The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Regarding New Breedlove and String Height (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557000)

LisieDee 09-06-2019 06:22 PM

Regarding New Breedlove and String Height

Hi All!

So I'm still on a quest for "THE" guitar. I started playing when I was 12 but stopped for years and have just recently picked it up again.

I bought a little Mahogany Taylor travel guitar to practice on just to make sure that I wanted to apply myself and learn. :)

The Taylor is fun, but I want a larger guitar too.
(Can't have enough, right?:D )

So I think I have looked at and played about a thousand guitars now.
I'm totally in love with the tone of the Martins, but my main focus is learning Bluegrass and I think the tone is a little deep for it. (Also, while I love the sound of a Martin, I don't like the patterns much. (You seem to get either a choice of boring or sunburst.)
What can I say? I'm a girl and I'm finicky and want my guitar to be pretty!

SO...I found a Breedlove that I absolutely LOVE as far as the looks. I played a few similar ones and the tone sounds somewhere between a Martin and a Taylor, which is perfect.
(I don't care about resale value, so whether it's a Martin name doesn't matter to me.)

The issue is the string height and playability. The strings on this particular guitar are so high that it kills my fingers to make a chord.
The dude at the Guitar Center says that it's because the neck is "slightly "U" shaped" and the factory makes it this way. ????
I've never heard of or seen that explanation.

What is the best way to address this? Should I trust the technician at Guitar Center to fix it, or find someone I know I can trust?

Also, in trying to do a short slide, the neck isn't smooth.
Does this improve with playing?

Lastly, if you have played a Myrtlewood guitar, what do you think?

Thanks for your replies. I so appreciate the wisdom and humor on this forum!

TokyoNeko 09-06-2019 06:38 PM

Welcome to the forums.

The "string height" (or action) has nothing to do with neck shape. It has to do with the saddle height and the bend of the neck.

If you can find a reputable individual guitar tech to "set up" the guitar for anywhere from $50-100, your guitar will have the right action for playability and buzz-free playing.

BT55 09-06-2019 06:43 PM

I do not know the specs for Breedlove but Taylor’s is 5/64"-3/32" from the bottom of the big E string to the top of the 12th fret. If it is not a truss rod adjustment more than likely the height of the bridge saddle needs to be lowered.

DenverSteve 09-06-2019 08:20 PM

My Breedlove which was set up at the factory has low action and very easy play. The one you're looking at can as well. Every guitar you purchase should be set up for you and your playing. If you like the guitar have it set up for you.

jaan 09-06-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverSteve (Post 6156242)
My Breedlove which was set up at the factory has low action and very easy play. The one you're looking at can as well. Every guitar you purchase should be set up for you and your playing. If you like the guitar have it set up for you.

This ^^^^
I’ve sold guitars for many years, and will set them up for someone when they buy. I’d bet if you tell them you’d buy it if it were set up to your preference they’d do it for you. It’s a completely reasonable request.

jnf91 09-06-2019 08:31 PM

"I'm totally in love with the tone of the Martins, but my main focus is learning Bluegrass and I think the tone is a little deep for it."

Huh?

jseth 09-06-2019 09:36 PM

Breedlove absolutely does NOT set them up that way... per the norm, the guy at GC has his head... "somewhere" else!

String height can be adjusted by a decent tech; getting a setup on a new guitar is also quite normal, as you want it to play the way YOU want it, not have to adjust to it... Guitar Center is NOT noted for having good technicians; get it done by someone qualified. If you don't know one in your area, ask any "serious" guitar playing friend
and they'll tell you, or tell us where in the country you're located and someone here will likely know a good tech in your area.

I quite like the myrtle wood guitars; most I've played have been Breedloves. Which model are you considering? They have an Oregon Series line that has everything from dreadnoughts to parlors, and all are available in an all-myrtle wood configuration (back/sides and top) as well as with spruce tops. I think the spruce tops are more versatile for a lot of different styles of music, personally.

Breedlove is a great choice, by the way... they're the "under the radar" brand now; nearly half as much as a comparable Taylor or Martin, and very well-made instruments. The company has stellar customer service, too, should any problems arise.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up getting... and DON'T trust those idots at Guitar Center... (a sweeping generalization, I know, but true for 80%...)

CASD57 09-06-2019 09:56 PM

I had to file down the extra bridge they come with..probably 1/8 inch I ended up using the neck relief to bring it off the frets... But it plays like a dream now.
Discovery Concerto spruce top...
Big a Bold...Think of it like a Jumbo in tone

LisieDee 09-06-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnf91 (Post 6156251)
"I'm totally in love with the tone of the Martins, but my main focus is learning Bluegrass and I think the tone is a little deep for it."

Huh?

