The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Edwinson build under way... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518693)

mikealpine 08-17-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Wong (Post 5811612)
This rosette is very nostalgic Steve. At the very start of my journey into luthier built instruments where I was commissioning my very first Michaud, Joel had borrowed one of your rosettes for one of his earlier builds and it was the nicest rosette I had seen, I wonder if you remember me telling you that hahah

Great you see you back on the forum! Congratulations Mike on the upcoming guitar - exciting times :D

Hi Marcus, thanks for chiming in! I really loved the look of that rosette, and if you read my earlier comment on it, I have a connection with it on an emotional level as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theEdwinson (Post 5811643)
Hey, Marcus, great to hear from you! Thanks for visiting this thread. I hope everything is great with you, and you are busy composing and playing your brilliant arrangements on your Michaud guitars. Yeah, I do remember you mentioning that rosette, and I was really honored and proud that a luthier of Joel Michaud’s prodigious talents would be inspired by one of my designs. I think the Element-style rosette he made was nicer than any of mine!
I would like to mention also, why I call this the “Element” design. Some years ago, I built a Performance Florentine model guitar for another of our longtime AGF denizens, Ernie Elemento. He set me on this path, asking me to try some new asymmetric designs for rosettes, and also design a new bridge shape. He and I were both pleased with the outcome, and the Element (from Elemento) rosette and bridge series have become my most popular designs.
This is how my guitars have evolved- building custom designs for discerning clients who bring their own ideas into the build. Exactly what Mike and I are doing with this Eclipse.

Hmm...I think that Steve is being very humble, as usual, regarding Joel and the rosette. I'm thrilled with mine! And I like the back story on the "Element" naming. Very cool to be a part of something with a builder who is happy to share the evolution of his models. I'm very fortunate!

Quote:

Originally Posted by theEdwinson (Post 5811659)
Here are some photos of the guitar in its current condition. I finished up the bevels yesterday, and I am SO GLAD Mike requested solid black Ebony trim. I’ve made several dozen bevels, but have never done them with solid black Ebony, usually choosing figured woods instead. I’m very pleased with the clean elegance of it.
Bear in mind, we are also using solid black Ebony for the bridge, front headstock, and fingerboard, so this theme will carry across the whole guitar.Attachment 12043Attachment 12044Attachment 12045Attachment 12046Attachment 12047Attachment 12048
The end graft inlay is a continuation of the segmented back inlay; and we are putting a pickup in the guitar, so I positioned the copper/shell dots to accommodate the pickup jack. It will be in the center of the end graft.
In the picture of the guitar on my workbench, you may notice the coiled black tube under the guitar. I want to mention this to other luthiers. It’s a mountain bike inner tube, filled with coarse sand, and tied off at both ends. This is simply the best guitar “cradle” you can use, because it conforms perfectly to the rounded backs and tops, provides a no-skid base for the body, and is made of nitrile rubber, which does not react to any guitar finish. It costs about six bucks for the materials to make one, or even less if you are a bike person who goes through a few inner tubes a year. I call it the Blacksnake. Make one or two for your shop, and you will wonder how you ever managed without them! Here’s another shot:Attachment 12049 I should also mention, to all you guitar players- you should also make a blacksnake guitar cradle, and use it when you change strings and do routine maintenance on your guitars. Also, buy or make a neck cradle. You will thank yourself, because everything will be so much easier and more secure.

I am thrilled with the ebony bevels!! Sometimes when there's some figuring on the top and sides, then a figured bevel is in the mix, I feel the patterns kind of bump up against each other, and can be very busy, at least to my eye. I think the black bevels allow the beauty of the top and side woods to stand out on their own, yet all tie in together.Also very cool how Steve tied in the end graft, and will allow the jack to sit between the two dots. I couldn't be happier with how this is turning out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by printer2 (Post 5811739)
Now I know what I am going to do with that tube I have been saving. I knew it would be used in some way for my building but I have not figure out the best application. I wanted to make a neck cradle with lead bird shot but the stuff costs an arm and a half. Also was looking for some leather to use, I think I have a small wheel innertube somewhere.

That is a pretty crafty setup. Thanks for coming along for the ride!

Stevien 08-17-2018 03:55 PM

Mike, I agree with your decision on the plain ebony bevels. They are a good neutralizer, emphasizing the darks in the top & back, and another grain pattern going on there would be too busy indeed! Looking great!
Steve

TomB'sox 08-17-2018 03:59 PM

Holy smokes, go away for a few hours and a guitar is built! I take back my offer of a race!!! Steve is outdoing himself again here Mike. I love the connection with the rosette for sure!

mikealpine 08-17-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevien (Post 5811877)
Mike, I agree with your decision on the plain ebony bevels. They are a good neutralizer, emphasizing the darks in the top & back, and another grain pattern going on there would be too busy indeed! Looking great!
Steve

Thanks Steve, really nice to hear you feel the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 5811878)
Holy smokes, go away for a few hours and a guitar is built! I take back my offer of a race!!! Steve is outdoing himself again here Mike. I love the connection with the rosette for sure!

