The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Martin designs the PERFECT guitar! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569659)

Sonics 01-18-2020 08:02 AM

Martin designs the PERFECT guitar!

Chris Martin has given his young designers autonomy...and they've used it to create something MODERN and FUNCTIONAL. This instrument will probably upset the traditionalists...but this guitar was not designed for you. The street price will be circa $1500.

This and more at NAMM 2020...

gr81dorn 01-18-2020 08:04 AM

Lots of discussion already from earlier this week: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=569406

Puerto Player 01-18-2020 08:09 AM

Without a cut-a-way, how could it be the perfect guitar! I didn't watch all the way to the cut-a-way, that's worth giving a strum then.

YamahaGuy 01-18-2020 08:24 AM

I love the neck idea. That's why I'd been considering a pro series Tak. I wonder how it'll sound plugged in though.

dwasifar 01-18-2020 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr81dorn (Post 6268330)
Lots of discussion already from earlier this week: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=569406

Thanks for posting that. I don't have half an hour to watch that whole video. Faster to read about it than spend 32 minutes watching those guys jabber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puerto Player (Post 6268334)
Without a cut-a-way, how could it the perfect guitar!

Um. It does have a cutaway.

ataylor 01-18-2020 08:40 AM

Old news. The D-18 has been around for over 80 years!

Kidding, but only partly ;)

Bob from Brooklyn 01-18-2020 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ataylor (Post 6268357)
Old news. The D-18 has been around for over 80 years!

Kidding, but only partly ;)

First thought that came to my mind also. :D

MaurysMusic 01-18-2020 08:56 AM

I got the chance to play this on Thursday and Friday and I’m gonna go back to Martin Monday to play it some more. :guitar:

It’s VERY easy to play and sounds meatier than I expected it to. As a gigging musician, I’m very tempted to own one.

YMMV.

roylor4 01-18-2020 09:08 AM

It's not a dread. It has an asymmetrical body shape, a cutaway and a bolt on neck. Shaped more like a 0000 or GA with an offset body curve. As for how it sounds, look up the video of Don Carr from Sweetwater playing it. One guess.....

Quack, quack

"Groundbreaking" new guitar with budget Fishman UST. :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sonics 01-18-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwasifar (Post 6268350)
Thanks for posting that. I don't have half an hour to watch that whole video. Faster to read about it than spend 32 minutes watching those guys jabber.

You can jump straight to time index 17:06, but you'll miss the other Martin 'goodies'.

This Martin representative is the head of the design team and he is doing a good job, considering he's not a salesperson. He has 'personality', and I think Martin has found the new Diane Ponzio.

KevWind 01-18-2020 09:21 AM

The irony is so palpable as to be pretty hilarious

Now we can in all "objective fairness" level the same emotional subjective, ranting, criticisms, against Martin and their "design guy" and their "Marketing claims" that have been repeated ad nauseam at Taylor and Mr. Powers .

In the video the design guy paraphrases or repeats almost verbatim much of what Powers and Taylor have said .....

"Years in development"... "Solve some problems in acoustic guitar design" ... "Inspire players to do more rather than be limited " " brand new Platform of guitar" " represents a ton innovation" bla bla bla.

In reality bolt on is not "new" or "innovative".... dovetail is not "new" or "innovative" .... elongated cut away for more access" is not "new" or "innovative" ....beveled carve on heal for more access is not "new" or "innovative" ....

"New" for Martin OK great .. "New or innovative" in the guitar world ? Sorry not ....

Now unlike the Taylor "ranties". I personally don't see a problem with a design guy being excited and singing his own praises. And think it is great that Martin is doing this, and wish them all the success they deserve.
It would in fact be a Martin I would very much like to try.

Coler 01-18-2020 09:55 AM

Definitely interested in this and.looking forward to trying it out.

Treenewt 01-18-2020 10:01 AM

I am more excited over What the future iterations of this guitar could be. As many have said, I’d love to see it in a standard series configuration (with a better pickup!)

Borderdon 01-18-2020 10:08 AM

Perfect, well, I dunno, but I’d love to play one, and it just might be the guitar for lots of folks.

Photojeep 01-18-2020 10:10 AM

I'm pretty new to Martin Guitars so I don't have too much "stuck-in-the-mud" feeling about straying too far from tradition. I find this new asymmetrical guitar VERY intriguing! I'm a dread guy and always will be but have always been on the look out for a non-dread model that can give me a great sound that is dread-like in sound yet still a bit different.

I think I may have found my new guitar! Who knows, I may sell my 2 Martins and get this...

I can't wait to get my hands on one to hear and see for myself!

Best,
PJ