I just prefer a little brighter tone for bluegrass. Just personal preference.
Don't get me wrong...I love the tone of the Martin too.:)

LisieDee 09-06-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jseth (Post 6156278)
Breedlove absolutely does NOT set them up that way... per the norm, the guy at GC has his head... "somewhere" else!

String height can be adjusted by a decent tech; getting a setup on a new guitar is also quite normal, as you want it to play the way YOU want it, not have to adjust to it... Guitar Center is NOT noted for having good technicians; get it done by someone qualified. If you don't know one in your area, ask any "serious" guitar playing friend
and they'll tell you, or tell us where in the country you're located and someone here will likely know a good tech in your area.

I quite like the myrtle wood guitars; most I've played have been Breedloves. Which model are you considering? They have an Oregon Series line that has everything from dreadnoughts to parlors, and all are available in an all-myrtle wood configuration (back/sides and top) as well as with spruce tops. I think the spruce tops are more versatile for a lot of different styles of music, personally.

Breedlove is a great choice, by the way... they're the "under the radar" brand now; nearly half as much as a comparable Taylor or Martin, and very well-made instruments. The company has stellar customer service, too, should any problems arise.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up getting... and DON'T trust those idots at Guitar Center... (a sweeping generalization, I know, but true for 80%...)

Thank you!
This one is Parlor style, all sides are Myrtlewood. Beautiful binding and abalone. No electronics, but I don't plan to play on stage so that isn't a huge issue for me.

There was another one next to it that's a darker wood and it played better. The strings were adjusted fairly well for me.

I'll find a good tech. I do know a few players around here. (Eugene, Oregon area.) :D
I've been to GC a few times to look at the guitars and the only way I have ever gotten help is to go and FIND a flunkie and ask them to come and help me. They never even acknowledge me when I walk in.:(
If it wasn't for THIS particular guitar, I wouldn't even consider buying from them. I just haven't seen it anywhere else.

When I get it, I'll post a photo:)

LisieDee 09-06-2019 10:32 PM

Regarding New Breedlove and String Height

Thank you all for your thoughtful answers.

You've all confirmed what I thought to be true regarding the string height, as well as whether or not to let the techs at GC touch it.

I just have to pull the trigger and buy it. I have chickened out on a couple of guitars because I just didn't feel they were quite right. :D

One day I'll buy my Martin, but I think I'll learn to play better before I spend that much and butcher that beautiful sound!

Tom in Vegas 09-06-2019 11:24 PM

I have two Breedlove myrtlewood guitars. The first one and my favorite is a 2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue, the pretty blue one with a slight sunburst on the top! American made and came set up from the factory just about perfect. It has a Sitka Spruce top. My dream guitar.

The second one is the Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto E, which is an all Myrtlewood body and top, guitar. Larger, more Auditorium sized. Beautiful and set up a tad higher than the first one I mentioned, but that's easily fixed. Also American made. Beautiful sound but it can get a little boomy with the thinner myrtlewood top and is better at some styles than others. I'm considering selling this one. It's amazing, but it gets the least play of my 6 guitars.

As long as there is enough saddle, you can take the action down easily enough. If the saddle is low you may be in neck reset territory, but the bolt on neck makes that easier, but you shouldn't be worrying about that on a guitar this new.

Sounds like the guy at GC is an idiot and you need a good guitar tech, so find something pretty (like mine!!) and then get it set up to your specifications!!

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/1310/8ONrkZ.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/6179/pWpzin.jpg

LisieDee 09-07-2019 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom in Vegas (Post 6156326)
I have two Breedlove myrtlewood guitars. The first one and my favorite is a 2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue, the pretty blue one with a slight sunburst on the top! American made and came set up from the factory just about perfect. It has a Sitka Spruce top. My dream guitar.

Wow! That is a pretty guitar.
I told my husband that I'm going to pick up the guitar tomorrow.
I really hope I don't get in there and chicken out again!
(I think I just need to know their return policy. I wonder if they're smart enough to know that much!):D

Thanks Tom for your help. I'm excited to get it and have it set up properly.

CASD57 09-07-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisieDee (Post 6156350)
Wow! That is a pretty guitar.
I told my husband that I'm going to pick up the guitar tomorrow.
I really hope I don't get in there and chicken out again!
(I think I just need to know their return policy. I wonder if they're smart enough to know that much!):D

Thanks, Tom for your help. I'm excited to get it and have it set up properly.

And give the guitar time to acclimate to your home/Climate..It could take a week or two before it starts to open up and make you smile..

KevWind 09-07-2019 08:17 AM

While my Breedlove Phoenix is perhaps only very slightly higher than my Taylor from the factory , it was and is not at all hard to chord . As everyone is saying it can be adjusted lower