The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Best cheap pickup for cheap guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243587)

rschultz 03-04-2012 09:58 AM

Best cheap pickup for cheap guitar

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a good cheap guitar ($100-300) off of CL. The vast majority of guitars in this price range don't have a pickup. So if I did, I'd be looking to add a pickup to it. Or if I could find a good one with a pickup already in it, that would be golden.

What's the best pickup for this situation? Most bang-for-your-buck. Under saddle or under bridge doesn't really matter much - although I'd probably want an active system. I'd probably install it myself to save some money.

This guitar will go to Uganda, South Africa to a missionary team there - ABIDE. Contact me if you are willing to donate a guitar to this cause. There is a team going over this summer and would hand carry the guitar on the plane and through customs.

pshambroom 03-04-2012 10:29 AM

JJB 330. $50, sounds great, simple install.
http://www.jjb-electronics.com/prestige.html

mutantrock 03-04-2012 10:32 AM

If you need to add one, a soundhole pickup would work and you could move it from guitar to guitar if needed. Fishman, Dean Markley and Seymour Duncan have them for 30-50 bucks.
I would suggest holding out for a used guitar that already has an under saddle pickup installed in...should be easy to find as it is the standard pickup installed for so many years for inexpensive guitars. Yamaha is good option.

rschultz 03-04-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pshambroom (Post 2958033)
JJB 330. $50, sounds great, simple install.
http://www.jjb-electronics.com/prestige.html

Never seen those, thanks for the suggestion.

rschultz 03-04-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantrock (Post 2958034)
I would suggest holding out for a used guitar that already has an under saddle pickup installed in...should be easy to find as it is the standard pickup installed for so many years for inexpensive guitars. Yamaha is good option.

Yes, Yamaha IS a good option... Thanks

ljguitar 03-04-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rschultz (Post 2958005)
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a good cheap guitar ($100-300) off of CL. The vast majority of guitars in this price range don't have a pickup. So if I did, I'd be looking to add a pickup to it. Or if I could find a good one with a pickup already in it, that would be golden.

What's the best pickup for this situation? Most bang-for-your-buck. Under saddle or under bridge doesn't really matter much - although I'd probably want an active system. I'd probably install it myself to save some money.

This guitar will go to Uganda, South Africa to a missionary team there - ABIDE. Contact me if you are willing to donate a guitar to this cause. There is a team going over this summer and would hand carry the guitar on the plane and through customs.

Hi rs...

$23 shipped with 9 foot cable and volume control - CLiCK

And it can be put in other instruments in 5 seconds...

bizirk 03-05-2012 12:10 AM

JJB hands down, no question

ljguitar 03-05-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rschultz (Post 2958005)
Hi,

Hi RS...
Another inexpensive option, and near bullet proof when it comes to feedback, are the Dean Markley ProMag and/or Semor Duncan Woody pickups - both in the $40 range.

They slip into the soundhole, and plug directly into the amp.

We have included these with guitars we take/send into 3rd world countries on mission trips where we play them while there, and then leave them with nationals when we leave.

They are more expensive than the really cheap one with the volume knob I listed above, but they are also more rugged and really more applicable to situations where the pickups may need to be switched between instruments, and played through pretty inexpensive equipment.

If you go to ebay and in the search box type ''soundhole pickup'' it will give you a couple hundred listings, and both of these magnetic pickup options are listed. They only apply to steel string guitars (not nylon string).

Ebay soundhole pickup listings - CLiCK

The difference is the Dean Markley ProMag pickups have a ¼'' jack which connects to the strap pin and can use a separate cable, and the Duncan have a 14 foot cable attached.

rschultz 03-05-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 2959029)
Hi RS...
Another inexpensive option, and near bullet proof when it comes to feedback, are the Dean Markley ProMag and/or Semor Duncan Woody pickups - both in the $40 range.

They slip into the soundhole, and plug directly into the amp.

We have included these with guitars we take/send into 3rd world countries on mission trips where we play them while there, and then leave them with nationals when we leave.

They are more expensive than the really cheap one with the volume knob I listed above, but they are also more rugged and really more applicable to situations where the pickups may need to be switched between instruments, and played through pretty inexpensive equipment.

THAT is the kind of experience and info I'm looking for. Although, as a guitarist, I wouldn't want a pickup that plugs directly into the amp... I'd want it wired into the end pin, personally.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into those options if I get one without a pickup.

ljguitar 03-05-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rschultz (Post 2959030)
THAT is the kind of experience and info I'm looking for. Although, as a guitarist, I wouldn't want a pickup that plugs directly into the amp... I'd want it wired into the end pin, personally.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into those options if I get one without a pickup.

Hi rs...
I edited the post above yours to include the info that the DeanMarkley ProMag pickups have a ¼'' jack which attaches to the endpin and accepts guitar cables.

The thing we realized with $100 guitars (actually we use the $79 Rogue RA-100D from Musicians Friend - CLiCK) is they come without strap pins and cases. So I install strap pins as well (I also do this for student's guitars, and friends as needed. Strap pins are $.030 each and I get a dozen at a time).

We buy a gig bag and 10 sets of strings to include them with the guitar, along with a magnetic pickup at a total cost of about $175 (including the strings). Magnetic pickups are still the best low cost option because they require no preamp to work, and are bullet proof when it comes to feedback prevention.

Rogue actually offers a $129 Dread with Fishman electronics in it, but they really sound lame and crappy and feedback like crazy.

Hope this helps...

Poppa 03-05-2012 09:35 AM

I've used the single and dual from Ridgeview Audio on 4-5 guitars with excellent results. I had him make me a triple one I put in an old seagull I had and it worked brilliantly. He also makes (or did) a simple, cheap pre-amp that does the trick quite well. http://www.ridgeviewaudio.com/mdk12d.html

Great service, great product and a fantastic price.

rschultz 03-05-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 2959038)
Magnetic pickups are still the best low cost option because they require no preamp to work, and are bullet proof when it comes to feedback prevention.

Magnetics are not only convenient but also don't require batteries. In corresponding with the Kehn's about this I asked about 9V batteries. He said they can't get them there so they stock up when they are in the states or have teams bring some over. Not that big of a deal, but one more thing to worry about.

ac 03-05-2012 12:34 PM

JJB also has top surface mount standard pickup for $20.

Scroll down the page:

http://www.jjb-electronics.com/EXT-100.html

jomaynor 03-05-2012 01:08 PM

There are several acoustic/electric guitars in the Chicago CL that would meet your needs. Here are a couple of interesting listings.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/2882559787.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/2867011703.html