The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What exactly is an x10? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519257)

nuttyprof 08-21-2018 02:18 PM

What exactly is an x10?

Seeing as none of us had ever actuation heard the new x10, what are the speculations as far as what it can actually do? Is it essentially an acoustic guitar that can plug in and sound like an electric?

Captain Jim 08-21-2018 05:13 PM

The X10 is foremost: another body size option from our friends at Emerald. Close in size to the new X7, but a full scale neck (25.5") with a 1 11/16" nut width standard. A bit smaller than the X20. The neck profile is said to be thinner than Emerald's standard X7 or X20... so, I see it as an acoustic that will have some characteristics of an electric, i.e. a "faster" neck.

One of the participants here received an X10 without a pickup - so, pure acoustic.

The pickup options on the X10 give you the opportunity to have a humbucking pickup, along with a more standard acoustic pickup, and midi (for direct recording into your computer, and using your guitar to achieve sounds not typically considered "guitar-like." I have used a midi keyboard before, but never a guitar. You get to choose how your guitar will be equipped, from no pickup to 3 different pickup "levels."

For those that play plugged in, the X10 should (I say "should" because I haven't gotten hands on) give you plenty of tone options when amplified. And the body dimensions should be nice acoustically when not plugged in. (Faith in Alistair and Emerald.)

From my perspective, this guitar is a step out of the typical acoustic guitar "comfort zone." Plugged in tones are not just a matter of the pickup, but also will be colored by the amp used.

I have mentioned here that I am a fan of the Taylor T5. I think that guitar is misunderstood by a lot of players, thinking it is "an electric that can sound acoustic." I have gotten good tones out of mine, and have used it with an A/B/Y switch to go between an acoustic amp and an electric guitar amp. I see the new X10 as having similar options, but leaning much stronger to the acoustic side.

Time will tell when more of these make it "into the wild."

casualmusic 08-21-2018 05:45 PM

(Capt, I was plugging away at the same time on a similar response but a much slower typist.)

Yeah I was waiting for the new X10 for acoustic jamming away from home. Durable for summer/winter car travel and semi compact (especially if short necked) for occasional air and bus travel. New X10 was a surprise.

Swampdigger wrote that the unamplified X10 plays and sounds great like his X20 and older X7. Good for acoustic players.

Seems that Emerald sees a wider market and added features to attract more outdoor amplified acoustic performers, and sell to electric guitarists who want to add acoustic sound without giving up electric guitar features.

For outdoor amplified performance (also targeted by the Rainsong CH line) the X10 is a comfortable size not too big or small. And the bigger sound box is good for casual jamming at festivals. Emerald customization for even better look and feel.

For electric guitarists cue the narrower electric spec neck, 24 fret two octave range (e4 to e6 at the high end reaching the top of the violin, mandolin and human soprano voice), amplification to power up the notes at the high end, amplification allowing very light strings for easy fretboard acrobatics, long 25.5" scale to minimize cramping between frets at the high end, adjustable bridge to micro adjust each string, multiple pickups to blend the sound from pure acoustic to full electric, and USB MIDI connectivity (like Godin Multiac) for electronic processing. Of course no-one needs every feature but coverage means fewer deal breakers. The X10 body is not too big moving up from electric guitars, and loud enough for casual playing, jamming and song writing.

AZLiberty 08-21-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casualmusic (Post 5815212)
Of course no-one needs every feature but coverage means fewer deal breakers.

For quite a bit of us, what we really wanted was something the X10 size, but without all the gee-gaws.

If I wanted to order an X10, I would customize it by swapping in an X20 neck, deleting all the pickups, substituting a standard bridge/saddle. Which would simply add too much to the cost. :(

JimCA 08-21-2018 08:28 PM

The X7, X10 and X20 are differentiated by their bodies. Emerald will build the same neck for any of the three, although you may have to pay more on a model if that neck isn't standard for that model.

The X10 body is smack-dab in the middle between the X7 and X20:

- depth: X10 = X20 = 4.75", X7 = 4.5"
- length: X7 = X10 = 18", X20 = 19"
- width: X7 = 14.25", X10 = 14.75", X20 = 15.25"

Tone differences, playabilty differences, cost differences - TBD

Captain Jim 08-21-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZLiberty (Post 5815370)
For quite a bit of us, what we really wanted was something the X10 size, but without all the gee-gaws.

