The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Musical Instruments (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   NEED opinions on Resonator Guitar... Biscuit vs. Spider. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311249)

Jackson Quinn 09-22-2013 03:10 AM

NEED opinions on Resonator Guitar... Biscuit vs. Spider.

Hey, I figured this might be the better place to post... I consider resonators to be an "Acoustic Guitar" but they definitely have their own sound/uses.

I'm thinking about getting a resonator. I've played several in passing, haven't really had time to sit with one for a good long period. I also really want a baritone and I'm considering ordering direct from National Resophonic, so getting a stab at playing instruments in the store and leaving with the best one is a little less applicable to my situation. I have, however, figured out a few things taste-wise for myself.

Now, I don't play slide. That's not to say I won't learn, but it's not really my main interest here. I've been really digging the resonator sound for finger picking. The difficulty I'm having is that having tried several Biscuit-Bridge and Spider-Cone designs, I'm really torn... I like them both for very different reasons. They have a totally different sound from one another. Keeping in mind that this instrument isn't intended for slide, I would like to hear from resonator owners which design they believe to be more versatile/well suited for this kind of playing. What I play is blues-influenced, but it isn't exactly blues. There's a good deal of country-style picking too, as well as some softer folky stuff.

The spidercone guitars have a lot more sustain, and sound good chorded. They have a much more brilliant sound, but they tend to have a nasally twanginess that I like one moment and the next it gets on my nerves. The biscuit resos have a plunky, banjo-ish quality that I find very appealing and the quick decay would be good for blues picking and ragtimey stuff... but they don't have a ton of sustain by comparison, and I worry that I may run out of uses for one considering I also like big bluegrass chords in my music. I really like both, but can't afford two (can't even really afford one right now; still in the preliminary stages). Just fishing around for opinions. Obviously I'm going to make the choice for myself in the end, but it can't hurt to get some perspective from some more experienced pickers/sliders.

Whaddaya think?

frankhond 09-22-2013 05:59 AM

Have you checked out the resorocket? It's supposedly somewhere in between...

I have a biscuit, fingerpicking and some slide. Dont like the spider sound at all. The sustain for sliding is a bit short but the exact banjo type sound you describe is perfect. I think if I would slide more I would perhaps look at something with longer sustain, but not an issue right now since I'm mainly into old blues thpe stuff. If you really want bluegrass pedal steel type of sounds, the sustain might be a tad short.

Mine is a Gretsch Alligator and they are quite good value for the money. Why not get two diiferent types of those, and buy that expensive national once you know what you like.

One more thing, I tried some different ones and the Boxcar was long sustain but still a warmer sound than the metal body spiders. Maybe something like that?

Grenade 09-22-2013 06:04 AM

I have a metal body resonator by Epiphone. It's a bisquit bridge and I like it but it's heavy as hell. I'm going to upgrade to a Beard cone. I put a K&K Bisquit pickup on it and I'm thinking of adding a Lace Dobro Neck Sensor to it. If I get another it will be a wood body with a spider for a completely different sound.

tdq 09-22-2013 01:34 PM

You might try some of the tricones - they have more sustain than a single cone biscuit, are less "clangy", bit don't have that nasal spider sound.
Then there is the wood vs steel factor. From what you've described a M1 tricone could be a contender.

Wade Hampton 09-22-2013 05:01 PM

I agree. A wooden tricone would be the best of all worlds for you.

whm

Jackson Quinn 09-22-2013 05:46 PM

Thanks for the replies... yeah, I was actually considering getting a Gretsch Alligator (same model and everything, I kid you not) and seeing how I felt about it after a time. Then I could sell it (or keep it) when the time came; the loss wouldn't be all that bad, since they aren't super expensive. It's still an option, but I keep finding my way over to thinking, "Why get something that isn't really what you want only to sell it later?" Of course, I may find I really like it, and keep it in the end. Who knows?

Yeah, I think you guys are right about the tricones. It's always been an option, I just really don't like the way they look. But they really are a middle ground between the two options (with different specs leaning more in one direction or the other) and they deserve some consideration. I'm going to have to get over my little quibbles with them: I really DO love the way they sound.

Grenade 09-22-2013 06:03 PM

I saw on Beard's site you can custom order one. https://www.beardguitars.com/guitar%...triphonic.htmlBet it's expensive.

Neal 09-22-2013 06:10 PM

Regarding the Tricone to the single cone, keep in mind your playing style, with a single cone, the learning curve is easy regarding right hand damping (assuming you are right handed) as the cover bar is over the usual place. On a Tricone it's placed in a different spot. I have both, and have learned, but prefer the single cone for a lot of stuff, and find it more versatile.
Just something to ponder is all, if you only can have one.....

Jackson Quinn 09-22-2013 06:27 PM

Yeah, that's valuable advice. The tricones are also more expensive, and that extra couple hundred can be a killer sometimes. Honestly, I keep going back and forth, and tricones have been in the mix so far too, but I keep coming back to the biscuit. I like the sound of tricones, but the ones I like the best are out of my price range... and say what you want about "It's the sound that matters," if you don't really like a guitar aesthetically you're less likely to pick it up as much as you should. Well, I'll speak for myself, sorry: "I'M less likely to pick it up as much as I should."

