The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Two Hands Guitars (shop update) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615065)

Joel Teel 05-08-2021 04:22 PM

Two Hands Guitars (shop update)

5 Attachment(s)
Hello AGF friends...

The last 12 months have been chaotic, so I haven’t had much opportunity to be active on social media during the past year. Life is beginning to slow back down a little bit, so I think it’s a great time to seek out a little more normalcy...so this thread is born, and will be a “catch-all” thread that I’ll continue to update throughout the rest of 2021.

Here’s a little explanation about the crazy outside distractions I’ve been working through...and then a peek into what’s going on inside the shop at Two Hands Guitar Company...

Hurricane Sally blew through, and left us with a lot to clean up and repair. In the height of the storm, the big branches in the huge Sweetgum tree beside our house began snapping off, falling, and piercing through the roof into our attic. I don’t like climbing on roofs, but I made some temporary repairs...and then spent the next month cleaning up everything else.
Attachment 56242

I’ve finally taken the time to finish-out the room upstairs above the shop. After framing, insulation, electrical, sheetrock, trim, paint, lights and flooring...it’s become a really nice and much-needed space for people to get together and come play guitars...so if you’re ever in the area, come on by and hang out for a while. There’s always a guitar or two hanging around.
Attachment 56243

I’m currently in the middle of a total kitchen renovation for my wife. It’s mostly been tedious and boring so far, though I’m now building a custom pantry and kitchen island out of heart pine lumber from a home that I salvaged a few years ago that was built in 1875. Love the wood...hate the work...but Momma’s happier than one of you guys with G.A.S. on N.G.D.
Attachment 56244

I‘ve also spent a few months working with the fine folks at Copperwing Design developing my new website. It’s completed now, and went live a couple of months ago...and I couldn’t be more pleased. Take a look when you have a chance, and let me know what you think...
https://www.twohandsguitars.com

Here are a couple of teaser pictures of two new spec guitars that I’ve just finished. I’ve implemented some new ideas with these two guitars, and I’m really pleased with the results. I’ll update this thread with more pictures and information about them soon, along with some progress pictures of a really cool guitar that I’m building for Tom’s B.I.G. show in September.
Attachment 56245

Attachment 56246

Thanks for looking, and check back again because I intend to post shop updates regularly...

joel

SJ VanSandt 05-08-2021 04:47 PM

Looking forward to seeing you in Sept., if the creek don't rise, and some day I'm going to make that threatened visit to Fairhope too. I have a good friend who lives just up the road in Daphne, and fond memories of Gulf Shores that I would like to add to.

TomB'sox 05-08-2021 06:20 PM

Boy Joel, that is quite a mess you have been through. The room above the shop looks fantastic. I am glad you are back to building guitars and can't wait to see what you have going for B.I.G. (the return)!!!

fitness1 05-08-2021 06:45 PM

Wow - great work in all aspects - but those two guitars are GORGEOUS!!!

Oh - and the website is VERY well done!

Guitars44me 05-08-2021 11:13 PM

Yep!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6711846)
Boy Joel, that is quite a mess you have been through. The room above the shop looks fantastic. I am glad you are back to building guitars and can't wait to see what you have going for B.I.G. (the return)!!!

What a bunch of stuff!!! The kitchen island of salvaged Pine sounds 👍 Nice.

Glad to see you back here, too!!!

Nice teaser shots....

I'm along for the ride

Paul

perttime 05-09-2021 12:16 AM

Looking good!

I'm not in the market, and I'm on another continent, but it is always good to spot luthiers that I have not noticed before.

It is some time since I noticed guitars with sound ports. I think I've only ever had one in my hands. It was about 00 size with flame birch back and sides. It sounded surprisingly "big" to me. Perhaps having the sound port in the lower bout played a role there.

mikealpine 05-10-2021 03:15 PM

I am definitely looking forward to hearing and playing your guitars, my friend.

Steve Kinnaird 05-10-2021 08:18 PM

Holy cow, Joel. That before and after shot is stunning. You made some excellent lemonade out of those lemons. Looking forward to seeing you and your guitars again in September.

Steve

Joel Teel 05-11-2021 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt (Post 6711770)
Looking forward to seeing you in Sept., if the creek don't rise, and some day I'm going to make that threatened visit to Fairhope too. I have a good friend who lives just up the road in Daphne, and fond memories of Gulf Shores that I would like to add to.

C’mon by, Stan.....I’ll leave the light on for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by perttime (Post 6711990)
Looking good!

I'm not in the market, and I'm on another continent, but it is always good to spot luthiers that I have not noticed before.

It is some time since I noticed guitars with sound ports. I think I've only ever had one in my hands. It was about 00 size with flame birch back and sides. It sounded surprisingly "big" to me. Perhaps having the sound port in the lower bout played a role there.

