The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   1974 Gibson Dove (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558432)

Doxyshusband 09-21-2019 07:57 AM

1974 Gibson Dove

I have a chance to buy a Dove in excellent condition. Looks as though it’s hardly ever been played. I hear 70s Gibsons we’re inferior products. This one looks and sounds great. Is there anything I should be aware of to check for in this vintage?

Larry Mal 09-21-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doxyshusband (Post 6167991)
This one looks and sounds great.

You've answered your own question.

Wade Hampton 09-21-2019 08:16 AM

If you’ve found one that you like and can afford, grab it. 1970’s vintage Gibson acoustics are definitely a mixed bag, with so many really crappy ones in circulation that it would be deeply foolish to buy one without having the chance to play it first. But you’ve played this one and like it, so it’s already been vetted by you.

Gibson acoustic guitars from the 1970’s are built like tanks, frankly, so it’s doubtful anything is going to go wrong with it now if it hasn’t already.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

ManyMartinMan 09-21-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doxyshusband (Post 6167991)
I have a chance to buy a Dove in excellent condition. Looks as though it’s hardly ever been played. ... This one looks and sounds great. ...

That is all that matters. If you approach every guitar purchase from how good the instrument plays and sounds, you will always be rewarded with great instruments. The usual disclaimers apply for an old instrument. Check the neck angle, string height, nut height and make sure it doesn't have any unexplained rattles or noises.

ADDED: If you aren't familiar with vintage instruments, do not pay a vintage instrument price without a professional evaluation. An old Gibson (not generally a '74 but possibly) that looks unplayed can be refinished which eliminates most "vintage" or age-added value. If you're just buying a great guitar at a great price, go for it. Then, of course, post photos.

Doxyshusband 09-21-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade Hampton (Post 6168005)
If you’ve found one that you like and can afford, grab it. 1970’s vintage Gibson acoustics are definitely a mixed bag, with so many really crappy ones in circulation that it would be deeply foolish to buy one without having the chance to play it first. But you’ve played this one and like it, so it’s already been vetted by you.

Gibson acoustic guitars from the 1970’s are built like tanks, frankly, so it’s doubtful anything is going to go wrong with it now if it hasn’t already.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

It helps a lot. Thanks Wade. I’ve never bought a vintage guitar before, at least nothing older than a decade, so I lack experience. I do trust the dealer. And I trust my ear. Tone was never the question. Built like a tank tells me what I need to know. It does have heft. The finish is still perfect, too. I’m buying it.

Cabarone 09-21-2019 10:52 PM

The one guitar I still regret letting go was my '76 or '77 Dove...my "first love"...as has been said, you've answered your own question...

Proclaimer888 09-22-2019 04:32 AM

Good luck in your purchase!! Glad you played it as that is the ultimate test. Promise ya will post picks when you get her home!!!:up::up::up::up:

Pitar 09-22-2019 06:08 AM

Gotta go with your ears and hands.

Athens 09-22-2019 08:54 AM

70's Dove

As mentioned above, that period saw some great guitars and some real clunkers. Quality was all over the place and the only way to tell if it was a keeper was to play it.

You might want to do a search on "Norlin Gibsons" and see what you find.

Also, there was a recent thread on another 70's Gibson that had the same feedback. If I can find it I'll post a link.

Sounds as if you found one of the good ones.

zombywoof 09-23-2019 09:27 AM

Like others, I would wonder why if you like the guitar you would give one fig what the opinion of others was. With regard to your question, offhand, there are no issues peculiar to these guitars I can think of. Just the normal stuff you look at with all used guitars which raise red flags such as cracks running from the end of the board to the soundhole, loose braces and such.

One thing you can surely say about 1970s Gibsons is they were built strong and sturdy. On the upside, the Dove and others had lost its ADJ saddle bridge and gone back to the 1 11/16" nut. On the downside, of course, is the bracing which was not only bulky but there was a whole lot of it.

But were the late-1960s and 1970s as much of a dark age for Gibson acoustics as we recall and which has since become a part of the Gibson mythology. I played them when they were new and did not care for them. But I was stacking them up against the much older Gibsons I had bought used. And I think whether you are a Gibson "newbie" or have years under your belt playing guitars from the 1940s and 1950s has more than a little to do with how kindly you think of the Norlin-era instruments.

hat 09-23-2019 09:56 AM

Gibson acoustics of this period had a 'double X' bracing configuration. Behind the main X was a second one. A very stiff bracing scheme. I don't know the exact timeline for when they used that bracing pattern. I had a Hummingbird from that era. Once I had the rear x shaved down, it was a very fine sounding guitar, despite the very thick finish.

zombywoof 09-24-2019 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat (Post 6169658)
Gibson acoustics of this period had a 'double X' bracing configuration. Behind the main X was a second one. A very stiff bracing scheme. I don't know the exact timeline for when they used that bracing pattern. I had a Hummingbird from that era. Once I had the rear x shaved down, it was a very fine sounding guitar, despite the very thick finish.

Gibson bracing got heavier in 1968 and then even more bulky in 1969. They went to the now infamous Double X bracing in 1971.

Doxyshusband 09-30-2019 09:11 PM

I did get the guitar and it sounds even better at home than in the store. I had to leave town on business right after the purchase so I had no time to play it much till this evening. I couldn’t wait. I’m even more crazy about it after being without it for a week. I do owe pics. I’ve forgotten how to post them, but I’ll try to make good this weekend. Thanks for all the insight. Just for the record, the reason I asked the question was simply because I didn’t know if I was supposed to be looking for something besides checking the neck and looking for visible cracks, obvious stuff. I never bought an older guitar before and I worried the guitar was too good to be true. But it looks like I got something special. I was in the right place at the right time. This forum has done me a lot of good. I hope I can reciprocate some day.

eljay 10-01-2019 05:22 AM

Way to go, bro! I have two Doves and they are special . . . ya done good.

thomasinaz 10-01-2019 08:22 AM

Congrats on the new Dove!!! One of my "just need one more" guitars. Can't wait to see the pics.