The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   parametric EQ settings for ES using PreSonus EQ3B (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93122)

kensmith 01-13-2007 03:20 PM

parametric EQ settings for ES using PreSonus EQ3B

I recently acquired a PreSonus EQ3B parametric equalizer and would like to share experience using it with ES system.

I have Taylor 314ce with the EQ3B. I have read some of the previous threads but looking for more input.

Also if any of you Equinox or K4 users can share tips...that would be great too! :D

Eever 01-14-2007 11:05 PM

I posted a similar message about my experience with the PResonus EQ 3B on the Where ES Shines thread.

I did not know much of anything about parametric EQ until I saw and read the study that dutchpicker (? my apologies if incorrect) wrote in an AGF post last August or September. I could not afford a K4.

When I got the Presonus I started out by setting the EQ to match as best I could the graph in his thread. Then I played while a friend listened and together we tweaked the sound. Did a similar thing at the first venue we played...but did not need to change anything; if a K4 sounds any better it is worth the price.

What's your experience been?
Bob

kensmith 01-15-2007 08:23 AM

thanks Eever...I will search for those threads.

My experience has been good so far. I had a false start after I had calculated all the needed dial settings based on the EQ curves from that other thread, based on the manual for the EQ3B. Then I realized that the bands on my unit are different than shown in manual (ie. my low is actually 20Hz-300Hz...not 20Hz-800Hz as shown in manual). Once I realized that the face dial (ranges for 3 bands) in the manual did not match mine...I was able to get a very natural tone through headphones and my ultrasound amp. I have used it through PA at church (yesterday) but I was not able to do any testing or evaluation in the rush to ready for our service.

I will post my settings later so others can compare. If you have your settings...that you like best...please post them.

This is a nice little unit, and I did A/B comparison with my other 7 band stompbox EQ (very noisy in comparison) and Boss unit with 4 band (bass, mid, treble, presence) also noisy in comparison and much less control.

thanks!

Eever 01-17-2007 08:21 PM

My preferred settings

Kensmith, here's how I set the Presonus for my K14CE:

Low: +4dB, 125Hz, BW at 11:30
Mid: -11dB, 950Hz, BW at 8:00
High: -3dB, 13K Hz, BW 8:00

Even dropping the mids as above, I find that in some settings I use the Mackie EQ to lower the mids even further.

Let me know what your experience is. I am delighted at finding an affordable and high quality alternative to the K4, at least for my purposes.

Bob

srmbr 02-03-2007 02:10 PM

Eever

I just received a Presonus to use with my Taylor 810 ES and my Bose L1.

I set it to your parameters and it sounds pretty good.

Thanks for a start point..

Now, in general, why is it that Taylors with ES Systems have to much mid-range??

Is this the Bob Taylor sound?

Thanks