The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   $24 a pack strings (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654339)

Bilban 09-22-2022 01:21 PM

$24 a pack strings

At $24 a pack for Santa Cruz strings is it unreasonable to expect individually packaged strings ? These old eyes of mine canít tell an e from a b string or a d from a g string etc.

zmf 09-22-2022 01:27 PM

???

They are individually packaged. At least every pack I've unpacked.

Wonder what's going on. Sure they're real Santa Cruz strings?

hifivic 09-22-2022 01:27 PM

Why waste the packaging, surprising you can't "feel" the difference in diameter.

Br1ck 09-22-2022 01:29 PM

Let your fingers tell you by how much tension they have when you gently squeeze the circle.. Then make sure the right string goes in the right place, unlike me when I found I'd put the B string on the G string spot. Luvkily it was long enough to correct. Geeze, you'd think after fifty years I'd have it down.

Bilban 09-22-2022 02:06 PM

My fingers are not miconmeters at$6 a string individual strings are not to much to ask IMHO

JCM615 09-22-2022 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilban (Post 7092087)
At $24 a pack for Santa Cruz strings is it unreasonable to expect individually packaged strings ? These old eyes of mine canít tell an e from a b string or a d from a g string etc.

Sorry, that would be $25. Trying to keep costs under control! ;)

Lillis 09-22-2022 04:24 PM

The several packs I have bought each string was in its own paper sleeve. I do wish they were in a sealed package. Also I have always paid $18 including shipping.

Sadie-f 09-22-2022 04:33 PM

Just bought a pack Monday, I don't need them to be individually enveloped, however they were. Some folks have let SCGC know they're experiencing corrosion if a pack sits for a long time, so maybe they've gone the D'addario route of a single sealed package.

As already suggested, if you're having problems identifying gauge, bend them, the stiffness difference is fairly obvious.

FingahPickah 09-22-2022 04:48 PM

Quote:

At $24 a pack for Santa Cruz strings is it unreasonable to expect individually packaged strings ? These old eyes of mine can’t tell an e from a b string or a d from a g string etc.

No, it is not at all unreasonable.

GHS Americana Series Cryogenic Phosphor Bronze Strings are packaged in individually sealed and labeled string plastic bag-type envelopes for $10.49 or less per set.

https://www.amazon.com/GHS-Strings-S.../dp/B00WVI8MK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0YOkaOq3sY

zmf 09-22-2022 04:53 PM

Is it just me, or is this thread off the rails?

rmp 09-22-2022 05:11 PM

I hear Santa Cruz dips their strings in Fairy Dust before they ship em out the door,,

and I also heard they are brought to the distribution centers by unicorns pulling golden sleighs. so yea, it makes perfect sense..... :guitar:

hey if were going off the rails may as well go with our hair on fire!!!

zmf 09-22-2022 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmp (Post 7092221)
I hear Santa Cruz dips their strings in Fairy Dust before they ship em out the door,,

Yours came with fairy dust? Mine came individually wrapped, but no fairy dust.
What a rip.

Rolph 09-22-2022 05:42 PM

I just called PRS customer service about this very question. I bought several sets of their electric guitar strings, no color code, no recipe on the package. So the rep. kindly told me what their formula is. More reliable than my senses.

Haasome 09-22-2022 05:57 PM

I noticed black “corrosion” spots on the unwound E and B strings on a couple of sets a few months ago and spoke to Carolyn about it. They had received a few other complaints about this as well and decided to vacuum seal all of their strings within the packaging. When I received the new stings, they were not individually wrapped and coded. I contacted them and told them I thought many players would appreciate having the strings coded, especially when paying a premium price. I hope they start coding the strings. If it helps, here is how they are coiled in the package: 1st/4th, 2nd/5th, and 3rd/6th.

gmel555 09-22-2022 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

...... is it unreasonable to expect individually packaged strings ?.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by zmf (Post 7092091)
???...They are individually packaged. At least every pack I've unpacked.....

I first thought the OP was wrong as I also recalled SCGC strings being packed individually...but it looks like they've updated the packaging -see the pack just purchased below. String mfg'ers are "between a rock and hard place". Some of us want less packaging going into land fills, others want individually wrapped strings. WTS I am glad they're now packed protected from air/moisture. I guess they could put a small tag on each strings or color code the string balls.