The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   PBS Woody Guthrie? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540582)

Dryfly 03-10-2019 01:18 PM

PBS Woody Guthrie?

Watched their Woody tribute pledge drive program from 1970 last night which was pretty interesting. The uncut coiled strings seemed to be the in thing
back then. Kind of silly now. I'm curious about what two guitars I saw were, one a 12 string slot head by Pete and one I couldn't ID played by Odetta. Also wondered what kind of and what thickness a pick Havens would have been using
back then. You could see why his Guild had a double pickguard.

geichel 03-10-2019 02:56 PM

My wife asked me about that and I said that was a thing back then. I always thought it was because us hippy guitar players could never find anything to snip 'em with.

arktrav 03-10-2019 05:29 PM

I enjoyed it too. I recognized some of the players and others I didn't. Good show though. I don't really know what Peter Fonda or "Grandpa Walton" added to it but some of Woody Guthrie's words were good to hear. I really liked the singing of Odetta.

Kyle76 03-10-2019 06:47 PM

The young Joan Baez strongly resembles the young Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

bluesfreek 03-10-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arktrav (Post 6003062)
I enjoyed it too. I recognized some of the players and others I didn't. Good show though. I don't really know what Peter Fonda or "Grandpa Walton" added to it but some of Woody Guthrie's words were good to hear. I really liked the singing of Odetta.

I have not seen that program however as someone who is a Guthrie fan I think the reason why Will Geer (Grandpa Walton) appears in the program is because he was a very good friend of Woody's. When Geer moved to California Woody visited him and lived for a short time with Geer and his wife. I would imagine Peter Fonda is in it representing his father Henry Fonda who was in the movie adaptation of "The Grapes Of Wrath" which influenced Woody's songwriting.

Anyhow I would like to check out that show. :up:

619TF 03-11-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dryfly (Post 6002821)
Watched their Woody tribute pledge drive program from 1970 last night which was pretty interesting. The uncut coiled strings seemed to be the in thing
back then. Kind of silly now. I'm curious about what two guitars I saw were, one a 12 string slot head by Pete and one I couldn't ID played by Odetta. Also wondered what kind of and what thickness a pick Havens would have been using

That show looks pretty cool. I'll have to check it out if/when it airs local to me. Here's the trailer and such...https://www.thirteen.org/programs/pb...review-ytchbr/

Nyghthawk 03-11-2019 12:07 PM

When I first started playing in 1971 (wish I had stuck with it now) I left my strings coiled and untrimmed. Primarily it was because I would stick the filter end of my lit cigarette on the business end of the low E. I thought I was way cool. Stupid in retrospect.

FrankHudson 03-11-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geichel (Post 6002903)
My wife asked me about that and I said that was a thing back then. I always thought it was because us hippy guitar players could never find anything to snip 'em with.

I suspect this was a large part of the reason. Folks didn't have guitar techs or necessarily carry a small toolkit all the time. I think I saw one shot of Joan Baez's guitar headstock in the concert with one loose string end, and I wonder if it was a case of single broken string replaced--which would be another thing that even performing folkies might do then, but would (almost?) never do now.

FrankHudson 03-11-2019 02:37 PM

Enjoyed it.

Ry Cooder in the backing band too. And I had to find out who the guy I didn't recognize who was playing guitar, singing backup and I think even autoharp on one song. Found out it was John Pilla, who played with Arlo Guthrie around that time.

frankmcr 03-11-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHudson (Post 6003951)
I suspect this was a large part of the reason. Folks didn't have guitar techs or necessarily carry a small toolkit all the time. I think I saw one shot of Joan Baez's guitar headstock in the concert with one loose string end, and I wonder if it was a case of single broken string replaced--which would be another thing that even performing folkies might do then, but would (almost?) never do now.

For real? If one string breaks you're supposed to change all six?

Dryfly 03-11-2019 04:18 PM

The guitars

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dryfly (Post 6002821)

So anyone know what the guitars I mentioned are?