Thanks perttime.....I find soundports to be so invaluable, I offer them as standard equipment on all of my guitars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6711846)

Tom, Throughout all of these distractions, I still made time to continue working on my client’s guitars. My inconveniences shouldn’t affect my obligation to them. The two guitars shown above are spec builds, and will be coming to B.I.G. With me unless they sell beforehand. I’ve also designed and am building a brand new double-0 that will make it’s debut at the show. Here’s a teaser:
Attachment 56344

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness1 (Post 6711865)
Wow - great work in all aspects - but those two guitars are GORGEOUS!!!
Oh - and the website is VERY well done!

Thank you fitness1.....I hope to have more photos up soon, and then sale listings to follow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6711984)
What a bunch of stuff!!! The kitchen island of salvaged Pine sounds [emoji106] Nice.

Glad to see you back here, too!!!

Nice teaser shots....

I'm along for the ride

Paul

Hi Paul. I’ve worked with some exotics that smell absolutely intoxicating.....and this 150-yr-old antique heart pine sits right alongside of them in that heavenly realm of blissful scents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 6713488)
Holy cow, Joel. That before and after shot is stunning. You made some excellent lemonade out of those lemons. Looking forward to seeing you and your guitars again in September.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I’m looking forward to visiting with you again also.....and seeing what you’ve been creating in that magical workshop of yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikealpine (Post 6713191)
I am definitely looking forward to hearing and playing your guitars, my friend.

Hey Mike.....I’m glad you’ll be making the trip once again. Looking forward to visiting with you!!

Joel Teel 05-15-2021 08:33 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Hello Folks,
If you’re interested in looking, I just posted specs and pictures of my two latest builds over in the AGF Marketplace:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=615702

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=615704

I’m currently working on a new model that I intent to unveil at Tom’s B.I.G. Show in September. It’s my take on a double-0 sized guitar, with a 25” scale-length and a 12th-fret neck to body join. The back and sides are a fantastic set of flamed-Pyinma, which is a Southeast Asian hardwood. The soundboard is mastergrade Alaskan Sitka Spruce, and the neck is one-piece Honduran Mahogany. I’ll tell more about it later, but here are some progress pictures:

Attachment 56672

Attachment 56673

Attachment 56674

Attachment 56676

Attachment 56677

Attachment 56678

Attachment 56679

Attachment 56680

Attachment 56681

Attachment 56682

Thanks for looking,
joel

TomB'sox 05-15-2021 09:03 PM

Wow, that back is incredible. Is that the same wood that a friend of yours often uses for purfling?

Joel Teel 05-19-2021 09:09 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6717587)
Wow, that back is incredible. Is that the same wood that a friend of yours often uses for purfling?

Yes Tom...Steve (The Edwinson) and I both use it for various accoutrements. As a matter of fact, you’ll see it in other parts of this guitar build too...such as the Pyinma-burl used in the rosette:

Attachment 56853

This build is moving right along. Here you see the neck and tail blocks being glued to the rims:

Attachment 56852

The treble side of the kerfed linings are installed in this picture:

Attachment 56854

Now it’s time to prepare for the the arm bevel:

Attachment 56856

Attachment 56857

The linings and bevel-support block are complete, and I’ve fitted the back to the rims:

Attachment 56858

Here the top is being fitted to the rims:

Attachment 56859

And finally a few internal pictures prior to closing up the box:

Attachment 56860

Attachment 56861

Attachment 56862

Attachment 56863

Thanks for checking in on the thread,
joel

Joel Teel 05-27-2021 07:49 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Here’s an update on the Pyinma “Venus 00”

Here’s the soundboard being glued-up in the go-deck:
Attachment 57177

Here’s the completed box, along with the beginning of the neck construction:
Attachment 57178
Attachment 57179

Here are a couple of closeup shots of the Katalox bindings and arm bevel, and the Pyinma-bound sound-port:
Attachment 57180
Attachment 57181

...and a sneak peek of the next build (flamed Tropical Mango and quilted Alaskan Sitka):
Attachment 57182
Attachment 57183

...as always, thank you for taking the time to look.
joel

TomB'sox 05-27-2021 09:02 AM

They both look great, but look at the Mango!!! It would be hard for me to finish one before I would want to get started on the next one!!!!

Joel Teel 05-29-2021 08:17 AM

Two Hands Guitars (shop update)

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6727032)
They both look great, but look at the Mango!!! It would be hard for me to finish one before I would want to get started on the next one!!!!

Yes...me too!!! I’ve never finished one without having started another...and I’ve always got a spec-build going on in the background...like the recently-completed Koa/Redwood “Luna”

Here’s where we are with the neck construction...the fretboard is finished, and headstock is now profiled with a completed faceplate:
Attachment 57314
Attachment 57315
Attachment 57316
Attachment 57317