The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   What is your favorite song / piece to play? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2821)

jdpresto 02-13-2001 10:30 AM

What is your favorite song / piece to play?

What is your favorite song / piece to play on your Taylor guitar?

If that is too specific, what is your favorite artist, or maybe even just genre that you enjoy?

Jeff

ihs 02-13-2001 10:46 AM

My favorite is probably a little fingerstyle piece I wrote myself. It's very simple (key of C) and short (around 2:00), but I love the sound of it. It has such sweet, mellow chord progressions, and I'll usually end just about every "session" with it. I really love to play just about anything fingerstyle, but this song just seems to do it for me.

------------------
ihs' Gear

mapletrees 02-13-2001 12:32 PM

I was going to list some fingerstyle titles (Chet Atkins), but decided it's a toss up between George Harrison's Here Comes the Sun and Don McLean's And I Love You So. Actually, throw in John Denver's This Old Guitar. (Those are three of my son's favorites)

People have all sorts of opinions about John Denver. At least check out that one tune. Never get sick of it.

GordonHLau 02-13-2001 02:21 PM

My current favorite arrangements to play are Caravan by Chet/Les Paul and the Beatles' Michelle. Next month it will be probably be something else.

GL

jdpresto 02-15-2001 01:54 PM

Well, I guess it wouldn't be fair if I did not include my own current favorite(s).

Flavor of the week: Clapton - Signe

[ 03-02-2001: Message edited by: jdpresto ]

Sheaman64 02-15-2001 02:53 PM

Mapletrees,

I agree with you. I think John Denver has some great music to play. I love This Old Guitar. I am just starting to learn his music. It is nice to know that I am not the only one!

mapletrees 02-15-2001 10:04 PM

Hey - Do you have the John Denver TAB book put out by Cherry Lane Music Company (part of Hal Leonard Corporation).

It's the only one I know of - It's called

The Authentic Guitar Style of John Denver. It's part of the Cherry Lane Music Acoustic Guitar Series. It has This Old Guitar in it.

This Old Guitar is in the Travis Picking style - are you familiar with Travis Picking?

Whether yes or no - did you see my post called Excellent Fingerstyle Instruction Book/CD's in the main section of this forum ( I think it has sadly made its way to the 2nd or 3rd page by now)? If you like ANY sort of fingerstyle playing you should read that.

By the way,

I met my wife because I was playing a John Denver tune! (My Sweet Lady)

[This message has been edited by mapletrees (edited 02-15-2001).]

Sheaman64 02-16-2001 02:35 AM

No, I am not familiar with the Travis Picking style. The only style I know of right now is mine! lol... That is why I am taking lessons. I will go back and look at your finger style segment. Thanks for the info. on the book. I will definitely try to find it.

Shea

Jeff M 02-16-2001 02:55 AM

Shea, the Mark Hanson Travis Fingerstyle book is a must if you are interested in fingerstyle. Absolutely shook me out of the rut I had been in. Very simple method that builds to great results.

axememan 02-17-2001 08:38 AM

'lucky man'[elp]...curruntly trying to finger it out...samewith 'from the begining'....and 'little old lady behind the counter in a small town'[pearl jam]...and i'll probably have a different list next week...lol...what ever i butcher up on my 810 sounds so NICE!haha

guitargirl677 02-18-2001 08:51 PM

I love John Denver, get his "Wild Life" cd,it is a double cd set . He plays Taylor guitars to as A bonus.

vince 03-16-2001 04:43 PM

Blackbird sounds great on my 25th anv. model.The action is great highs and low really ring out

Dakota 03-17-2001 02:33 AM

My favorite to play would have to be Clapton's "Tears in Heaven." The song has a special meaning to me because of the near loss of my son after an accidental shooting. Fortunately, he is fine now.

mapletrees 03-17-2001 08:44 PM

My Great Aunt hadn't said anything all day - nothing - , just staring out the window blankly....

I played something called "Eight Bars on the Highway", short, easy, little, but in a way killer piece from an instructional book called "Blues Solos for Acoustic Guitar" (Johnny Norris)

she looked over and said in a three-packs a day since the last Ice Age voice..."Play it again ****it."

The tune goes on the list....

....good little book (with recording) if you want to get going on acoustic blues....there's a post about it in the Acoustic Guitar Music section of the forum....starts extremely easy and gets cookin' by the end of the book....

mapletrees 03-20-2001 01:06 PM

Add another Johnny Norris song...'Aluminium Blues'....from his Super Solos for Acoustic Guitar....yeah!

Roger 03-21-2001 10:52 AM

Hey anybody have some links to music they have recorded ? Like some of these tunes mentioned on this page. It sure would be cool to listen to !! :) My favorite tune to play as of now is Never Goin Back Again by Fleetwood Mac

galejt 03-21-2001 12:20 PM

Forget that. Someone sell me a copy of that Johnny Norris book. It is out of print (oh moan and complain, I want the Blues so bad...). :D

Camalex 03-21-2001 01:49 PM

My favorite to play: Self-arranged fingerstyle versions of:

"Today" by John Denver in C
"Lady" by John Denver in A
"Perhaps Love" by John Denver in C
"The Water is Wide" traditional in D major
endless variations of "Peidmont Blues" in Emajor
"Joy" JS Bach in Gmajor
"Can you feel the love tonight" Elton John in C major

I love to play variations on almost anything Cmajor that uses or implies the I-VIm-IIm7-V7 progression and I improvise endlessly with varying tempos/syncopation.

