The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Events and New Releases (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Tozier's "Guitar Pieces" Summer Road Trip and Mini-Tour (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128889)

Jim Tozier 06-22-2008 08:40 PM

Tozier's "Guitar Pieces" Summer Road Trip and Mini-Tour

Well, my summer road trip/tour begins tomorrow. I'll be covering over 3000 miles in just over two weeks, and performing 12 times in 9 different states.

This will be the first "tour" of any sort that I've done as a solo performer (I've done a number of traveling gigs before, but never more than 2 or 3 at a time), so this will be new and exciting for me. I'm looking forward to it!

I probably won't be on the AGF much over the next month or so, because as soon as I get back from the tour, I'll be heading to Baltimore to join my 4-year-old daughter, Shannon, in time for her upcoming surgery.

I will try to check in each night or two and update this thread with "tales from the road," to share some of the things I've experienced and the people I've met. Since many of the people I'll be seeing during the trip are AGF members, they may be chiming in with their thoughts, too.

First stop... tomorrow night in Blacksburg, VA, where I'll be doing a house concert and guitar workshop, hosted by AGF member Cliff "Ragamuffin" Ragsdale. If you're nearby, it's probably not too late to join us. Just look for Raggamuffin's thread in this section about SW Virgina AGF'ers and get in touch with Cliff.

The other stops on the tour are listed here on my website.

I hope to see you soon!

Thin Crust 06-23-2008 08:35 PM

Very soon indeed. Jim even asked to ship his new Goodall here for me to babysit until he arrives on Saturday..........brave man. ;)

For anyone within driving distance of Central Arkansas, I still have a few tickets left. Give me a shout and come on to Little Rock for Jim Tozier at Studio Joe on Saturday the 28th!

Raggamuffin 06-23-2008 10:11 PM

Report from Blacksburg

Jim Tozier’s summer mini-tour kicked off tonight in fine fashion with a house concert here at my home in Blacksburg, VA. It was quite a treat to have this gifted yet humble artist grace us with his talents. And hearing the stories behind the songs brought each one to life in a beautiful way.

One of the surprises for me was seeing Jim pull his new graphite RainSong guitar out of his car. I hadn’t heard or played one of these before tonight, but it sure sounded great (especially when Jim played it!) – and it is the only guitar he’s brought on this tour.

http://courseware.vt.edu/users/crags...er/Trinity.jpg

We were also treated to Jim’s song (aptly named) Trinity that involved the use of (count ‘em) three capos (full, drop D, and cut). Jim also provided his tab of this and some other songs he played for us...

http://courseware.vt.edu/users/cragsdal/Tozier/Tab.jpg

Besides his great playing, Jim shared his thoughts on various guitar topics from Michael Hedges’ playing and composition prowess, to graphite guitars, to strategies for playing in alternate tunings...

http://courseware.vt.edu/users/crags...Discussion.jpg

If Jim is coming anywhere near you on this tour, do yourself a favor and get out to meet and hear this talented, delightful, and gracious AGFer. You will have a great time!

Thanks again, Jim, for a wonderful evening that far exceeded my expectations. And Godspeed on the rest of your tour.

All the best,

Cliff

Jim Tozier 06-23-2008 11:12 PM

Thanks, Cliff!

The concert/workshop was a lot of fun... and it was a pleasure meeting you and your guests. Now you just need to steer a few of them to the AGF so they can join us! :)

Yes, it's true... I made a last-minute decision to bring only the RainSong with me, because I knew it would be able to handle the rigors of the road and tolerate being left in a hot car while I ate lunch or dinner, etc. But don't worry, it's in good hands... our own Greg Gwaltney has graciously agreed to babysit the Fay OM and give it some attention while I'm away. Have I mentioned how nice it is to have him nearby? ;)

I think most of tonight's audience was impressed with the sound of the RainSong, and we passed it around afterwards so everyone could try it out for themselves.

I also got to try Cliff's Babicz guitar. I'd played one briefly in the past, but I had a chance to play a couple of tunes on it tonight and get a better impression.

The first thing one noticed about a Babicz, of course, is the unique way te strings are anchored on the guitar top. It's a distinctive look, and one that probably takes some (OK... a lot of) getting used to. Cliff's Babicz was done in a beautiful sunburst, though, which almost--almost--allowed me to ignore the strings splaying across the top. :)

The second thing I noticed was the weight... it's a heavy guitar, and not just because I was comparing it to the ultra-light RainSong. It's one of those guitars that can double as protection agaist home intruders. One swing with this, and a burglar would be flatter than Stanley.