Lol, Tom we had a little head start. Steve likes to build up a bit of a reserve of pictures so there’s enough details to post. Otherwise builds seem to go forever. Even so, he’s been moving at a good pace. Thanks for the comment about the rosette, my friend.

Sage97 08-17-2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikealpine (Post 5811815)
...And I like the back story on the "Element" naming. Very cool to be a part of something with a builder who is happy to share the evolution of his models. I'm very fortunate!

Steve named it after that dude who sings and plays funny... ;)

Very nice guitar. Steve is a winner as a craftsman and as a human being. Mike, I’m sure you will love the guitar. You are blessed.

Joel Teel 08-19-2018 07:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 12113

Here, we find the elusive Edwinson in his natural habitat. Watch as he manipulates his environment... masterfully making his work appear like play...

Attachment 12114

OH’ CRIMEY!!! Don’t move...don’t even breath...We seem to have gotten too close, and he now realizes that we’re here...

theEdwinson 08-19-2018 08:03 AM

Heh heh... Thanks for blowing my cover, Joel. Now everyone on the AGF knows why I usually use a stunt double for my public appearances. Or is it stunted double...?

mikealpine 08-19-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Teel (Post 5813012)
Attachment 12113

Here, we find the elusive Edwinson in his natural habitat. Watch as he manipulates his environment... masterfully making his work appear like play...

Attachment 12114

OH’ CRIMEY!!! Don’t move...don’t even breath...We seem to have gotten too close, and he now realizes that we’re here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by theEdwinson (Post 5813026)
Heh heh... Thanks for blowing my cover, Joel. Now everyone on the AGF knows why I usually use a stunt double for my public appearances. Or is it stunted double...?

You two are very funny! Aren’t you supposed to out partying this weekend?

Joel Teel 08-19-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikealpine (Post 5813050)
You two are very funny! Aren’t you supposed to out partying this weekend?

Hey Mike,
Indeed...we did bring Steve up to my wife’s family farm in Tibbie, Alabama for my father-inlaw’s 85th birthday party. Not the kind of partying that might be assumed, but a really nice result...especially considering that we had the kind of rainfall that caused Steve and I to consider going into the Ark-building business for a while. I’ve never seen that kind of lightning display, ever in my life. I’m sure that there are quite a few large pine trees scattered across the 300 acre farm that became lightening rods.

Never fear, though...I’ll have the Elusive Edwinson returned to his natural habitat this evening, and back working in on your guitar in the morning.

Joel

justonwo 08-19-2018 10:25 AM

Looks great so far. I'm sure they'll be show stoppers!

Steve Kinnaird 08-19-2018 02:11 PM

Mike, Steve, congrats on the emerging guitar. It is a lovely thing for sure!
Sinker Redwood and Macassar Ebony is a match made in heaven.
And Steve is officiating over this union so well.

Steve K

s2y 08-19-2018 02:20 PM

Gorgeous! 123456

mikealpine 08-20-2018 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Teel (Post 5813081)
Hey Mike,
Indeed...we did bring Steve up to my wife’s family farm in Tibbie, Alabama for my father-inlaw’s 85th birthday party. Not the kind of partying that might be assumed, but a really nice result...especially considering that we had the kind of rainfall that caused Steve and I to consider going into the Ark-building business for a while. I’ve never seen that kind of lightning display, ever in my life. I’m sure that there are quite a few large pine trees scattered across the 300 acre farm that became lightening rods.

Never fear, though...I’ll have the Elusive Edwinson returned to his natural habitat this evening, and back working in on your guitar in the morning.

Joel

Happy birthday to your father-in-law! 85 is a nice milestone. We've had some heavy rain, but nothing like that. I was in a storm like that many years back, though, it was very impressive!

Quote:

Originally Posted by justonwo (Post 5813106)
Looks great so far. I'm sure they'll be show stoppers!

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 5813271)

Steve K

Much appreciated, Steve! Love your work as well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2y (Post 5813278)
Gorgeous! 123456

Thanks very much!

theEdwinson 08-20-2018 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage97 (Post 5812145)
Steve named it after that dude who sings and plays funny... ;)

Very nice guitar. Steve is a winner as a craftsman and as a human being. Mike, I’m sure you will love the guitar. You are blessed.

Ernie, I'll always be grateful to you for initiating the Element style to my guitars. And as for your singing and playing, I'm even more grateful to you for sending me a great playlist of your recordings. You have the most soulful voice I've ever heard. Your version of Four and Twenty (for instance) never fails to induce a tear or two. Listening to your songs from my iTunes library is a priceless gift. If your life had gone another way, I can easily imagine you touring the world with your guitars, a modern legend, melting the hearts of millions of people with your guitar and voice. You really ought to at least start a YouTube channel...

theEdwinson 08-20-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 5813271)

Steve K

Thank you Steve. Considering how splendid your guitars are, your kind words are even more appreciated. I get a lot of inspiration from your build threads. And lots of good ideas for crafty building methods too. You are a a true Master. Same goes for Ryan!