The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "America's first supercar" (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534339)

frankmcr 01-11-2019 06:34 PM

"America's first supercar"

Not a big car guy myself but these do have some coolness going on.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/articles...m_source=zaius

_zedagive 01-11-2019 06:56 PM

The blue one looks like a stretched out 90s Acura NSX with a Delorean window installed.

Otterhound 01-11-2019 06:58 PM

I will go out on a limb and state that the street versions of the Ford GT40 may qualify while only just a few decades earlier .

imwjl 01-12-2019 07:32 AM

I remember those but with a dad who started collecting cars before an early death I was exposed to American cars decades older that I always though there the first super cars.

Before we had consolidation and a few giants there were small shops and there was really interesting innovation with some name brands. Also innovative materials use.

There were overhead cam engines long ago, front and all wheel drive, hidden headlights and streamlining - really, 1930s stuff. Cords, the Chrysler/Plymouth/DeSoto Air Flow, and Pierce-Arrow had streamlined lights, aluminum and I believe cast aluminum body parts before all that.

I did not get it visiting the Henry Ford museum as a kid in the 1960s and maybe display was different then. The summer before last we visited and you see some of those greats in the context of how long an average family had to work to buy one. That also lets you redefine what a super car is. Some innovators were out of reach and some attainable.

Finally, on the Ford GT comment. That last Henry Ford visit let me get a photo of my wife and born same year most famous Ford GT in the same photo.

BTW, a trip to the Henry Ford and Detroit might surprise you. Take your passport and have dinner at Motor Burger across the river. Do the F150 tour after you see the museum and village to see how far we've come.

Bob Womack 01-12-2019 08:02 AM

Didn't Delorean claim the same thing?

Bob

KevWind 01-12-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otterhound (Post 5945671)
I will go out on a limb and state that the street versions of the Ford GT40 may qualify while only just a few decades earlier .

Yes I was going to mention the GT 40 but perhaps like say even the Ford AC Cobra, may not be posh enough, for the Supercar label .

Silurian 01-12-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 5945995)
Didn't Delorean claim the same thing?

Bob

Renault engine and gearbox and assembled in Northern Ireland. It only had 130 Bhp.

I don't know if that adds up to "American" or "supercar". :D

KevWind 01-12-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silurian (Post 5946045)
Renault engine and gearbox and assembled in Northern Ireland. It only had 130 Bhp.

So it must have been the --- Inconclusive, Reverse, Advance (IRA) shift pattern .

FrankHudson 01-12-2019 11:13 AM

Yup, supercar is a kind of loose and subjective category, and I'm not sure if anyone has ever written an objective definition that is widely accepted.

It is swoopy, impractical looks?

Is it slightly tuned down race technology?

Is it top speed well above the rate of mortal cars?

Is it rarity and high price tag?

Does a car need all of the above to wear a S on it's leotards?

I think Ken Purdy made the case (without using the word) that the Stutz Bearcat was a supercar of it's time. Duesenberg could make a case, but almost all street versions were oversized and had no bodies that referenced current race car practice.

The Mercedes 300SL would certainly qualify. Some other pre-1964 or so cars would also qualify as street-legal versions of contemporary race cars. Ferrari's, Jaguars, Porsches, but none of them were American. I thought of Cunningham of course (a personal favorite), but the street versions while handsome were not particularly racy or extrema in looks. A case could be made for the top of the 1960's Corvette line, though they don't meet the cost factor.

Lance Reventlow/Traco produced at least one street legal Scarab. That so completely meets the rarity rule that it may rule it out.

There's nothing in the Ford GT40 street-legal version that doesn't make it an American supercar before the Vector, unless you write some codicils like must have supercharging, multiple overhead cams, gullwing or scissor doors, etc.

Counter our globalized world, I suppose someone could object to the GT40 based on it having international roots from it's original design onward (based originally on an British design). In my mind that would be like claiming the Marshall guitar amp is American, but....

marty bradbury 01-12-2019 11:29 AM

Oh my! I have a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport! I think it would be a close race. ;)

robj144 01-12-2019 12:31 PM

For those who prefer not to click the link, it's a Vector:

https://cdn.dotcom.sothebys.psdops.c...sothebys-2.jpg

When I was a kid, I had a Vector poster over my bed.

Ozzy the dog 01-12-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silurian (Post 5946045)

The Delorean never got above 88mph either........ But at least it could fly.

flaggerphil 01-14-2019 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otterhound (Post 5945671)

I agree. For it's time, the GT40 was certainly a supercar.

Sage97 01-14-2019 05:36 AM

Do all DeLoreans come with a flux capacitor?

A few months ago, I drove a McLaren. “Supercar” is highly accurate for that car.

Murphy Slaw 01-14-2019 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaggerphil (Post 5947936)
I agree. For it's time, the GT40 was certainly a supercar.

Bingo.

For it's time, there are several others as well.

This is just another one.