The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Rainsong 12 fret short scale dreadnought (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548927)

KitKat1 06-07-2019 12:12 PM

Rainsong 12 fret short scale dreadnought

2 Attachment(s)
Inspired by JerryM who got one of these and posted on the ACF a few months ago I ordered the same model, same except the two sharks on the fretboard and no pickup or barn door electronics. Six week’s wait and it’s here and I am really pleased! It’s beautiful and with the short scale, 12 frets to the body and low action it plays like good old Wisconsin butter. It sounds good and has decent volume. Very light and all together an extremely comfortable guitar. I am used to the 1 3/4” chunky N2 neck, I used to have a Shorty and although I wouldn’t seek this neck out it’s not a deal breaker for me. Psyched that there will be a guitar out again rather than in a case and it is just in time for summer bluegrass! As usual terrific service from Ted and Helene at LA Guitars and the folks at Rainsong.

GuitarLuva 06-07-2019 01:41 PM

Congratulations that's a nice looking finish. I certainly agree having a carbon fiber guitar that's always out away from the case will make you want to play more.

Finger Stylish 06-08-2019 03:52 AM

That's a beauty! :up:

chistrummer 06-08-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KitKat1 (Post 6080855)
Inspired by JerryM who got one of these and posted on the ACF a few months ago I ordered the same model, same except the two sharks on the fretboard and no pickup or barn door electronics. Six week’s wait and it’s here and I am really pleased! It’s beautiful and with the short scale, 12 frets to the body and low action it plays like good old Wisconsin butter. It sounds good and has decent volume. Very light and all together an extremely comfortable guitar. I am used to the 1 3/4” chunky N2 neck, I used to have a Shorty and although I wouldn’t seek this neck out it’s not a deal breaker for me. Psyched that there will be a guitar out again rather than in a case and it is just in time for summer bluegrass! As usual terrific service from Ted and Helene at LA Guitars and the folks at Rainsong.

Congrats KitKat, that's a nice looking guitar and I know for a fact they sound great too.

Captain Jim 06-08-2019 09:34 AM

Good looking guitar, KitKat1! It will be interesting to hear what others in your bluegrass group have to say about the RainSong, since players of that genre tend to be pretty traditional. That burst certainly gives the guitar a more traditional look... might be interesting to not say anything about the guitar and see if anyone notices.

On occasions I've had to play with other wood guitar players, the reactions have ranged from curiosity to indifference. ;) I appreciate more those with an open mind.

Enjoy that new guitar! :up:

SpruceTop 06-08-2019 07:03 PM

Beautiful RainSong, KitKat--Enjoy!

Mark L 06-08-2019 07:46 PM

Congratulations on the N CFG D!

That finish reminds me of my APLE Rainsong. Lots of folks think it’s wood from just a couple of feet away.

I too am interested in how this’un performs in a BG setting (parking lot picking I assume?). Also, I’m interested in how this performs on, say, solo fiddle tunes - think Norman Blake.

While I love my Emeralds, as was posted above, they would kind of, uh, stand out, at a Bluegrass Mafia meeting. ;)

Hope you love your new Rainsong.

kramster 06-08-2019 09:16 PM

Very nice buy on a fine guitar...you done good.

Kindness 06-09-2019 06:46 AM

OMG she is beautiful! Congrats and many happy hours of playing!

JerryM 06-09-2019 09:13 AM

Fiddle tunes, Bluegrass on a Rainsong? YOU Betcha! I play fiddle tune leads on my guitar every day and use it for everything. Great guitar, until I told our bass player it was CF he didn't know! I took the white edge off of the truss cover one of the cosmetic things I didn't care for but the finish on the guitar in the Tobacco Sunburst is superb. Nothing to break up the smoothness of the top. Rainsong must have changed something in manufacturing because my APLE and APSE both had finishes that you could detect CF construction and my Shorty's had a rim around the top that was noticeable. The new Dreadnought has nothing but a 100% smooth top perfect finish, and the back edge is rolled over rather than sharp so very comfy.
Congrats on the new guitar, I sure am happy with mine, so far at every showing no one has inquired if it is CF. It appears as wood on stage or in a jam. Try a set of GHS PB strings on the guitar, I find them to be really nice and they project very well, I use the 12/54's. I also put a pick guard on mine from Stew Mac the Martin Om size and the clear sections let the top color show thru, really nice affect and saves the top from rub marks where my fingers rest. Also if you ever remove it you can't tell it was ever there, the finish is super tough.
Enjoy it, good choice!!:D

Speirsy11 06-09-2019 08:03 PM

Did you need to custom order this? Or is an older model that is out of production?

I’m looking for exactly this..... Short scale, Carbon dread......

Is there a model number/name?

Speirsy11 06-09-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speirsy11 (Post 6082653)
Did you need to custom order this? Or is an older model that is out of production?

I’m looking for exactly this..... Short scale, Carbon dread......

Is there a model number/name?

Disregard! A little google effort and I found it at LA Guitar Sales.

Now to scratch together the $$$......

(Stupid USD-CAD exchange rate....)

J.R. Rogers 06-10-2019 08:57 PM

Good looking guitar. I didn't know this option was available - very nice. I want one!

JR

KitKat1 06-11-2019 07:01 AM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I played the new Rainsong with a group last night: mandolin, banjo, fiddle, bass, vocals. I was happy with how it sounded along with the other instruments, including the volume when I leaned into it. So darned comfortable to stand and play for a couple hours! It does not sound like a 60 year old Martin, but it assumed the rhythm and lead role well enough. Didn't get any funny looks although the lead singer did say that it was, wow, a beautiful guitar and she could do her makeup in it.:D

jonfields45 06-11-2019 07:20 AM

Is the sunburst completely opaque with no CF weave showing?