The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Billy Strings (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517513)

Steel and wood 08-04-2018 07:31 AM

Billy Strings

Just discovered ... what a great player and singer to boot!

rokdog49 08-04-2018 07:35 AM

Yes, but is that his real last name? :D

roylor4 08-04-2018 08:16 AM

Billy is a great performer too, saw him in a VERY small setting w/Don Julin at Shakori Hills music festival.

He's a fantastic flatpicker but tends to overplay quite a bit IMHO.

Joe Mendel 08-04-2018 10:49 AM

That is not his real name, it's a nickname given by his grandfather I'm told. I saw him once and he overplayed a whole lot, it was not pleasant. I was really disappointed because I had heard so many good things about him. No doubt the kid can play.

Cabarone 08-04-2018 11:45 AM

Yeah, he's real good but wayyyy overplays...the Eddie Van Halen of Bluegrass...

Realbluesman 08-04-2018 11:51 AM

I actually saw him last evening on the "Woodsongs" tv show (RFD tv). He is obviously very talented but it was hard to watch. I felt bad for his band.

The host promised that he would be showing off his "heavy metal guitar" skills in the next segment. I did not make it that far.....:D

Cabarone 08-04-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realbluesman (Post 5800573)
I actually saw him last evening on the "Woodsongs" tv show (RFD tv). He is obviously very talented but it was hard to watch. I felt bad for his band.

The host promised that he would be showing off his "heavy metal guitar" skills in the next segment. I did not make it that far.....:D

That's the show I saw him on, too...couldn't make it through the whole episode...was a year or so ago, might've been the same episode...

sabatini 08-04-2018 12:00 PM

He obviously knows his way around a guitar but I don't care for his style. Also, the name is pretentious.

Jcamp 08-04-2018 12:18 PM

I’m n the same boat as everyone else. I’ve never met him or saw him live but after about 2 or 3 YouTube videos it’s all I can handle. He’s a great player but to me after a while everything he plays sounds the same.... plus he’s just hard to watch.

DukeX 08-04-2018 12:24 PM

I guess I'm in the minority here. I like him a lot. I like his name, too.

I like Tommy E. as well. Some don't.

Inyo 08-04-2018 12:32 PM

I'm supremely surprised and frankly quite alarmed with the unabated consensus of obvious negativity directed toward Billy Strings in this thread.

I posted the following in the LISTEN sub-forum back on April 14, 2018:

I'm liking this Billy Strings video a lot (Echo Sessions 28)--uploaded to YouTube on February 21, 2017. He's in Asheville, North Carolina, with his band--at the Echo Mountain Recording Studio--for a full in-house show, originally streamed live to the Internet on January 12, 2017, by IamAVL (Independent Arts And Music Asheville).

This is most-enjoyable musical material, in my opinion. Clearly, Billy Strings is a gifted virtuoso flatpicker:

Ozark 08-04-2018 12:37 PM

I like his music very well. He is a talented song writer and plays fantastic as well as the others in his band in my opinion. I happen to like music with longer guitar playing.

His real name is William Apostle.

mmasters 08-04-2018 12:42 PM

He's not "there" yet, IMHO, but he has a lot of potential.

Denny B 08-04-2018 01:43 PM

I've been a fan of Billy Strings for awhile now...

I'm apparently in the minority, but I find his performance style, especially Bluegrass, refreshing...

He certainly doesn't play with a deadpan face and feet nailed to the floor and I enjoy it tremendously...

I think he's an extremely gifted young guitar player, and a great future ahead of him...

packmule 08-04-2018 01:59 PM

I have a lot of time for Billy Strings, saw some clips of him and his band doing a tribute to Doc Watson that was great, and I really enjoy the clips he does for Carter Vintage Guitars, like this one, which I've watched many times: