The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   A good "home" tube combo amp?? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274379)

bozz_2006 11-30-2012 11:24 PM

A good "home" tube combo amp??

Posted this thread in the "Amplification" section, but should probably be here instead.... oops. Sorry. Anyway.

I don't play much electric but am wanting to do more. I have a huge Line-6 Flextone II XL amp with full floorboard that is just too much amp and too much hassle for me. I'm thinking of selling it (and a couple other things) and buying a smaller all-tube combo with great blues and classic rock tone which will also work for some "Green Day" type tone that is smaller and super easy to use. Any suggestions? I don't really even know where or how to start looking, so any advice/guidance is welcome!

moon 11-30-2012 11:41 PM

Checkout some youtube vids of the Blackstar HT5 and the Vox Lil' Night Train and see if you like the sound.

bozz_2006 11-30-2012 11:46 PM

Thanks! Will do.

mjz 11-30-2012 11:58 PM

Vox AC-15C1.
max

jseth 12-01-2012 12:07 AM

I played an amp at a local store... fairly small, VHT was the company name... and the amp was a 5 or 6 watt-er, but it had a "cute" name, like the Super Six or something like that...

Anyway, I was very impressed! Selectable for wattage, tube amp... form .1 w to 6 w... nice gain/volume boost arrangement... SCREAMING TONE from a whisper quiet, low watt setting... about the only thing I didn't find was any onboard reverb...

for $400? Wonderful little amplifier!

ddeand 12-01-2012 12:11 AM

I did this search earlier this year and ended up with three small, inexpensive amps in front of me. After testing them out, one stood out above the others. The three were the VHT Special 6 Combo, the Bugera V5 and the Blackheart Killer Ant. All were 6 watts or less, and all were purchased used for less than $150. Without going into detail, I settled on the VHT Special 6, because it sounded much like a blackface Fender amp (which I love). With any of these inexpensive amps, swapping out the tubes makes a huge difference in their sound.

Let me know if you'd like additional commentary about my selection, and have fun looking for an amp!

Dean

Bingoccc 12-01-2012 06:00 AM

I've got a Fender Blues Junior and a Marshall Class 5. I'm happy with both.

skyver 12-01-2012 08:14 AM

I've had a gazillion amps and I think the best of them all for practicing at home is an old 60s or 70s Fender Champ.

J Patrick 12-01-2012 08:51 AM

...i've been using my Traynor Dark Horse for about a year now....its got a whole lot going on in a small package but it is a head and speaker setup...albeit quite small...i've had a lot of small amps...even had a 5 watter made by custom builder Winfield Thomas...Champs. Princetons i have a Vox AC4C1....this little Traynor is the most versatile amp i've ever owned and it has a 2 watt setting that rocks...google it for lots of demos and reviews...

sweiss 12-01-2012 09:06 AM

I have a Fender Champion 600 5 watt tube amp that I love. They're under 200 bucks at GC right now.

bozz_2006 12-01-2012 10:42 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'll have to check them out to ought online. I should add that I would want to be able to use it for church and nursing home settings too. Are the 5 watt models up to that task. I don't want setting so big that it needs to be LOUD to get decent tone, but also something loud enough that it can fill a large room of quiet listeners and stand up to some congregational singing.

I'd put my budget at around $600.

muscmp 12-01-2012 11:00 PM

hmmmm......green day at church and nursing homes! lively people!!

here is a review by guitar player mag of some small watt amps.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/...be-amps/148843

play music!

Sage97 12-01-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozz_2006 (Post 3262009)
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'll have to check them out to ought online. I should add that I would want to be able to use it for church and nursing home settings too. Are the 5 watt models up to that task. I don't want setting so big that it needs to be LOUD to get decent tone, but also something loud enough that it can fill a large room of quiet listeners and stand up to some congregational singing.

I'd put my budget at around $600.

The Cornford Harlequin, the Cornford Carrera and the Carr Mercury would fit this bill very nicely. However, they cost a bit more.

Paikon 12-02-2012 01:07 AM

egnater tweaker 15 watts 650$ and very versatile
video 2 of 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yo7-JxVY8s

for less watts

the cornford is top of my list but expensive
the vox lil nighttrain and Blackstar worth checking out

check also Laney amps ,very good tone and CHEAP