If I wanted to order an X10, I would customize it by swapping in an X20 neck, deleting all the pickups, substituting a standard bridge/saddle. Which would simply add too much to the cost. :(

Hey, Mark. Now that the X7 is larger, it would be only one change (for the X20 size neck), which would get you pretty darn close to the X10 size.

I think we have gotten used to the fact that Emerald will make individual changes that the other CF makers can't or won't do (yes, I know you can get the NS or N2 neck on various RainSongs).

I am excited to hear what the X10 can do with the pickup options. And, for a guy with a previous generation X7 and an X20, it really is the in-between size. No options for the level two pickups on the X7 or X20 (that I'm aware of), so the X10 ticks off a lot of "I like that" for me.

AZLiberty 08-21-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 5815411)
Hey, Mark. Now that the X7 is larger, it would be only one change (for the X20 size neck), which would get you pretty darn close to the X10 size.

True, the new X7 is much larger than the old one. My next emerald will probably be an X20-12 though.

Hmmn, I wonder if the new X7 is big enough to make a decent 12 without sounding jangly...

nuttyprof 08-21-2018 10:07 PM

I think I'm most curious what the x10 will sound like plugged in. I'd love an electric guitar that I could use occasionally unplugged as an acoustic.

Swampdigger 08-21-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Yup ....me too but.....I have an x10 now. So this one is no pickups ,individual saddles and the x10 neck. The neck is good for me and actually I would probably say maybe i like the x10 neck better. The x10 is brighter than the x20 and brighter than the old x7. I think the saddles are part of that. I asked Emerald about going to a one piece saddle but the bridge is cut for the individual saddles. Had I been making an order for a guitar, I likely would have asked for the single piece saddle. For me this guitar was just the right guitar at the right time. This x10 doesn't sound like the old x7 or the x20. The tonal balance is different. Its kind of like the old x7 and x20 are sibblings and the x10 is a first cousin and really cute.

casualmusic 08-21-2018 11:30 PM

Quote:

Amen, me too.

Was waiting for a basic Emerald in the X10 body size.

Now waiting to hear if customers confirm Emerald's statement that the new X7 sounds comparable to the X10 because I prefer the 34" length for travelling. The sound might be close with a body just 1/4" thinner (5 percent) and a bit narrower (6 percent).

Like Swampdigger, I would be OK with a basic Artisan X10.

The 1/16" narrower neck is OK, or I could install a new nut with 1/16" wider string spacing (1/80" per string gap).

Strumalot 08-22-2018 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampdigger (Post 5815463)
The neck is good for me and actually I would probably say maybe i like the x10 neck better.

Very curious about the neck and how it would compare to an electric like a Srat. My thin neck GX is close in feel and makes going back and forth seamless.

My old style X10 is comparatively ~ and noticeably ~ wide and flat.

nuttyprof 08-22-2018 04:49 PM

So I'm guessing the X10 is like a Taylor T5, but leaning more towards the acoustic side, rather than the electric side like the T5.

Guest 928 08-22-2018 05:30 PM

As another forum member pointed out, the basic element of the 10 is size. I've liked the size and think of it as human--not too small, not to big, just the right comfort zone.

After that, the sky is the limit. Neck shape, scale, and so forth are all negotiable. It is a veritable multi-tool.

casualmusic 08-22-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuttyprof (Post 5816106)
So I'm guessing the X10 is like a Taylor T5, but leaning more towards the acoustic side, rather than the electric side like the T5.

From the specs and description on the Emerald website they aim to be better on both sides.

The electric guitar side has multiple functions appealing to hard core electric guitarists so they will want to cross over. And MIDI for those interested. Call this obstacle/objection removal.

The acoustic side has a sound box that is full sized for good sound and contoured for comfort like a stratocaster, compared to the shallower and sharp edge T5. Call this no compromises.

Captain Jim 08-22-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuttyprof (Post 5816106)

See Post #2 in this thread. I like my T5. I expect the X20 to be a completely different instrument.