The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hatcher Studio '16 #2 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424977)

Nemoman 11-16-2016 03:19 PM

Is that another one of your killer fretboards with the mahogany? You always seem to have the most beautiful fretboards going, Mark!

ukejon 11-17-2016 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cigarfan (Post 5129480)
Pretty sure that's the one he meant.

Yes indeed, my fellow Hatcherite.

Mark Hatcher 11-17-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 5129486)
Is that another one of your killer fretboards with the mahogany? You always seem to have the most beautiful fretboards going, Mark!

Thanks Nemoman!

We haven't yet settled on the exact fingerboard yet but, it will likely be Cocobolo. Cocobolo just goes so well with mahogany!

Mark Hatcher 11-18-2016 08:33 AM

Custom Buttons
 
The Indian Rosewood Greta is coming right along. We are going with Schertler gold tuners. My normal tuners are Gotoh 510 minis but over the last couple of years I have used a lot of Schertler tuners as an option. I like their quality, looks, and light weight. I think they ae right up there with the Gotohs.
The Indian Rosewood Greta that I am finishing up will have gold tuners and I made some custom sapwood capped Cocobolo buttons for them. Here are a few pictures;

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5541/3...dd523607_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5599/3...d3c3d331_c.jpg

https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5701/3...9837215e_c.jpg

I'm thinking of doing a Cocobolo truss rod cover with the sapwood to go with these.

Thanks for checking in!
Mark

Nemoman 11-18-2016 09:01 AM

Great look with the tuners--that headplate is pretty special too!

Dion James 11-18-2016 10:38 AM

I really love the rosewood neck! I've had a few boards of Indian Rosewood put aside for the better part of a decade with the intention of making necks. Any idea how much heavier the rosewood neck is relative to the average Mahogany neck. I ask as my "structured" sides add a little weight to my guitars so I have to be sure to watch the weight of other components.

Mark Hatcher 11-18-2016 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 5131062)
Great look with the tuners--that headplate is pretty special too!

Thanks Nemoman,

Book matching figured Cocobolo really shows it off!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dion Bews (Post 5131163)
I really love the rosewood neck! I've had a few boards of Indian Rosewood put aside for the better part of a decade with the intention of making necks. Any idea how much heavier the rosewood neck is relative to the average Mahogany neck. I ask as my "structured" sides add a little weight to my guitars so I have to be sure to watch the weight of other components.

There isn't near as much wood in a finished neck as you start out with. I'm seeing selected EIR adding about 2ozs on my necks. Center laminates and headstock design will make a difference also.

Mark

Mark Hatcher 11-19-2016 01:17 PM

Truss Rod Cover
 
Here is a picture showing the Cocobolo truss rod cover with the sapwood to go with the tuner buttons;

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5615/3...553d9ae0_c.jpg

ukejon 11-19-2016 09:20 PM

Looks amazing....

Mark Hatcher 11-20-2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukejon (Post 5132553)
Looks amazing....

Thanks ukejon!

Mark Hatcher 11-22-2016 11:09 AM

Strings are on
 
I have this EIR/Swiss Alpine Spruce Greta model strung up. It has a dummy saddle while it settles into it's new identity. If nothing unusual happens I'll make a real bone saddle and intonate it on Monday and it will be picked up;

https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5488/3...c15581eb_c.jpg

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5725/3...2aff0194_c.jpg

https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5453/3...3f54d65c_c.jpg

https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5472/3...89b9e8a5_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5611/3...c0d24377_c.jpg

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Nemoman 11-22-2016 12:02 PM

Another beauty, Mark--just a great combination of woods and detailing. You have a way of putting together your wood selections that really makes them come alive and together as a cohesive whole. The heel cap is a nice touch as well!

Looking forward to hearing how it sounds...

Mark Hatcher 11-22-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 5134758)
Another beauty, Mark--just a great combination of woods and detailing. You have a way of putting together your wood selections that really makes them come alive and together as a cohesive whole. The heel cap is a nice touch as well!

Looking forward to hearing how it sounds...

Thanks Nemoman,

I appreciate your comment. The abalone in the heel cap has a special significance to the client. He had gotten the abalone back in the eighties while scuba diving in the Caribbean. He cut the piece out of the shell himself and we chose the heel cap framed with Cocobolo as the place to show it.

Mark

mikealpine 11-23-2016 01:49 PM

Mark, I truly appreciate and admire the variety of your work, some with less ornamentation, some with more. All of them are beautifully crafted, and have been a pleasure to view. This guitar is, to me, all about simple elegance, understated but flowing and lovely. I'm sure the buyer will be absolutely thrilled.

justonwo 11-23-2016 02:11 PM

Those Schertlers look really nice. I have only seen the matte gray finish in the past.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=