The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Best strings for a Rainsong Jumbo? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494926)

RandyOK 01-01-2018 11:32 AM

Best strings for a Rainsong Jumbo?

I have a Rainsong CO-JM1100 N1 that is up for sale and I want to put some new strings on it that will bring out the best in that particular guitar.

What are your suggestions? I am not sure what kind of strings are on it as I just bought it from someone else on Reverb.

I appreciate your input.

And one more question.... would "Power Pins" do anything for a carbon fiber guitar?
http://www.f1pick.com/bigrock-innova...l#powerpinsbuy

jdinco 01-01-2018 12:16 PM

I would put Elixir Nano PB on it, there's probably some other strings a little better, and a lot of strings worse. But it should sound pretty good with the Elixirs and they will last a long while. Good luck with the sale.

Claytone 01-01-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyOK (Post 5587756)
I have a Rainsong CO-JM1100 N1 that is up for sale and I want to put some new strings on it that will bring out the best in that particular guitar.
What are your suggestions? I am not sure what kind of strings are on it as I just bought it from someone else on Reverb.

I appreciate your input.
And one more question.... would "Power Pins" do anything for a carbon fiber guitar?

I have been experimenting with Cleartone Lights on my Emerald, and so far have been impressed with the tone & quality Randy...

I do not know how they would sound on your Rainsong however...I still use D'Addario EXP 16's, and Elixers on some other guitars...

I cannot help with your "power pin" question though... :):):)

AZLiberty 01-01-2018 12:38 PM

I have Elixir PB Nano Lights on my Rainsong shorty (much smaller body obviously)

Sounds Best is of course highly subjective.

SpruceTop 01-01-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyOK (Post 5587756)

I appreciate your input.

http://www.f1pick.com/bigrock-innova...l#powerpinsbuy

Use Elixir Nanoweb strings, the same ones RainSong installed on the Jumbo.

I wouldn't even try Power Pins on a RainSong as I feel the guitar already has everything going for it tonewise as it came from RainSong.

Captain Jim 01-01-2018 01:18 PM

Another vote for Elixir PB Nanowebs (I put a set of those on my Shorty yesterday), BUT the real question here is...

After all the angst, you bought a carbon fiber guitar, didn't tell us about it, and now it is already up for sale???

What's up with that? Inquiring minds want to know.

RandyOK 01-01-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 5587924)
Another vote for Elixir PB Nanowebs (I put a set of those on my Shorty yesterday), BUT the real question here is...

After all the angst, you bought a carbon fiber guitar, didn't tell us about it, and now it is already up for sale???

What's up with that? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hey Captain Jim!
Well... I wish I had waited to play one in person before buying.
Its not a bad guitar by any means... nothing wrong with it... it has a Big warm tone, but I guess I still prefer wood and Ive never really played a jumbo either... I guess I also prefer a GC GA or OM or 000 ... now I know ha! I just couldn’t bond with this one. I know somebody else will. Trying to find a good home for her.

RandyOK 01-01-2018 02:57 PM

Best strings for a Rainsong Jumbo?

Captain Jim : Here is a link to a sound test video that I did for it.
https://youtu.be/w-Lpa2JuXgE

Captain Jim 01-01-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyOK (Post 5588062)
Captain Jim : Here is a link to a sound test video that I did for it.
https://youtu.be/w-Lpa2JuXgE

Hi Randy,

I got the PM with that link, but have playing in the guitar room all afternoon, on this particularly snotty weather day.

That sounds good! Sorry to hear you couldn't bond with it. Lots of guitars out there, and life is too short to play something that doesn't get you fired up. Good luck with the sale.

Jim

MiG50 01-02-2018 04:27 PM

For re-sale purposes, I'd put original equipment back on the instrument, in this case the Elixirs as mentioned already. They aren't my favorite strings, but they are popular, predictable, and the coating makes them more durable for repeated "test drives."

Sorry you didn't bond with this one, but I'm sure you won't have much trouble finding a new home for such an amazing instrument. I'd recommend taking the Rainsong Concert Hybrid WS for a spin, mine is amazing! And it's more in line with the sizes you mentioned, close to a Grand (Symphony/Concert/Auditorium) size.

RandyOK 01-02-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiG50 (Post 5589383)
For re-sale purposes, I'd put original equipment back on the instrument, in this case the Elixirs as mentioned already. They aren't my favorite strings, but they are popular, predictable, and the coating makes them more durable for repeated "test drives."

Sorry you didn't bond with this one, but I'm sure you won't have much trouble finding a new home for such an amazing instrument. I'd recommend taking the Rainsong Concert Hybrid WS for a spin, mine is amazing! And it's more in line with the sizes you mentioned, close to a Grand (Symphony/Concert/Auditorium) size.

Elixir Nanowebs seem to be the consensus. .
Yeah, The WS was what I was originally wanting, but found this at a decent price and took a gamble. Like I said it’s not s bad guitar by any means... it’s just not for me.

AZLiberty 01-03-2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiG50 (Post 5589383)
For re-sale purposes, I'd put original equipment back on the instrument, in this case the Elixirs as mentioned already. .

The OEM strings are 80/20 Elixirs. I think all of us suggested PB Elixirs. :D

RandyOK 01-04-2018 08:41 AM

I may try the 80/20 Elixers. The tone of this Jumbo is VERY warm already.
It could use a little brightening up. IMHO

guitararmy 01-04-2018 08:59 AM

I have Martin Retro Monel strings on my Rainsong Jumbo because they sound nice and look really good with the shark inlays, as well as with the blackness of the Rainsong.

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 01-04-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 5587870)
Use Elixir Nanoweb strings, the same ones RainSong installed on the Jumbo.

I wouldn't even try Power Pins on a RainSong as I feel the guitar already has everything going for it tonewise as it came from RainSong.

^^this^^ especially if you are re-selling it.