The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   AGF Classifieds - Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   For Sale Or Trade: 2004 D. LaPlante 000-28NY Brazilian SOLD PENDING FUNDS (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533657)

okeem22 01-05-2019 10:33 AM

2004 D. LaPlante 000-28NY Brazilian SOLD PENDING FUNDS

6 Attachment(s)
SOLD

Up for sale is a truly exceptional guitar, built by David to spec for his personal use. In 1962 Martin made 2 of these and no others were ever made. The key points on these NY guitars were that the nut and saddle spacing were a bit wider (1-13/16” and 2- 5/16” ) and they had 1/4” vs. 5/16” tapered top bracing.
A great playing and sounding instrument, in the top few I have ever played.
Here’s what David had to say when, after quite a few years he decided to sell it:

“It's a 12 fret 000 I built in 2004 from wood and parts that I got from Mike Longworth. Brazilian rosewood. Martin 000 Sitka spruce top with 1/4" (X) bracing long scale (25.4") and 1 7/8" (actually is 1- 13/16” ) neck. The guitar is built to proper Martin specs, rather a 000-28NY. Incidentally, the neck is a proper steel string (T-rod) with arched board etc. , as*I said to Martin spec. Finish is by Dale Bartholomew, long time Martin employee (now retired). It's in excellent plus shape…it's ready to go"! It has a full-profile traditional 28-style neck. I've commented in the past this is one of the best sounding guitars I've played. Subjective, but I highly recommend it." Note the almost-impossible-to-find
tuners.

Sitka over Brazilian rosewood,he used old Martin bracing stock and a pre-1967 neck blank. Very nicely done, fit and finish fantastic, in great condition.
It is a 2004 and other than the things detailed below is very,very clean.
There is a dent/boink on the front of the headstock, near the center. Just a couple very small indentations on the soundboard, south of the sound hole. Not noticeable, needs the typical lighting and angle to see them.
Also some fretwear, typical B and E string first 2 or 3 frets. Overall some minimal fretwear, typical for a well played 15 year old guitar. Nothing requires any attention now, though I think a good luthier tending to the frets would be beneficial. I believe with these minor issues, and what one is getting, this guitar is priced accordingly and a really good value.
No repairs and needs nothing. Once seen, held and heard, there is simply nothing not to love about this one. Complete satisfaction or return, no questions asked.

Bottom line.......net to me.....
$******

Howlin Bob 01-05-2019 12:25 PM

Looks like a beauty, Warren.

Highly recommended seller here, folks. Warren is honest and accurate in all things...and he's local, so we get together at times to play and talk music and luthiers.

This appears to be a great value.

You can't go wrong with a luthier-made Brazilian at 3k! Wow.

Bob

Guitguy1 01-05-2019 12:36 PM

Email

Email sent Warren.

TRose 01-05-2019 01:13 PM

Beautiful guitar. I’d love to hear it.
GLWS!

jwalker99 01-05-2019 01:25 PM

PM Sent- thank you.

okeem22 01-06-2019 10:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks all so much for your comments.
Some serious interest, but......here still.

dbintegrity 01-20-2019 08:04 AM

Suprised this one is still here ... I didn’t realize David’s guitars flew that far below the radar.
Warren is a very nice guy to deal with too.

nwapoolguy 01-20-2019 08:54 AM

I agree, amazed this one is still here. A hand made Brazilian for $3k? The builder is world renowned for restoring CF Martin guitars.

Otis11 01-20-2019 10:03 AM

Wowie. That sure is tempting at that price point.

okeem22 01-20-2019 07:42 PM

Thanks all for your nice input. I am too surprised.
Top quality in every department.

MCDEMO1 01-20-2019 09:25 PM

I can't believe it is still here. If you were on the East Coast or I was West, I'd of bought it by now. Great looking guitar ! No winter buying or selling for me when shipping is involved.

canerod 01-21-2019 07:13 AM

A PM has been sent.

okeem22 01-31-2019 11:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Fine guitar has had some decent trade offers yet still available.

Guitars44me 01-31-2019 11:30 AM

Mighty tempting...

Hey Warren

What does T-rod mean? Is it an adjustable truss rod, or the old style Ebony or steel non adjustable?

Did I miss the neck shape/carve? And what does it weigh, please.

Best on this and have FUN

Paul

okeem22 01-31-2019 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Paul for your post. The T-rod and ebony rod were used before they came up with the idea of the adjustable truss rod. Pic attached of a cross section of the T-rod. I know the ebony were used during the war when raw materials were rationed.

I do not know the exact weight, I would say about 4 lbs.maybe a touch over.
It feels fairly light, definitely not a heavy build.

The necks on these New Yorkers are not super slim ala Taylor, but certainly not Gibson baseball bat either. I would say a “C” shape on the slimmer side of medium. Is that vague enough for you??!!! It is slim enough imho that the
1- 13/16” width does not feel wide to me.

Ok, thanks.