The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Build thread – Baranik 00 in blue spruce and koa (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544744)

nobo 06-24-2020 10:47 AM

Congrats Colins!

Great threat. Fabulous looking guitar. Really love the colour scheme and the that dyed blue binding. Outstanding. And the photos with the car - wow! Stunning! And for where you can't hang then guitar on the wall, they'd look great!

Enjoy!

Best,

Dan

Rwpierce 06-24-2020 08:46 PM

Beautiful guitar and that Koa back is absolutely stunning.

colins 06-25-2020 03:58 AM

Thanks guys :)

Really enjoying having a 00 (this is my first) for the feel of it and the immediacy of the sound. And very glad we went with the deeper body to give a little extra oomph.

memphis1 07-04-2020 06:51 AM

Build thread – Baranik 00 in blue spruce and koa

As others have said; this was a really fun build to follow, and that is an incredibly beautiful guitar! Do you find the tone spectrum much different than your CX models from Mike?

colins 07-05-2020 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memphis1 (Post 6428298)
As others have said; this was a really fun build to follow, and that is an incredibly beautiful guitar! Do you find the tone spectrum much different than your CX models from Mike?

Glad you enjoyed the build!

The tone is very similar. Mike’s acoustics all have a distinctive sound, which is then nuanced by body size, woods etc.

I can’t do a complete comparison yet as the CXs are over ten years old and have really settled into their sound. The 00 is still a youngster. But a couple of things I am noticing are the 00 having a slightly faster attack (small body volume?) and that it does not to lose any bass relative the CXs. The sensitivity is there, i.e. full tone even at low volumes. I am also hearing a bit more sustain in the 00. The wenge double sides may help with this but it could also be Mike’s growth/change as a builder since he made my CXs.

In summary, they are all pretty amazing guitars!

Hanter 07-05-2020 09:03 AM

This is an amazing build. Very very progressive in design elements which makes the guitar special in many ways. That entire headstock with the tuner buttons is spectacular. Is the top purfling also burl+resin?

colins 07-06-2020 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanter (Post 6429201)
This is an amazing build. Very very progressive in design elements which makes the guitar special in many ways. That entire headstock with the tuner buttons is spectacular. Is the top purfling also burl+resin?

You picked it with the purfling ;). Mike came up with that idea and it IMHO it works really well. The pieces are selected to feature more of the darker colours on the treble side of the guitar and the lighter colours on the bass side, to work better with the bevel.

As with the headstock and the rosette, it is really nice to look at up close.

riorider 07-11-2020 10:48 AM

Just had a great few moments re-viewing the guitar, Col. Very happy it's continuing to please you and "snuggle" in to the collection!!

Best,
Phil

colins 07-11-2020 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riorider (Post 6435039)
Just had a great few moments re-viewing the guitar, Col. Very happy it's continuing to please you and "snuggle" in to the collection!!

Best,
Phil

I really must get around to putting the little "You are here" arrow on the headstock!