The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   A life lesson from one of my music professors (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537882)

Bob Womack 02-12-2019 07:39 PM

A life lesson from one of my music professors

One of my music professors taught me one of the best skills ever: how to really listen to music. You can read something about him and what I learned, HERE.

Bob

fazool 02-12-2019 07:46 PM

Wonderfully written Bob!

HeyMikey 02-12-2019 08:38 PM

Very inspirational. That’s exactly how you should play music as well.

marty bradbury 02-12-2019 08:55 PM

Sounds like an amazing person to have in your life Bob. My wife always states to me "you need to listen,no matter what or who you are listening to". I'm still working on it. Thanks so much for the post.

The Growler 02-12-2019 10:14 PM

Thanks for writing and sharing that Bob.

Have you read "Strings Attached" by Joanne Lipman and Melanie Kupchinski?

A great story about an inspiring music teacher. Highly recommended.

Bob Womack 02-13-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Growler (Post 5978117)
Thanks for writing and sharing that Bob.
Have you read "Strings Attached" by Joanne Lipman and Melanie Kupchinski?
A great story about an inspiring music teacher. Highly recommended.

Thanks! I'll look it up.

Bob

GHS 02-13-2019 07:32 AM

For those of you who like this type of reading material/videos may I suggest you check out Jordan Peterson and Dr. Bruce Liptons works...real interesting for sure.

Glennwillow 02-13-2019 09:35 AM

It sounds like I would have really enjoyed knowing Prof. DeVine. I'm glad you had a chance to know him, Bob. Some people have a way of bringing positive energy and inspiration to others. You have written a very touching memorial to Prof. DeVine -- thank you!

- Glenn

fitness1 02-13-2019 10:29 AM

As we've probably discussed over the years Bob, I'm one of those audiophile guys that listens in total darkness with the system fully tweaked to the room that's "treated" pretty well. No noise of any kind is 'allowed' into the space while listening.

Because of the attention being paid - I can fully recall a lot of music in it's entirety (solos/background vocals/bass runs) with only what's left of my brain. It's a bit strange, but true.

It's the only way you can fully experience music in my opinion. Your friend definitely had it right, and was ahead of his time.

It just runs through your veins.

frankmcr 02-13-2019 12:31 PM

And always remember to be good, because every good boy does fine.

FrankHudson 02-13-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmcr (Post 5978648)
And always remember to be good, because every good boy does fine.

Well then, what happens with bass players? :)

FrankHudson 02-13-2019 12:47 PM

What a fine tribute!

There are so many ways to experience music, but I'm glad that I've had the opportunity and inclination to listen deeply like that as well.

Speaking of music professors. I never got to experience Weston Noble as a conductor or teacher--or even meet him--but when I heard this interview with him done by the broadcasting organization I used to work with, I felt like a tremendous lesson was transferred as I listened to him.

Weston Noble 'The Garden of Trust'

The Growler 02-13-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 5978252)
Thanks! I'll look it up.

Bob

I hope you like it.

Thanks again.

woodbox 02-13-2019 10:25 PM

Thank you.

One day I'll write you a PM to tell how this touched me.
Again, thank you.

Silurian 02-14-2019 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHS (Post 5978293)
For those of you who like this type of reading material/videos may I suggest you check out Jordan Peterson and Dr. Bruce Liptons works...real interesting for sure.

I must be missing sonething. What's the connection between the OP's post and Peterson? Confused?