The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   santa cruz om grand opinions (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569974)

identity71 01-21-2020 08:43 AM

santa cruz om grand opinions

Hi,
i would like to buy an om deep body (i was about to order custom martin db from a dealer), but i've noticed an interesting guitar, can you tell me something about santa cruz om grand? it's on sale new at a good price, i think (around 4600 euro, anyway not cheap for me :-)), but i'm afraid to order a guitar of this kind without trying it.
also, any other deep body or 0000 suggestions?
thanks

Bill Kraus 01-21-2020 10:49 AM

All I can say is that I love my standard depth Santa Cruz koa OM.
You say you found the Santa Cruz at a dealer, most dealers will ship the guitar for you with an approval period of a day or two so you can try it out and see if you like it, this may be worth doing. Is the dealer in your country?

SprintBob 01-21-2020 03:08 PM

I just took delivery of a 2014 OM/PW cedar/EIR and it is a wonderfully responsive guitar with a lot of projection (volume). An OM Grand of the same build spec would be like notching the gain knob up. I think the only possible downside to the Grand model would be if a thinner body like the standard OM is more comfortable to play for you.

brianlcox 01-21-2020 03:10 PM

Where are you

If you are posting prices in Euros, perhaps you are in Europe? In this case, AGF forum member Watersson has an OM Grand in Blackwood and Redwood on sale here. Check that one out if it's close to you!

BradHall 01-21-2020 05:59 PM

I played a friends Collings deep body OM and was so impressed I built one based on the design specs for myself. If you get the opportunity to play one you won’t be disappointed.

chippygreen 01-21-2020 06:02 PM

As an M-36 fan, I've been on the lookout for an affordable 2nd hand OM Grand for a few years now. From the sound clips I've listened to I think I would enjoy owning one.

They rarely come up, and when they are do they are never cheap or given away. Maybe that tells us something....?

Organic Sounds Select Guitars 01-21-2020 06:16 PM

Hi identity71. I’ve owned a Santa Cruz OM Grand for the past four years. It is a terrific guitar. It’s very much like the Santa Cruz OM model (less so like the OM/PW), but a bit bigger, louder and deeper sounding. I find the dimensions of the guitar comfortable. I do not believe that it’s any deeper than the regular OM model, just wider especially across the lower bout. I don’t know if its identical in size to a Martin M or 0000, but think along those lines (versus a deep body Collings).

Mine is sitka over Indian rosewood, and I’ve become quite attached to it. Having said that, if starting over again, I might consider a regular OM model as the ones I’ve played seem a bit more balanced and perhaps responsive. I’d love to play an OM Grand with mahogany or walnut back and sides...

BrunoBlack 01-21-2020 06:50 PM

I’ve owned a SCGC German/EIR OM for 3 years and a SCGC OMG Italian/Cocobolo for 2 years. I like both of them a lot. I think the OMG is as nice sounding as any guitar I’ve played. It’s fantastic. Deep bass, strong mids and nice full trebles. It’s very well balanced. The OMG was custom built (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=500843) The dimensions of the OMG are close to an 0000, but slightly deeper. I do think the OM is slightly more comfortable to play. The OM just fits my body better when I play sitting. But the OMG is a clear winner in tone for my taste - with a deeper richer tone.

OMG Dimensions
Body Length 20"
Body Depth 3-3/8" - 4-3/8" (0000 - Depth 3 5/16”-4 1/8”)
Lower Bout 16"
Waist 9-3/4 "
Upper Bout 11-5/8"
Overall Length 20-1/16"
Number of Frets 21
Frets Clear of the Body 14

Joe Beamish 01-21-2020 07:16 PM

I played a number of OMs (including a Santa Cruz OM Grand) before eventually buying a Santa Cruz OM. I played three or four Santa Cruz OMs, a lot of Collings OMs, and a number of 000 guitars, including a number of 000-28's in different varieties. These were all nice guitars, in a way. Well built. Solid. Great intonation, range, tone, playability. But only two of them were really good (the OM I purchased, and a smokin' Collings OM1A), even though I played many examples of the same model.

Point being, I feel that there's significant variation even among guitars that are the same exact model and year. I would never buy a guitar sight unseen.

One of these guitars happened to be a Santa Cruz OM Grand that was just so-so in my book. I really think guitars are individuals.

loco gringo 01-21-2020 07:26 PM

Love it. European / EIR.

I would love to play a mahogany version.

identity71 01-22-2020 06:06 AM

santa cruz om grand seems very good, even if i would prefer 2-1/4 string spacing (57 mm). 2-3/16 (56mm) could be too narrow. i really would like bigger body depth for more bass and volume. anyway santacruz is quite exprensive, i am wondering if it's not better to build a martin custom for the same price (but with cocobolo and adi woods and deep body)

cigarfan 01-22-2020 07:04 AM

I have a Kinnaird OMDB for sale. Bear Claw Sitka over Indonesian Rosewood. It is my second and too close in tone with my other Kinnaird OMDB. An awesome guitar but out of your stated price range.

identity71 01-23-2020 07:19 AM

Just 2 options left:
1) to buy now sc grand om (4600 euro) with the chance to try it for 14 days.
2) place an order martin custom om deep body ( all the soecs i need, like cocobolo, adirondack, slotthead, 2-1/4 string spacing, but 6 months of waiting, 6500 euro and no try )

brencat 01-23-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by identity71 (Post 6273125)
Just 2 options left:
1) to buy now sc grand om (4600 euro) with the chance to try it for 14 days.
2) place an order martin custom om deep body ( all the soecs i need, like cocobolo, adirondack, slotthead, 2-1/4 string spacing, but 6 months of waiting, 6500 euro and no try )

This is a no-brainer. You take the trial on the Santa Cruz.

I've gone the custom route with Martin and never again. Unless it's a dealer custom you can buy and return if you don't like it, there is simply too much rolling of the dice. Also, Martin doesn't voice/tap tune their instruments and never has. For 6500 EUR, there are plenty of other fish in the sea and certainly on the boutique side that are better value and who do optimize/tap tune.

MHC 01-23-2020 10:43 AM

Here is a neat little demo video comparing the Santa Cruz OM Grand with a Collings Deep Body OM.

I find it revealing about the differences between the OM deeper body design vs. the larger lower bought design.