I should likely go with my gut. I think I'm trying to find one that does everything really well, and that's just not how resonators are. I've got a nice flattop for big, open chords and country picking. The biscuit will give me the old time sound I want, so that's probably where I'm heading.

Granted, it was literally just a couple of MINUTES ago that I was leaning toward tricones... I just like resonators. They all sound cool (and different) and that makes it hard to decide.

But thanks to all for your two cents, and I welcome any more advice anyone might have.

Teleplucker 09-22-2013 08:11 PM

Elderly has a used NRP baritone, Lark St has a used El trovador that looks really nice and they offer the best discount on new Nationals that I have found. A wooden body with a single cone has a lot of sustain and is a great instrument for fingerstyle playing.
Go for it, you will not regret owning a National.

blue 09-22-2013 10:27 PM

It's not about opinion. It's about sound. Listen to them and decide what you like. Chris Thomas King uses a spider for fingerpicking. And sounds great.

my personal preference for an all arounder is a tricone national. But between the spider and the biscuit, if you don't dig the twang of dobro, a wood singlecone/biscuit national will surprise you with its sustain. Very different from metal ones. A wooden National singlecone is a great all around guitar. For finger and flatpicking. Super punchy. Better than flattop guitar sustain. And pretty light too! And the OO size is super comfortable for me. Lots of choices these days too if you want to buy new. If you don't mind used, Estralitas and Radiotones are readily available on the used market at great prices. I've always wanted an Estralita from an aesthetic standpoint, but my radiotone is wonderful guitar, despite it's more modern appearance.

Jackson Quinn 09-22-2013 11:26 PM

Well, that's the problem; so far, on sound alone, it's a total wash. I see different uses for each of the three cone configurations, and that's not even including body materials, etc. I like 'em all. So I figured it might be worth seeing what actual owners think on the subject, and I think I've gotten some valuable feedback; anyhow, I'm feeling more and more set on the biscuit. I think I like that sound the best, I just worried that it might not be as versatile as the others. But even if it isn't in the end, I'd rather have an instrument that does something very well than one that has more options but isn't quite the sound I was looking for.

Thanks for the replies/advice.

Jackson Quinn 09-23-2013 08:13 AM

P.S.:

Charlie Parr just convinced me. Have you ever seen that guy? He plays a lot of slide and super bluesy stuff, but he also does a lot of straight finger-pickin' on old Duo/Trio-lians. And it sounds like what I want; I just haven't had enough time with a good biscuit bridge reso in a quiet place to really decide. But if he can do it, I can at least get close. Having to rely on Youtube demos isn't a good thing. I've played plenty of resonators in music stores but very few Nationals, so to hear instruments I often resort to this method. But it really doesn't give you that much of an idea of what a given instrument sounds like, as there are mics and recording devices between you and the guitar, not to mention the most important thing: the person playing isn't you. So much of the sound of an instrument has to do with playing style, you're not going to get what you need to make a decision unless you find someone doing exactly what you do (or want to be doing, as much as talent allows). But this Charlie Parr guy just broke the camel's back, I'm in for a biscuit-bridge for sure. Youtube him playing "Mastodon" if you're into that sort of thing.

blue 09-23-2013 09:35 AM

Awesome! I'm really not a spider guy... If you can, definitely check out a wooden National single for sustain. I have a Style N to compare the Radiotone to, and they are in completely different leagues. I love the brass N for Old Jazz, ragtime, caribbean, etc., but if I just "need a guitar" with no specific application in mind, the radiotone gets the nod.

The wood nationals are great "campfire" guitars too. Very durable, very stable in different conditions, and loud! :D

There are lots of high quality comparisons on Youtube of the various national single cones, both wooden and metal, recorded at the National factory with Bob Brozman, and Mike Dowling.

frank4001 09-23-2013 11:01 AM

I've been using a Radiotone Bendaway for the last 2yrs. Bought it after doing some research. Google it up and you'l find guys saying it has sustain like a tri-cone and stronger bass responce..Not sure about all that but three cones looked complicated for my needs plus the single cone fit the gig better.

At least one gig a week between March and November and lots of other gigs. 4 this past week.

It's a rock. Large, comfortable, wide neck. Stays in tune. Perfect action that has not been touched since I first got it. Llightweight compared to my metal body Dean. Really nice bass responce and the wood has a more country-ish type of sound I guess I'd say. I didn't pay a whole lot more than an import either. I bought it used. I back up Blind Misssissippi Morris here in Memphis in a blues duo mostly (we play BB King's every Tuesady) but ocaasionally with a band. This guitar always comes...

Its set up with a homemade "Hot Plate" because I needed a silent pickup. I use a Dimarzio VV Tele PU. John Pearce Nickel wound 0.13 guage strings. I'm amazed how well they hold up too..and sound good for a long time. I use a plastic thumb pick and brass national finger picks....all through a mic'ed up Deluxe Reverb. So simple its silly... I love it..

One man's experience...