GordonHLau 03-21-2001 02:16 PM

James,

If you want to hear and learn some great blues, check out John Cephas @ http://www.johncephas.com. He plays mainly in the piedmont style and he also uses a Taylor. He's one of the best acoustic blues guitarists out there.

GL

Brett Valentine 03-21-2001 06:22 PM

There's a piece I arranged for a singer and played on his CD. It's in standard with a capo on the 5th fret. When I start going up the neck on my 612c, the tone gets very bell like. Things just start ringing out. Something that doesn't happen nearly to the same extent on my other acoustics.

Brett

JW 03-22-2001 08:26 AM

My all time favorite acoustic peice is "Hotel California" from the "Hell freezes over" album. Very challanging peice on one guitar. You must start off fingerstyle go to flat pick then move back to fingerstyle without missing a note. plus trying to make a steel sting sound classical make it that much more unusal.Keeping the pick in your lips ready to go is just a bit uncomfortable but the peice is great. I also like"Stairway to heaven" "Tears in Heaven" "Yesterday" "Time in a bottle" and strangly enough "House of the rising sun"(Animals version) but the list just goes on and on. I also like some of the songs ive written. "The begining of the end"(wifes favorite), "Courage to the alter", "Forgive me", "The hardest twenty feet" , "Many times I forgot about you(but you were always there)" and that list goes on as well. all these are gospel except "The beginning of the end". I know you ask for a favorte peice but I guess it just depends on the day or mood. "Hotel California" (hell freezes over version) is the most challanging so its the one I play the most. Just always trying to make it better. JW

Erm 03-22-2001 09:48 AM

Just a side note if I may,

JW, I recently saw the Hell Freezes over video and got to tell ya that I was completely impressed by the professionalism on that stage. Not to mention the quality of gear those guys brought around on that tour. Has anyone seen this and the guitars they used? Oh My.....

Don Felder and Joe Walsh are masters at picking the perfect guitar that fits that particular tune. Strats, Gibsons, Gretsch, Rics, Teles, all were used to their advantage. Each tune brought out a different guitar and every one was so righteous!

No Taylors, mostly Taks but that's alright, I'm sure their Taylors are at home.

They are living our dream! :)

I want them all!!!!! Oh man, another GAS attack...........

Dave F 03-24-2001 02:25 AM

JW I agree that Hotel California is a blast to play but it sure isn't easy :rolleyes:
I also like Stairway to Heaven and Roundabout by Yes. What always seem to get a reaction is Yesterday by the Beatles. Sounds great on my 810.

frayne48 03-26-2001 11:02 PM

Currently butchering up two D. Dykes songs, Jazz in the Box and The Road Back Home. Also working on a little ditty, Classical Gas, Clapton version. Sometimes play till the fingers bleed. No matter how bad I butcher they still sound sweet on my 814 CE.

vince 03-27-2001 10:07 AM

Another great song" Hey, Hey" off eric Clapton Unplugged. The slide up to the pull is fun and a challenge. After you get the feel everything flows and sounds good. His unplugged book is a great asset for study.

mapletrees 03-27-2001 11:19 AM

Vince...

I agree about the 'unplugged' album...don't forget the source of those tunes, though (Clapton would say the same thing)....

Mel Bay and Homespun Tapes have tons of instructional material available on authentic blues...

Bill Nichols (CaptBill) 03-27-2001 02:35 PM

Hi All,
I agree that the Clapton unplugged album is great. Besides the "hey hey" tune and a couple of others that I took the time to figure out, I really like playing that first cut which I think is called "Signe". I've played those at a few "easy listening" gigs that I've done.
My current favorite, now that it sounds fairly good is "Larry's World" off the Wood & Steel CD. I'm still insearch of the Doyle Dykes tune..."Nothings too good for a Friend".

mgracing 03-27-2001 05:01 PM

I've got two or three that I've been working on lately. None of them very difficult but I love the way they sound and I've chosen them for songs that I can learn to sing along with (my first attempt at the rubbing your tummy and patting the head thing)

Axeman, I've been playing "elderly woman behind a counter in a small" town" by Pearl Jam as well. Great tune.

Also Neil Young't "Out on the Weekend"

And, a beautiful fingerpicked tune from Alice and Chains "Jar of Flies" cd called
"Don't follow"

RK 03-27-2001 07:10 PM

"Maisie" by Laurence Juber, as taught on one of his videos (the standard tuning one) - not too difficult to pick up but sounds great.
Intro to "Like Everyone She Knows", James Taylor (found an arrangement on the web somewhere).
Agree with others that some of the Johnny Norris stuff is great.

vince 03-28-2001 11:22 AM

Hey RK,
LJ is great, I just bought his tab book, LJ Beatles & Video. I really like his style and the fact that he plays in DADGAD on most of the songs. Great tuning for the guitar and gives rich sound to tunes.
Any other LJ fans out there!!