The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sanding Gibson J45 neck (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561405)

richard1 10-21-2019 11:40 AM

Sanding Gibson J45 neck

I can't remember whether it was here or on the Gibson forum that I read about this, but I am thinking of sanding the neck to arrive at a satin type finish.
I recall that the guy that described the process, had said that he came across a layer of brown paint under the finish which he had to scrape off in order to expose the wood beneath.
Could this be right? It's not that I doubt the guys honesty, but really? Do Gibson actually use brown paint beneath the finish on the neck?
I suppose it's not that strange when you think about it. The sunburst finish is painted on after all. But I'm not sure I want the aggravation of removing paint from the neck.
Has anyone here any experience of doing this modification?

Guest 33123 10-21-2019 11:45 AM

If you absolutely must do this put away the sandpaper and tools etc. and just buff lightly with 0000 steel wool. It will turn satin quickly and is reversible if you don't overdo it.

charles Tauber 10-21-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1 (Post 6191902)
...sanding the neck to arrive at a satin type finish.

Be clear about what result you are trying to achieve. Do you want to remove the finish to expose bare wood? (From your description of it, that is what the person who removed "paint" did.) Do you want to retain the finish - and any color - by dulling the finish to a satin sheen?

If you want a satin sheen, but don't want the finish removed, light rubbing with 0000 steel wool is one way to accomplish that. Another is to rub with a medium coarseness rubbing compound on a paper towel or clean rag.

If you remove the finish from the neck, you will significantly devalue the resale value of the instrument, if that matters to you.

ChrisE 10-21-2019 03:37 PM

Do what they said with the steel wool. Or you can use a Scotch Brite pad. The white ones are very fine but the grey is more coarse. It's probably safer to start with the white.

I do this a couple of times a year with my D-18 and my Taylor 314ce. They were both satin necks when I got them, but after playing for a while, they get all shiny. Rough them up a little with the steel wool or Scotch Brite and if you don't like it, don't worry--it will gloss up again from playing.

mercy 10-21-2019 06:53 PM

I cant imagine your doing that to a great guitar like you have.

rokdog49 10-21-2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercy (Post 6192301)
I cant imagine your doing that to a great guitar like you have.

Me either, but...to each his own.

jed1894 10-21-2019 08:19 PM

I had to do this with my son’s Les Paul. He has moist hands which made playing very hard. I used the green scotch guard and magic eraser. I taped off each end so I would a nice leading edge. The magic eraser will work along but it takes longer.

Jed

tippy5 10-21-2019 11:54 PM

If you aren't worried about resale go for the 0000 steel wool. Painter's Tape off a V or C line at the top. Tape around the heel. Gibson Lacquer is sticky. I say go for it but don't take all of the factory coats off down to the wood. let us know how it comes out. There are two Gibson forums check into them.

richard1 10-22-2019 03:44 AM

OK guys thanks for all the info.
I was thinking of going to bare wood and then applying some kind of wax to protect the wood, but on second thoughts, I'll probably go the less drastic route and just take off the sticky surface with either Scotchbrite or a fine steel wool. I'll try that first.
Resale value does not concern me. This is a guitar I will not be parting with. I just want an easier playing neck.

rmp 10-22-2019 05:51 AM

If this is a newer one, once the finish cures, it wont always be sticky like it is when the finish is still soft.

Mandobart 10-22-2019 06:16 AM

In bluegrass we call it a "speed neck." All orchestral stringed instruments have bare unfinished necks. I grew up playing violin so I'm used to and prefer a bare wood feel. Glossy finish gets sticky. I've speed necked all my "keeper" instruments, and my custom instruments I've ordered bare from the builder.

As said the 0000 steel wood will de-gloss without stripping any color/stain. Bare necks can stand a very light coat of tung or linseed oil applied then buffed out every few years.

rokdog49 10-22-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandobart (Post 6192539)
In bluegrass we call it a "speed neck." All orchestral stringed instruments have bare unfinished necks. I grew up playing violin so I'm used to and prefer a bare wood feel. Glossy finish gets sticky. I've speed necked all my "keeper" instruments, and my custom instruments I've ordered bare from the builder.

As said the 0000 steel wood will de-gloss without stripping any color/stain. Bare necks can stand a very light coat of tung or linseed oil applied then buffed out every few years.

A glossy finished neck can be cleaned quite easily. Naphtha works very well and then if necessary, a tried and true product like GHS Guitar Gloss will add slickness without affecting the finish.
I used to think I wouldn’t like a glossy neck for the “stickiness” issue.
I have since found that it hasn’t been an issue at all.

hat 10-22-2019 07:05 AM

I always try to follow the 'less is more' philosophy when working on anything. the least I can do to get it done, the better it seems to work out. In that vein, I have a piece of old rough flannel shirt that I use as a wipe for the neck. When I change strings, I'll take that flannel, and vigorously rub the back of the neck. It helps to clean the neck, and also helps in adding 'slip' tot he finish.

51 Relic 10-22-2019 03:59 PM

Sanding Gibson J45 neck

Sorry , but why do all this to a lovely guitar . That's just my view

russchapman 10-22-2019 04:04 PM

I did it to my Collings- 600 grit and start rubbing. Feels so much better (that's what Matte said).

You don't have to sand down to the wood, btw. Just hit it until it's no longer glossy.