The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   who wants to join a friendly "learn an new song" challenge? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357615)

TBman 11-19-2014 09:23 AM

David, thanks. Its from Stefan Grossman's 4 song lesson package.

I think you are right about online posting on soundcloud. I'm not a performer, I just use it to share things and get feedback.

DavidWhitehurst 11-19-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 4144071)
Ok, here is page 1 of Shenandoah. I practiced for about an hour yesterday between the two songs and about 30 minutes tonight. I'll see if I post anything from Foggy Dew this week or maybe more of this one. It's played on my Larrivee OM-05. DADGAD, capo II. I like this soundcloud thingamabob. Its recorded in mono with Adobe Audition 1.5 using 1 Rode NT-5 mic. Later on this week I'll get my other mic out and play around with recording in stereo.

Barry:

Send me your best recording in MP3 or WAV audio via email and I'll doctor it up using a professional recording studio DAW (Logic Pro X) and send you the improved one. I would like to see what I can do with someone else's recording. I sent you an email on the the Mississippi Blues thread.

David

TBman 11-19-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidWhitehurst (Post 4231089)
Barry:

Thanks, and great job! My next piece to finish is "The Claw" by Jerry Reed and I think I may break it up into its pieces and post "Sections" of it on SoundCloud. Some people think that you should only post your best work on SoundCloud. I disagree because whether you are limited (free account) or have unlimited storage, we should be able to post things for others to "use" or learn from. To me, this is what sharing on the internet is all about. I have a really good plan in the works for guitarists like us that I'll share soon. When I say like us, I mean guitarists that are amateurs by trade, but still very serious about playing and sharing the music they love. More to come on that soon.

Let me know the title of the book or what you meant by pages 1 and 2?

thanks,

David

I was thinking about posting sections of Hideaway once I get it started because its a long tune and I'll have to conquer it a chunk at a time. There's some really neat runs in it so I may jump around the tab a bit.

I have no idea who first wrote Mississippi Blues, couldn't find anything on it yet, but I'll keep looking.

TBman 11-19-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidWhitehurst (Post 4231582)
Barry:

Send me your best recording in MP3 or WAV audio via email and I'll doctor it up using a professional recording studio DAW (Logic Pro X) and send you the improved one. I would like to see what I can do with someone else's recording. I sent you an email on the the Mississippi Blues thread.

David

Thanks Dave. I'll do a full version of the MS blues later this week or the weekend and send it to you. I don't have any raw versions of anything I've done because I always "normalize" them or reduce the noise. It's probably a good idea to keep a raw version and then modify a copy.

Dirty Bill 11-23-2014 11:52 PM

new songs

Ok,I have "Tuesdays Gone" pretty well down,almost good enough. I'm also learning "Oklahoma Hills" by Woody Guthrie. I'll keep posting. :D

TBman 11-25-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Bill (Post 4237897)
Ok,I have "Tuesdays Gone" pretty well down,almost good enough. I'm also learning "Oklahoma Hills" by Woody Guthrie. I'll keep posting. :D

Good Bill. I'd like to hear them.
I'll see if I can finish Mississippi Blues. I started Blues for the man and Long Tall Mama.

Guest 33123 11-27-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 4226926)
Ok, here's a pretty clean full version of Deep River Blues:

I'm going to continue to practice this every day, but concentrate on Mississippi Blues, Hideaway and other shorter blues tunes I recently got the tab and videos for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 4230584)
Ok, here's pages 1 and 2 of Mississippi Blues, I actually have the two pages almost memorized:

I can play the whole song, but it isn't all memorized yet. This one was harder at first than Deep River, but once I got the tempo down, it actually is easier, fretwise.

Nice work Barry!

TBman 11-27-2014 02:02 PM

Thanks Doug! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Luke_ 11-27-2014 03:17 PM

Glad you guys are keeping at it.... Just got jingle bells all memorized and working thru the kinks. It's basically 3 parts... High harmony, low harmony, then a walking bass in the chorus.

TBman 11-27-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke_ (Post 4243143)
Glad you guys are keeping at it.... Just got jingle bells all memorized and working thru the kinks. It's basically 3 parts... High harmony, low harmony, then a walking bass in the chorus.

Really? Whose arrangement? I bet it sounds good.