The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Yamaha LL6 vs. LL16 vs. other suggestions (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195280)

Dr. Overtones 09-26-2010 03:14 PM

Yamaha LL6 vs. LL16 vs. other suggestions

I was looking at maybe getting either the LL6 or LL16, but I was just wondering - is there really a noticeable difference in sound between the two (even though one has laminate back and sides)? Also, would the LL6 be a lot more stable with humidity and weather changes, or is the LL16 pretty stable as is for a rosewood guitar?

Also, I'm also only looking at these because they're priced well, sound great as far as Youtube can tell me, have a 25.5" scale length, a solid spruce top (engelmann too!), and a 1.75" nut width. I'm a mahogany lover, though, so if anyone can think of something in this price range with those specs and mahogany back and sides (dreadnoughts and OM's only please), I would love to have a few more suggestions.

Also, about rosewood - I've heard it's "slower" than mahogany. I like throwing in fast licks whenever appropriate, and I do play a little gypsy jazz occasionally, so would the "slowness" in attack and decay really be that noticeable? I'm not really a "deep, slow, overtone-rich fingerstyle" kinda guy, so if the notes are gonna sound like they're crashing into each other, that's no good.

Thanks.

Buck62 09-27-2010 01:08 AM

I played the LL6 and LL16 side-by-side for a couple hours one day. The most noticeable difference was that the LL16 has a more piano-like musical tone and longer sustain than the LL6. Needless to say, I bought the LL16 and I'm glad I did. I would've kicked myself if I didn't, I'm sure of it. Adding a Colosi bone saddle took it to a whole new level. I brought it to my favorite guitar shop and passed it around and the guitar techs drooled over it's tone and playability. It raised a few eyebrows and caused a few jaws to drop. :)

GHS 09-27-2010 05:53 AM

If you play mostly fingerstyle you may consider the LS6 in the Yamaha line up. Same price range and neck profile as the LL6 but OM size, very comfortable to play and sounds great.

marcus20VT 09-27-2010 06:50 AM

Could anyone comment on how these newer models compare to the older LL and LS 400 and 500 models?

yammieplaya 09-28-2010 12:42 AM

I have found the LL6 and LL16 to be very rich in overtones. I think they sustain a lot, and the slowness in decay is very noticeable. I love my LL6,
but I would not recommend it to a mahogany lover at all.

Ivob 09-28-2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHS (Post 2358133)
If you play mostly fingerstyle you may consider the LS6 in the Yamaha line up. Same price range and neck profile as the LL6 but OM size, very comfortable to play and sounds great.

i must agree...but if i'm to buy a spruce top guitar i would consider buying all solid one, it means LS16 which is quite affordable with regard to its quality, sound and design

RP 09-28-2010 04:22 AM

I think you made the wise choice, although the LL6 is a nice sounding/playing guitar. I played a LL16 yesterday at a local shop and was very impressed.

Dr. Overtones 09-28-2010 05:47 PM

For those of you who don't think this is the guitar for me as a mahogany lover (even if it does sound really good), what else would you recommend in this price range that does have mahogany back and sides?

I'd like to keep it under a grand. My dream guitar is a Larrivee L-03 (or L-05), but it's a little over what I'd be able to save up for in a reasonable amount of time. And I'm a bit too finicky to buy used.:D

earwighoney 09-29-2010 04:08 AM

@ Dr Overtones
Send a email to Jim @ Trinity Guitars. The L03 might be be near or within the one grand budget....

HudsDad 09-29-2010 06:36 AM

Definitely contact a Larrivee dealer for -03 pricing. I bought a new L-03 for well under a grand a few months ago.

kendallhadden 09-29-2010 07:11 AM

Larrivee

You definitely need to take a look at Larrivee. I briefly had a LL16. Even though the nut is suppose to be 1.75 it didn't feel like it. It may have been because the neck was so thin, but I just didn't care for the feel of the neck. It did sound good and the pickup was awesome, but the feel wasn't there for me. Larrivee, on the other hand, feels great and (to me) sounds better.
kwh

mekkemusic 09-07-2015 07:38 AM

YouTube comparative review Yamaha ll6 vs Yamaha ll16

I have been looking for some video comparing these two instruments on the tube, with no success....in the end I bought both of them along with time due to specific musical needs....it seems like I am not the only one who wonders what's the sonic difference between the ll6 and the ll16....so I made a review about it...even if it's an old thread I thought I would share...down here the link of the vid...hope you find it useful

https://youtu.be/uTVhBnK2LrE

Ciao, mekke

roylor4 09-07-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Overtones (Post 2359968)
For those of you who don't think this is the guitar for me as a mahogany lover (even if it does sound really good), what else would you recommend in this price range that does have mahogany back and sides?

I'd like to keep it under a grand. My dream guitar is a Larrivee L-03 (or L-05), but it's a little over what I'd be able to save up for in a reasonable amount of time. And I'm a bit too finicky to buy used.:D

To me, the Larrivee OM's are the sweet spot in their lineup. Just as balanced and 90-95% as loud as the L's (and far more comfortable).

Another good options is the Eastman AC-OM1. They can be had for under 5 bills.

I really like the LS6 and LS16 but they don't compare in the tone or volume department of my Eastman E6OM. Normal street price of $799 and can be had for quite a bit less.

The Yamaha's above are heavier built than the Eastman stuff. They are high quality and durable (Yamahas always are) but heavier and less resonant too.

There are several other viable options too including Alvarez, Seagull, Blueridge and Guild GAD just to name a few.

Norml 09-07-2015 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roylor4 (Post 4629592)
I really like the LS6 and LS16 but they don't compare in the tone or volume department of my Eastman E6OM

One thing to consider in this comparison is the top wood. The Yamaha's use Engleman Spruce where the the Eastman is Sitka.

JohnCambo 09-07-2015 09:16 AM

I have to agree with the others...

A Larrivee L03 will blow the pants off the Yamaha, of course, that's subjective but nevertheless, my opinion.

I've always felt the Yamaha LL16's and LL6's line sounded as if it was holding back something. Good guitars, but no Larrivee.