The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   My review of Seymour Duncan Wavelength Duo pickup (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485915)

tochiro 10-13-2017 03:19 AM

My review of Seymour Duncan Wavelength Duo pickup

Hi,

I bought this pickup recently and had it installed by a pro. For about 15 years I've had several pickups in my Marin HD28 including Fishman piezo, K&K Trinity, Baggs M80. I am strumming mainly. The Wavelength Duo is by far the best I've ever had and that was exactly what I was looking for - unobtrusive and natural sounding.

I am using in-ears so that I can use the condenser mic as much as the piezo without feedback problems (but I must add that we have a very good sound engineer in the band). The sound is really the most natural I've ever had, very close to the acoustic sound of my HD28.

After using this pickup for a few gigs and rehearsals, I fully recommend it (I have no affiliation with Seymour Duncan whatsoever).

martingitdave 10-13-2017 12:47 PM

Excellent! Note, from my thread on this pickup, that it can be modified to work very will with the K&K Pure mini. This is a great option for a stage guitar.

tochiro 10-18-2017 12:14 AM

Thank you! Currently I don't feel the need to modify it though because the sound I get is really nice.

ii Cybershot ii 10-18-2017 12:30 AM

Glad to hear your review, this system looks amazing!

El Conquistador 10-18-2017 10:53 AM

Just a word of caution:

From their website: "The Duo uses the Wavelength unitary design, piezoelectric co-polymer, under-saddle pickup"

If you use this guitar only for live performance, then the above is not an issue.

If, however, you use this guitar for personal unamplified playing, you run the risk of this "co-polymer" UST negatively effecting the tone of your unamplified guitar.

The saddle/bridge is a critical connection for maximizing the energy from the strings to the top and this soft cord placed between the saddle and the bridge has the very real potential for robbing some of this energy from your guitar.

Again, just something to be aware of.

Steve

tochiro 10-18-2017 12:31 PM

The unamplified sound of my Martin is still exactly the same to my ears. A pro installed the pickup. I guess it's the same with any piezo under the saddle.

martingitdave 10-18-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Conquistador (Post 5509751)
Just a word of caution:

From their website: "The Duo uses the Wavelength unitary design, piezoelectric co-polymer, under-saddle pickup"

If you use this guitar only for live performance, then the above is not an issue.

If, however, you use this guitar for personal unamplified playing, you run the risk of this "co-polymer" UST negatively effecting the tone of your unamplified guitar.

The saddle/bridge is a critical connection for maximizing the energy from the strings to the top and this soft cord placed between the saddle and the bridge has the very real potential for robbing some of this energy from your guitar.

Again, just something to be aware of.

Steve

We have affectionately taken to calling that UST “the sponge.” :-)

tochiro 10-19-2017 12:16 AM

Well let's say I am fond of a "sponge" like that :-)