The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New Baggs IR pedal... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568609)

AeroUSA 01-07-2020 10:05 PM

New Baggs IR pedal...

https://www.lrbaggs.com/soundscape-a...response-pedal

Petty1818 01-07-2020 10:11 PM

Very interesting. I question the smart phone mic abilities but they deliverers a fairly easy way to capture the tone of your guitar. I just ordered a shure mv88 smart phone mic. I would be tempted to use that for better tones. I am interested to hear more.

martingitdave 01-07-2020 10:31 PM

New Baggs IR pedal...

This confirms a switch in philosophy among the acoustic amplification companies. Fishman Aura, ToneDexter and LR Baggs are offering similar technology. I think the ToneDexter set the stage for homemade wave maps. Baggs appears to move the math and the mic to the cellphone to reduce the cost. Gonna be an interesting year. In the meantime, K&K players can rejoice that even Baggs thinks the best sound can come from IR pedal and a simple pickup. They even lowered impedance to 2.2M Ohms for SBT players to use with ease. Hmmmmmm.

wood nacho 01-07-2020 10:40 PM

Very interesting.. but yeah, using the smartphone mic? Hmm. The tone in the video was good but it certainly wasn't groundbreaking. I'm guessing that this guy will come with a high price tag too.

Props to the Baggs team regardless.

necrome 01-07-2020 10:49 PM

The sound in the demo video is very mediocre. All those "wow"s don't help either.

AeroUSA 01-07-2020 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necrome (Post 6259206)
The sound in the demo video is very mediocre. All those "wow"s don't help either.

I agree. The reason Tone Dexter is great is because it sounds excellent. The Baggs doesn’t seem to match it based on the video.

The Growler 01-07-2020 11:29 PM

I want to see and try it live.

Lloyd doesn't strike me as being gimmicky. i want to try it, but I have to think it works pretty well.

Groberts 01-08-2020 12:04 AM

Color me interested. Looks cool!

Doug Young 01-08-2020 12:34 AM

I got an early demo of this last fall while it was still in a prototype stage. I haven't seen the final product. What I heard in-person was pretty impressive, and the results seemed better than what I'm hearing on this video. Using the iphone mic is an interesting approach, and is consistent with my experience with ToneDexter - the mic doesn't really matter as much as you'd think. Looking forward to checking out the product version!

lkingston 01-08-2020 12:35 AM

I know I’ve used an RTA app on a smartphone for several years now. I find it to be pretty accurate in all but the lowest frequencies, which are probably lower than needed for this application. This is certainly interesting tech, and I’m glad to see another player get into the custom IR game. Oh, and I LOVE Charlie Worsham!

Cuki79 01-08-2020 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Young (Post 6259231)
Using the iphone mic is an interesting approach, and is consistent with my experience with ToneDexter - the mic doesn't really matter as much as you'd think.

I agree with you Doug.

guitaniac 01-08-2020 04:32 AM

Kudos to Baggs and Doug for keeping this under their hats. I didn't have a clue this was coming.

Didn't Lloyd Baggs say that it works with all their pickups? That would include mics and mags.

Oops. It was head engineer Tommy Lynn who said that it works with all the Baggs systems.

lppier 01-08-2020 05:19 AM

Interesting ! Let’s hope that by the end of 2020 we can record nice unplugged acoustic tones simply by jacking in.

jonfields45 01-08-2020 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martingitdave (Post 6259193)
Baggs appears to move the math and the mic to the cellphone to reduce the cost.

Since ToneDexter is not doing anything in total that is different than Aura or its Japanese predecessor, the ToneDexter patent claims integration of IR generation and IR playback (in great detail of all the possible versions of a playback device).

The Baggs setup avoids the ToneDexter patent claims by separating IR generation and likely the Aura patents have expired.

Using a cell phone mic is a nice cost savings to the end user if it works well enough.

ToneDexter is an absolutely first class roadworthy physical design with a huge trove of trade secrets in its software.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in AGF reviews.

BluesKing777 01-08-2020 05:43 AM

Sign me up for one......

We have a few questions. How does the file get on the gadget? WiFi? Lead? Which iPhone plug?
Being a moron, how do I stop the phone ringing or texting me while processing a guitar file? You know, important stuff like...ring, ring....”Do you want anything at the supermarket on my way?” Etc. Will that transfer to the soundprint?:D
And phone charge!

BluesKing777.