The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Favorite Strings on Emerald Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521981)

121 12-30-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramster (Post 5933338)
A friend of mine does this for the same reason on his jazz boxes.


Before using flat wounds on my flat top acoustics, I was using D'Addario Chrome flat wounds on a Godin 5th Avenue arch top.
I liked them so much on the arch top, I experimented with D'Addario Chromes on my flat tops. It's only been flat wounds on the flat tops ever since.

jdinco 12-30-2018 01:54 PM

You probably already explained 121, but what are the advantages of the flat wounds? Thanks....

121 12-31-2018 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdinco (Post 5933604)
You probably already explained 121, but what are the advantages of the flat wounds? Thanks....


Rather than repeat myself, I mentioned the flatwound strings I've tried in posts 10, 20 & 24 on this thread.
The latest being Dogal Nightclub V25 which I like along with the Galli AJF1047 bronze flatwounds.

byudzai 01-12-2019 12:20 AM

Elixir polyweb 13/56's are making my X30 sound like a symphony orchestra. Amazing.

kramster 01-12-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byudzai (Post 5945832)
Elixir polyweb 13/56's are making my X30 sound like a symphony orchestra. Amazing.


Maybe Ill have at them as well.

TjthePhD 01-13-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byudzai (Post 5945832)
Elixir polyweb 13/56's are making my X30 sound like a symphony orchestra. Amazing.

Does the X30 ship with 13-gauge strings? Thanks!

byudzai 01-18-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjthePhD (Post 5947308)
Does the X30 ship with 13-gauge strings? Thanks!

"Hey Alex

We ship the guitars with 0.012 gauge strings so yes the 0.013s would definitely add more
power to the overall sound :) I use 13s myself, but a large number of our customers find them too
much on the fret hand, so we ship them with 12s.

Kevin
Emerald Guitars - Sales"

TjthePhD 01-18-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byudzai (Post 5951962)
"Hey Alex

We ship the guitars with 0.012 gauge strings so yes the 0.013s would definitely add more
power to the overall sound :) I use 13s myself, but a large number of our customers find them too
much on the fret hand, so we ship them with 12s.

Kevin
Emerald Guitars - Sales"

Thanks much!

nuttyprof 03-15-2019 07:47 PM

So after using the chromes for a few weeks, I realize I really dislike them. It sounds too subdued. I'm thinking of trying the retros. I figure they will work well with the magnetic pickup.
Thoughts?

Earl49 03-15-2019 09:04 PM

Give GHS White Bronze strings a try. 52% nickel alloy and magnetically active too. I first started using them years ago, with a Bill Lawrence magnetic sound hole pickup. But I soon discovered this alloy lasted quite a while for me at far less cost than coated strings. I still use them on certain guitars.

GuitarLuva 03-15-2019 10:34 PM

I'm currently using (and loving) Elixir light/medium (12-56). I also have a set of Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze Medium that I'm dying to try. Maybe on the next days off. No matter what string I seem to try I always end up back with elixirs. The longevity just can't be beat. I'll report if I like the ernie ball. If I don't that means I didn't like them.

jdinco 03-15-2019 10:37 PM

I have the Martin Lifespan 2.0's on the X20 and it sounds very good. I didn't like the 1.0's at all, so these were a surprise.

nuttyprof 03-15-2019 10:58 PM

I have aluminum too but I don't think it will work well with the magnetic pickup unfortunately...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarLuva (Post 6008448)
I'm currently using (and loving) Elixir light/medium (12-56). I also have a set of Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze Medium that I'm dying to try. Maybe on the next days off. No matter what string I seem to try I always end up back with elixirs. The longevity just can't be beat. I'll report if I like the ernie ball. If I don't that means I didn't like them.


GuitarLuva 03-15-2019 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuttyprof (Post 6008463)
I have aluminum too but I don't think it will work well with the magnetic pickup unfortunately...

Aluminum, being non magnetic wouldn't work very well with a magnetic pickup. I'm more curious how they will sound compared to what I'm used to.

steelvibe 03-15-2019 11:18 PM

I tried the Ernie Ball AB on the Shorty- not good sounding to my ears at all. They came off very quickly.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=