The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hatcher Studio '16 #2 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424977)

Mark Hatcher 05-20-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEK (Post 4942450)
Almost too pretty to play! Beautiful work Mark.

Thanks TEK!

Mr. Paul 05-20-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 4941276)
I get to play this one for a week or so while it learns it's new guitar identity then I'll put up for sale or save it for a show, whichever comes first.

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

I'll bet you a quarter this one isn't going to make it to the show, either ;)

Mark Hatcher 05-20-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Paul (Post 4942477)
I'll bet you a quarter this one isn't going to make it to the show, either ;)

A bet I'd be happy to loose :)

bubbaprime 05-20-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 4942460)

In case you are wondering why I am asking Charlie to do recordings for me here is a You Tube he recently put out that I just can't get enough of...


Mark

Whoa baby, that's a smokin piece of pickin' I can see why you're asking him to demo for you. I hope you get a Hatcher in Charlie's hands. Awesome stuff!

lizzard 05-20-2016 11:22 PM

Mark- I'm going to let my deposit ride on the BRW/WRC (Which is sex on a stick). But That maple is THE BOMB!

Chris

Mark Hatcher 05-21-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzard (Post 4943033)
Mark- I'm going to let my deposit ride on the BRW/WRC (Which is sex on a stick). But That maple is THE BOMB!

Chris

Here is a little update and recap on something different I'm doing with your guitar. This is the second in the show spec series. It's the Greta grand auditorium model with a Western Red Cedar top and BRW back and sides.

I went with wooly mammoth tusk bark for the nut and saddle because it is a bit harder than bone and would add a little more "ping" or snap to the sound. I love the warmth of cedar and BRW certainly isn't lacking in the lows. I also am using cedar bracing on a very light back. So with all of that a little ping seems to be called for. It will add a little presence to all that deep and dark.

Here is a picture of a bunch of mammoth pcs I had to choose from;

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5786/...fcbdc86b_c.jpg

The big piece in the middle up top shows a section of tusk with a piece of the "bark" still attached. It's obvious why it's called "bark". The thing is the bark is the part that has been directly exposed to elements and over the last 20,000 to 40,000 years has started to absorb the surrounding minerals on it's way to becoming fossilized. It also picks up some wonderful coloring. That's the extra hardness I am looking for. Here are the two pieces I selected to cut the nut and saddle from;

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1569/...109659b8_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/...1cd80c25_c.jpg

When I cut the nut and saddle I tried to preserve some of the very outer edge just to show how great looking it is. Here are some pictures of the finished headstock and bridge with the nut and saddle in place;

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7336/...0529e527_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7685/...0514ac5b_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7629/...5debf268_c.jpg

You'll notice that the bridge pins, truss rod cover, and heel cap are tusk bark as well. My overall design efforts on the look of this guitar draws heavily from the what I feel is the very masculine look of contemporary collectable knives

By the way, I got my ping!

TomB'sox 05-21-2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 4943304)
Here is a little update and recap on something different I'm doing with your guitar. This is the second in the show spec series. It's the Greta grand auditorium model with a Western Red Cedar top and BRW back and sides.

I went with wooly mammoth tusk bark for the nut and saddle because it is a bit harder than bone and would add a little more "ping" or snap to the sound. I love the warmth of cedar and BRW certainly isn't lacking in the lows. I also am using cedar bracing on a very light back. So with all of that a little ping seems to be called for. It will add a little presence to all that deep and dark.

Here is a picture of a bunch of mammoth pcs I had to choose from;

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5786/...fcbdc86b_c.jpg

The big piece in the middle up top shows a section of tusk with a piece of the "bark" still attached. It's obvious why it's called "bark". The thing is the bark is the part that has been directly exposed to elements and over the last 20,000 to 40,000 years has started to absorb the surrounding minerals on it's way to becoming fossilized. It also picks up some wonderful coloring. That's the extra hardness I am looking for. Here are the two pieces I selected to cut the nut and saddle from;

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1569/...109659b8_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/...1cd80c25_c.jpg

When I cut the nut and saddle I tried to preserve some of the very outer edge just to show how great looking it is. Here are some pictures of the finished headstock and bridge with the nut and saddle in place;

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7336/...0529e527_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7685/...0514ac5b_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7629/...5debf268_c.jpg

You'll notice that the bridge pins, truss rod cover, and heel cap are tusk bark as well. My overall design efforts on the look of this guitar draws heavily from the what I feel is the very masculine look of contemporary collectable knives

By the way, I got my ping!

Wow, that is an absolutely beautiful touch to cap of this build!!!!! I love it.

lizzard 05-21-2016 10:41 AM

Mark,

I feel bad about trying to explain this to my wife. She has been forgiving beyond words.

And then you post another picture and I quietly snicker to myself thinking " I just be about to get away with murder!" (in a guitar way that is)

NICE and unique work. In Fact, this may be the most unique aesthetic I've ever seen. I suddenly crave a brontosaurus burger!

Chris

Mark Hatcher 05-21-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzard (Post 4943459)
Mark,

I feel bad about trying to explain this to my wife. She has been forgiving beyond words.

And then you post another picture and I quietly snicker to myself thinking " I just be about to get away with murder!" (in a guitar way that is)

NICE and unique work. In Fact, this may be the most unique aesthetic I've ever seen. I suddenly crave a brontosaurus burger!

Chris


Thanks Chris,

I am always especially proud when I think I was able to contribute something original into the pool of contemporary guitars. That is really hard to do. There are a lot of talented builders with great ideas and skills out today.

I see you started a post with this this guitar. I'll post any new update pictures and comments over on that one.

Mark

Mark Hatcher 05-24-2016 12:51 PM

Tough Day
 
Phew! What a tough day. Got my boss, Enzo, breathing down my neck

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7687/2...945fbfe1_c.jpg

lizzard 05-24-2016 01:19 PM

Enzo is CLEARLY thinking "Make sure Chris' guitar KNOWS it's a guitar!" (and find a good box!)

Mark Hatcher 05-24-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzard (Post 4947241)
Enzo is CLEARLY thinking "Make sure Chris' guitar KNOWS it's a guitar!" (and find a good box!)

Oh it's a guitar alright! Should be ready to ship Monday

Mark

yoni 05-24-2016 11:00 PM

enzo wants to know why you're not mixing the cat nip into finish. Also, reminding you not to leave any glasses on the shop tables.

Mark Hatcher 05-25-2016 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoni (Post 4947904)
enzo wants to know why you're not mixing the cat nip into finish. Also, reminding you not to leave any glasses on the shop tables.

Or pencils!

lizzard 05-25-2016 06:52 AM

Maybe Enzo could be the final Buffing pad? BUT NO PEEING!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=