The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   McKnight LowLander (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603949)

Carmel Cedar 04-21-2021 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eire (Post 6696865)
Always here to help.... ;)

You are so helpful! That tune is sure to sweep jjhturbo's bride off her feet. On second thought, she may sweep him off his feet ... :)

Neil K Walk 04-23-2021 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodger (Post 6690197)
While we're watching paint dry, how about some levity?

Years ago at the McJam, there was an attendee couple where the poor wife was sick the entire weekend and spent most of the McJam bundled up on the McKnight's living room recliner.

Near the end, I heard her husband and Tim discussing his purchase and shipment of a McKnight guitar. I found that odd because they had driven to the McJam in a van, RV or other roomy vehicle. Why not just take it with them?

After they departed, I asked Tim. He said what I should have obviously figured out - he didn't want his wife to know he had purchased a McKnight.

Alright - maybe not the funniest story, but I found it amusing at the time.

On a serious note - that is a fantastic looking guitar JJH! You will be thrilled with everything, I'm sure. I just put new strings on my McKnight mahogany dread last night and played for an hour or so. Incredible guitar! I'm sure yours will be just as incredible!

It's too bad that man's wife was sick. We could have put in a good word - and got her to buy one of her own like a certain other regular attendee did! ;)

The fact that my wife hasn't attended a single McJam is probably the reason why I haven't had one follow me home. Well, one with 6 strings anyway. I've found ukuleles are easier to hide! :D

jjhturbo 04-24-2021 11:33 AM

Fret-work - fretwires, inlays

24 Attachment(s)
The extraordinary level of step-by-step engagement from this great duo (Tim & Mary) continue. Next up...as we get closer and closer to completion...is the amazing fret-work!

Tim - I think even just looking at these photos and seeing what is involved to get these SS frets prepped, filed, seated....I can tell it is a BEAR. Perhaps not your favorite part of building a guitar....but your patience, hard-work, and meticulous skill continue to shine! My goodness.

Sorry for causing the extra rigorous work, my friend. But, you are definitely a master in your craft.

And of course, Mary -- you're not to be outdone....by your absolutely top-notch photo documentation/journalism skills. :)

cigarfan 04-25-2021 04:09 AM

So much fun to watch. Almost like being there.

Mary 04-26-2021 04:13 PM

Thank you. John, I have the best part of the whole process. I get to be a big part of the people side. I enjoy seeing the pictures the customer picks to share on this forum. Right now you have 777 pictures. But we ain't done yet!

And you will be here in just a few months, Cigar Fan. It will be nice to see everyone again.

jjhturbo 04-27-2021 01:12 PM

More updates....as promised by Mary :)

15 Attachment(s)
Finishing touches on fret-work...and bridge, bridge pins, saddle, nut, pickguard.

jjhturbo 04-27-2021 01:15 PM

15 Attachment(s)
(continued)

cigarfan 04-28-2021 03:36 AM

You are so close now! I'm excited for you! In your hands very soon!

Mary 04-28-2021 06:50 AM

Today "Blue" is introduced to the ToneRite where it will share time together for three days.

jjhturbo 04-28-2021 12:36 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Finishing touches.... :)

ChuckS 04-30-2021 08:29 AM

Great photos of the care and detail on the build of this guitar. I had a chance to play a few of Tim's guitars when he attended a luthier's show in Red Wind, MN. The guitar is looking wonderful.

theEdwinson 04-30-2021 09:28 AM

What a great seminar on the final countdown on the way to a new guitar. This stage- rounding third and heading home- is my favorite stage of making a guitar. It's sort of like the day before a wedding, or a birth. All this careful work, leading to a brilliant and joyous outcome.
Mary, you really are a great documentarian, and Tim, you are a Master teacher. Best team on the internet! Thank you both for all the great advice and craft wisdom you've shared for so long.

drmike1954 04-30-2021 10:20 AM

Shout out to Tim and Mary

Hey guys, this is
drmike from Little Rock and little brother blues jams just saying hello.
My 2 cents to everyone else concerning McKnight guitars is they are great instruments. I remember watching Tim grow as a builder, I think he is among a very select class of builders who takes his craft and knowledge to the limit.
I am so glad to see Tim and Mary are still making players happy.

Archaic Guitars 04-30-2021 02:43 PM

This guitar looks great, although I have to say I prefer a splash of milk in my Earl Grey rather than bone dust.! I have to imagine the guitar smells like bergamot now, and I like the idea of that.

Tim McKnight 04-30-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmike1954 (Post 6704430)
Hey guys, this is
drmike from Little Rock and little brother blues jams just saying hello.
My 2 cents to everyone else concerning McKnight guitars is they are great instruments. I remember watching Tim grow as a builder, I think he is among a very select class of builders who takes his craft and knowledge to the limit.
I am so glad to see Tim and Mary are still making players happy.

Wow, DrMike, it’s GREAT to hear from you! Thanks for checking in and thanks for bringing back some very fond memories of Little Brother’s jam. He inspired us to start our own annual McJam. Perhaps you can attend ours one of these times? It would be great to see you again and catch up. I’m also humbled by your kind words. Thank you!

Mary 05-02-2021 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eire (Post 6696865)
(to the tune of "You Are My Sunshine")

You are my Luckenbooth, my only Luckenbooth,
You make me happy just as you are.
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you --
Almost as much as my new McKnight guitar.

Always here to help.... ;)

Well, well, well, as I was getting ready for church... humming songs as one typically does on a Sunday morning I then heard myself singing different words. Oh, the fun that we shall have. Eire/Bubba Kurt - if you aren't able to come to the McJam you just might need to tell Bruce to sing this little course!

