I tried months ago and that is really saying something because those are great strings too! Having said that, there still is a bit of top sizzle I can hear over other strings I've tried, and that includes Retros (at least to my ear).

Martin Retro pros and cons:

They last forever and I like the tones for both strumming and fingerstyle on the Shorty. They are inexpensive, last forever, get better with age, and have great feel. Having said that, they can get a little "milky" (stealing a forum member's words there) in the mid-range and that might be great for singing with them but they might lack definition for those seeking a bold sassier sound. On top of that, the Retros sound weird right out of the package and everybody knows this. I don't think it is a matter of our ears "acclimating" to the new sound and new material either- they just sound weird. Then a magic unicorn comes and graces them with it's majestic rainbow horn and they sound glorious! (yes I've been watching too many Greg Koch videos)

dadio917 06-12-2017 01:58 PM

I tried the retro's but never got beyond the weird stage. maybe I'll try them again. How long does it take usually?

I've used GHS phosphor bronze on my 000 forever...like them. didn't sound good on the rainsong...little too bright. Maybe i'll try the white bronze.

be interesting if one of these can unseat the Plectrums on my RS.

steelvibe 06-12-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadio917 (Post 5372520)
I tried the retro's but never got beyond the weird stage. maybe I'll try them again. How long does it take usually?

Well, it might be that you just don't like them. I started digging them after a couple hours but many have commented that there is a slight "break-in".

I've done a fun controlled experiment with strings on the Shorty. Over the last 2.5 years I've tried and recorded 10 different sets of strings. Hated one, most were "good", but 4 packs were stand outs:

Newtone Masterclass Double wound PB

Martin SP Lifespan PB

John Pearse Pure Nickel

Martin Retro

What I've found is that the Retros win for tone and playability for my style of play and softened the top-end a little better than the others. I still want to try D'addario NBs though.

jdinco 06-12-2017 09:40 PM

I'm another TI Plectrum fan, I have tried a LOT of different strings. They are pricey, but mine have lasted a long time. I'd be interested if anyone has tried the SCGC low tensions on a CF, they are outstanding on every wood guitar I have put them on. Martin, and SCGC. Beating other strings by a big margin.

JimCA 06-12-2017 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdinco (Post 5372956)
I'm another TI Plectrum fan, I have tried a LOT of different strings. They are pricey, but mine have lasted a long time. I'd be interested if anyone has tried the SCGC low tensions on a CF, they are outstanding on every wood guitar I have put them on. Martin, and SCGC. Beating other strings by a big margin.

I have the SCGC low tensions on my X7 -- favorite strings on the X7 so far. I liked the Martin retros, but these sound better to me and are easier on my fingers,

Jim

steelvibe 06-12-2017 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdinco (Post 5372956)

Hey John, you are using the AC112 I assume? How on earth do you make that .059 work? :eek:

jdinco 06-13-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelvibe (Post 5373016)
Hey John, you are using the AC112 I assume? How on earth do you make that .059 work? :eek:

Hi Sean, You know, I was concerned about the .059 too, but it has never given me any problems.

Ahh...great to see the report on the SCGC strings....I need to order some. Thank You !!

al_az 06-13-2017 08:58 AM

Yet another Ti Plectrum (11's) user on my RS. Tried lots of alternatives but these continually outperform others. I wish it weren't so. Oh well I look at how much I have spent on my guitars, why cheap out.