Now for the really cool feature. It has a neck joint that can be adjusted with an allen wrench (which is conveniently stored on the back of the headstock with a pair of clips) in a matter of seconds. Cliff told me to play with it, so I first adjusted the action very low and did a fingerstyle tune, then grabbed the wrench and adjusted the action to the hider side and did some strumming. Amazingly, the guiter stayed in tune (or only need a minor tweak on a string or two) each time it was changed. I'm not sure how often I'd use this feature (I tend to think I'd "set it and forget it"), but if you like different action for different styles or string gauges, this is pretty neat and very easy. And, yes, it's fun to play with. :)

It also sounded better than I expected it to....

How 'bout a picture of the burst on that Babicz, Cliff? :)

Thanks again, Cliff, for an enjoyable evening and a pleasurable way to begin the tour!

Jim Tozier 06-23-2008 11:23 PM

Next stop... the shores of Lake Norman, NC for a house concert hosted by Paul "paxcam" Cameron.

SteveS 06-24-2008 12:48 AM

Jim,
When is your San Diego concert? :)

fitness1 06-24-2008 04:33 AM

[QUOTE=Thin Crust;1514452]Very soon indeed. Jim even asked to ship his new Goodall here for me to babysit until he arrives on Saturday..........brave man. ;)

QUOTE]

New Goodall?? and which one would that be.....hadn't heard about that!!!

Jim Tozier 06-24-2008 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness1 (Post 1514603)
New Goodall?? and which one would that be.....hadn't heard about that!!!

That woud be the AKCJ in my signature... which I picked up here on the forum last week after selling my Fender Telecaster and Twin. :)

Raggamuffin 06-24-2008 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Tozier (Post 1514554)
How 'bout a picture of the burst on that Babicz, Cliff? :)

Oh, alright... ;) Like Jim, I'm not a huge fan of the splaying of the strings across the top of Babicz guitars (though they do offer another model with a more traditional bridge without the splaying). But the sunburst on this one made me like it enough to buy it -- and it does play nicely. It has a mahogany top and rosewood back and sides and is an interesting guitar to have in one's collection. Martin has reportedly licensed Babicz's design for the easily adjustable neck/action described in Jim's post (above). So at least that part of Babicz's innovation seems to have gained some traction.

http://courseware.vt.edu/users/cragsdal/Tozier/Bab2.JPG

http://courseware.vt.edu/users/cragsdal/Tozier/Bab3.JPG

Thin Crust 06-24-2008 12:14 PM

Well Jim..........if you left the Fay behind because of temperature concerns, prehaps you'll need to leave the Goodall in Little Rock until the tour is over. I'll treat her nice, honest. ;)

Okay Arkansas people, four more days until Jim is here. Let's get those tickets reserved, and I'll meet you at the door! :up:

bnjp 06-24-2008 08:21 PM

Hey Jim. This is getting me excited about the Jim Tozier Concert here in Greenville, SC this Thursday night!

Here's some more info!: http://bryanparris.blogspot.com/2008...eces-tour.html

Any of you folks near SC won't want to miss the chance to hear Jim along with two other very talented guitarists, Brandon Dyke, and Dave Wike.

E-mail me from my profile if you need more info!

Thin Crust 06-25-2008 01:07 PM

In case you are checking in Jim, the Goodall is here and safe. I put some medium strings on her and tuned it up a full step just to make sure the bridge was glued on tight. Should be good and broken in by Saturday. (this was a poor attempt at humor Jim.......relax buddy)

Tickets available at the door for Saturday's show in Little Rock! Come on Arkansas folks. :guitar:

Jim Tozier 06-25-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thin Crust (Post 1515773)
In case you are checking in Jim, the Goodall is here and safe. I put some medium strings on her and tuned it up a full step just to make sure the bridge was glued on tight. Should be good and broken in by Saturday. (this was a poor attempt at humor Jim.......relax buddy)

Actually, it already has mediums on there. :)

You know, I might just take you up on the idea of babysitting her a bit longer. ;)

Have I mentioned yet how glad I am to have a Rainsong on this trip??

fitness1 06-25-2008 02:22 PM

just got back from double/triple checking the amenities in our room for the 3rd JT, I think you're going to really like it. Picture a very plush 250 seat movie theatre with really good acoustics......Alden Dow designed, of course!
Should be a fun night. With the humidity the way it's been here, you'll be glad you've got that Rainsong with you!!!

Thin Crust 06-25-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Have I mentioned yet how glad I am to have a Rainsong on this trip??
Uh.........I hope you have TWO Rainsongs on this trip. ;)