Dr. Mike - it's been a long time. Thank you. It is fun to hear from you. There are actually over 700 pictures of this build, but John has chosen only his favorite select few to show the AGF viewers.

A brief history moment: I tend to go on picture over board so our customers feel like they are totally in the know about their build process. Our AGF (McJam brothers) Eire and Rodger can tell some crazy stories like no others have experienced, but that's for a totally different thread because I want John to trust his guitar is still in good hands. (Kurt ...shhhhh) :D

My common comment is to save McKnight Guitar pictures the pictures on a separate unattached piece as many have lost their pictures and asked us for copies later. No can do. We simply do not keep pictures. It is part of the thrill of owning a custom built McKnight guitar. If a used McKnight guitar is purchased the new owner is out of luck unless they find the original owner who has the only pictures of their build or unless the Internet is kind and they are still able to be seen some where out yonder. I don't typically take pictures of our spec (display) guitars. Customers have learned that when I hear their story of why a guitar is their gift to themselves or something to commemorate a moment in time I mentally get a vision of their guitar they must temporarily tolerate the name I give it.

We might not remember where we had for dinner a week ago, but I still remember name of kids in my own kindergarten class and a great deal of McKnight guitars since 1992, our beginning.

This guitar is named Blue. It is the first guitar that we made that has all the blue trim. Though subtle it is there and gives this guitar a vision of quiet strength which seems to be much like the man who has ordered it.

Eire 05-03-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary (Post 6706113)
Our AGF (McJam brothers) Eire and Rodger can tell some crazy stories like no others have experienced, but that's for a totally different thread because I want John to trust his guitar is still in good hands. (Kurt ...shhhhh) :D

Yes, there are stories to be told, but only when Tim, Bruce, Neil, Rodger, Dennis and I and other McJammers are in our rocking chairs on the porch of the old folks' home will those memories become spoken legend, myth and folklore. What I can assure everyone is that Tim and Mary will not let any guitar leave the shop that isn't in absolutely perfect shape. I'd stake a Saturday morning round of golf on that fact. ;)

And what a beautiful guitar 'Blue' is. I'm in love with that trim, and it takes some guts to gamble on a look that's out of the ordinary. But that's exactly what makes a guitar stand out among others: Something discreet but apparent that stops and makes you go 'wow.' That blue purling does the trick. I'm impressed.

jjhturbo 05-04-2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eire (Post 6707439)
And what a beautiful guitar 'Blue' is. I'm in love with that trim, and it takes some guts to gamble on a look that's out of the ordinary. But that's exactly what makes a guitar stand out among others: Something discreet but apparent that stops and makes you go 'wow.' That blue purling does the trick. I'm impressed.

Thanks, Eire. I have to give the bulk of the credit to Tim & Mary, as their guidance as we mutually collaborated from the start on what kind of look I was going after was really so very helpful. The result is spot-on in terms of the style/design I was after, even though I wasn't able to necessarily articulate my thoughts in the beginning. That speaks to the fact they take the time to really understand what the customer wants before the build even begins. The time and energy and thoughtfulness these two take to walk with you down the journey of a custom-build is just simply extraordinary!

Mary 05-04-2021 09:27 AM

Blue is in the car and ready for her first car trip to the UPS store so she can "go home."

Ack! I can't believe I said that out loud. It makes this more real that she no longer lives here. Those of you who have gone through this process with us know how this is the bittersweet day on our end. As our journey fades into the background John's journey now begins.

I appreciate all of you who joined or will join this thread. I enjoyed being the mouse in the corner of the work bench sharing interesting things I saw during the long days during this Covid pandemic. Blue helped us not be so ... blue. It made sure we had human outside contact with all of you here so it's been a blessing for many of us in that matter.

If you are in the Ohio area (commercial break) stop by the last weekend of July for the private gathering known as the McJam. 2021 entry fees will be used for carry out food as we hope to stay on the safe side. Contact me privately if you have questions.

Again, our thanks to all of you.

Rodger 05-06-2021 06:48 AM

Mary... your post reminded me of a parent sending off their child to college or otherwise leaving home for the last time. Brought a tear to my eye.

I saved you that pain with the "Dominator." I came to pick it up at the McJam.

Congrats Mr. Turbo. If you wanted to post videos of opening the shipping container and playing those first chords on ole "Blue", I'm sure no one would complain. Many happy decades of playing enjoyment to you sir!!

Mary 05-08-2021 07:14 AM

Rodger, you are right! Tim and I also enjoy a guitar show when we pre-sell the guitars that we can display, meet the true owners and have time for a little jam in the corner hall or a special room. It's good for the owner to avoid shipping and it's nice to be able for Tim to tweak a guitar right in front of the owner.
Ohio McJammers know how good it feels to have it all done at once by the guy who knows every inch of the guitar. Next year we hope to get orders and a McJam organized for the Artisan guitar show in Harrisburg, PA the one in Washington state. McJams are the best times to congregate as guitar family. It's fun for the owners to see the reactions of the general public when they look at the newborn guitar.

Tim McKnight 05-11-2021 06:20 PM

Well “Blue” made it safely across the USA and is safely in the hands of its new custodian. Thanks again John. It’s been a truly fun and enjoyable journey for us.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=615307

David Wren 05-20-2021 01:17 PM

Another wonderful build thread ... documenting another wonderful instrument ... thanks Tim and Mary!