The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Right to Left Handed - Bracing? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517866)

Bachian 08-06-2018 08:59 PM

Right to Left Handed - Bracing?

I recently got a Cordoba C7. I flipped the bridge saddle, and strung it left handed. I didn't see any need to change the neck nut, upon examination.

But I noticed inside, in the top bracing, there was a treble bar. Will the treble bar have a negative affect on the sound if played left handed?

WaddyT 08-07-2018 09:59 AM

Not likely. The top responds the same way regardless of the direction of the bracing. It's why I use symmetrical bracing.

Bachian 08-07-2018 05:37 PM

Right to Left Handed - Bracing?

Someone suggested I move thread to here.

I recently got a Cordoba C7. I flipped the bridge saddle, and strung it left handed. I didn't see any need to change the neck nut, upon examination.

But I noticed inside, in the top bracing, there was a treble bar. Will the treble bar have a negative affect on the sound if played left handed?

Frank Ford 08-07-2018 07:04 PM

NO problem!

Bachian 08-07-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ford (Post 5803654)
NO problem!

As in, "No, don't do it! It's a problem!" Or as in, "No, it won't be a problem, will be fine to play strung left handed." ?

Shuksan 08-07-2018 07:35 PM

There was no need to change the nut? The low E-string fit into the former high-E string nut slot and the high E-string isn't wiggling around in the former low E-string nut slot?

nacluth 08-07-2018 07:45 PM

If it plays in close enough intonation for you, play it. It may not sound as good as a true lefty, but if you don’t have one around to compare it to, then nothing to worry about. If the top for some reason begins to distort (doubtful) then string it up normal.

Bachian 08-07-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuksan (Post 5803685)
There was no need to change the nut? The low E-string fit into the former high-E string nut slot and the high E-string isn't wiggling around in the former low E-string nut slot?

No, both cuts in the nut were the same size and seem to be holding well.

Ben-Had 08-07-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bachian (Post 5803748)
No, both cuts in the nut were the same size and seem to be holding well.

Well that's weird but it will play fine either left or right handed.

mirwa 08-08-2018 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bachian (Post 5802855)

Being a Classical, saddle position is not as critical as an acoustic, the Cordobas also have the chunky nuts slots, so does not surprise me you can just string it straight up as a lefty and play away.

For note, when I change a Guitar from Rh to Lh, I do the following

Definite

New Nut
Fill saddle slot and recut for Lh
New Saddle
New Strings
New Side fretboard Markers

Optional extras

Fill Rh fret markers in
Remove and replace bridge with new Lh Bridge
Remove internal tone bars and fabricate new ones for Lh version

Steve

Alan Carruth 08-08-2018 09:40 AM

The fact of asymmetry matters more than the direction.

Earl49 08-08-2018 12:39 PM

The only thing that matters is that you like the tone, playing feel, and intonation. If it works - and apparently it did - there is your answer......