The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Classical guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507746)

YasunBey13 04-19-2018 08:14 PM

Classical guitar

What makes a good one from a not so good one? I want to get a classical Yamaha but don't know where to start? Any suggestions on what guitar to get I dont want a cheap one but not an expensive one either.

mr. beaumont 04-19-2018 08:29 PM

Well, on the inexpensive route, there's a few clear choices...

Yamaha, a Cordoba C5 (or C7, to extend your budget a bit) Kremona Sofia...that's if you intend to play "classical."

If you're after a nylon string sound, but not necessarily clsssical, definitely also include LaPatrie on your list.

jimmy bookout 04-19-2018 09:30 PM

What makes a good one?
BALANCE string to string!

Cheap classicals tend to be bass heavy (or treble light).
Cordoba C10's are nice guitars, you can always find used ones on ebay for under a grand. They tend to be very consistent. I've had 2 Kremonas, I found them to be heavily built and lacking a C10's balance.

Now, if you're looking at crossovers, the Taylor nylons are nicely built (as are all Taylors) but they really are electric guitars, IMO. They are not good acoustically.

YasunBey13 04-19-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. beaumont (Post 5706294)

Yamaha, a Cordoba C5 (or C7, to extend your budget a bit) Kremona Sofia...that's if you intend to play "classical."

If you're after a nylon string sound, but not necessarily clsssical, definitely also include LaPatrie on your list.

Yes more on the nylon sound.. Any specific guitar by LaPatrie you would recommend thanks a bunch

Rapido Eduwardo 04-22-2018 07:42 PM

For a beginner, ( probably on a budget) I would recommend a cordoba C5. Personally I have a C10 which I bought used on Reverb.com and I really do like it. But I recommend the C5 because of cost and people who have them highly recommend them. I have read many good things about the Cordoba's. Not familiar with the Yamaha's. Good luck with your decision.

Don W 04-24-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YasunBey13 (Post 5706284)
What makes a good one from a not so good one? I want to get a classical Yamaha but don't know where to start? Any suggestions on what guitar to get I dont want a cheap one but not an expensive one either.

I bought a Yamaha CG142S from Sweetwater...very nice guitar for short money. Full size classical, solid top, great tone. I have played other more expensive guitars and they are no better...really great guitar for less than $300.

sms_guitar 05-14-2018 10:02 PM

YasunBey13,
Quote:

...I want to get a classical Yamaha but don't know where to start?
...in all honesty you really cannot go wrong with the Yamaha C40.

Great guitar, great value, and should take of your immediate needs for 1-2 years.

See it here: Yamaha C40

Dragonnak 05-15-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. beaumont (Post 5706294)

Ok please confirm this...I have a concert La Patrie classical guitar, but your saying that this is not a classical guitar ?

gmr 05-16-2018 06:28 AM

I have a C5 and I really like it. They are lightly built and produce a nice sound. Whatever you choose, don’t hesitate to experiment with different strings..... there are a wide variety of tensions and some differences in the nylon materials used in nylon strings.

LadysSolo 05-16-2018 06:01 PM

I just recently bought an Alhambra 10P, I am thrilled with the sound. Not terribly expensive, and I think well-made.