The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Great deal on digital recorder. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336560)

DCannon 04-14-2014 10:10 PM

Excellent recording, Whitney! Great job on all levels...guitar, vocal, and recording clarity. Where did you have the DR-05 placed?

You're right. This is a great little recorder.

DC

Rmz76 04-14-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wborisenok (Post 3912145)
FINALLY had an opportunity to play with my new toy. Man, am I ever impressed. This was easily the best $39 I've spent in a while. I posted my cover over in Show and Tell, but I'll post it up here too for reference. As mentioned in the other thread, I haven't quite nailed down where to put it for best results while singing and playing at the same time. That'll come with trial and error. Stoked that I bought this, it's going to get a ton of use from me.

Here's my cover of "Skin" by Chris Trapper:

https://soundcloud.com/whitneyborise...-chris-trapper

Beautiful... No words.

joeguam 04-14-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCannon (Post 3912180)
Excellent recording, Whitney! Great job on all levels...guitar, vocal, and recording clarity. Where did you have the DR-05 placed?

DC

I'm interested too, great recording!
Would you mind taking a picture of your placement and positioning?

Barry C. 04-15-2014 03:51 AM

After work I will stop at GC and check this out.

wborisenok 04-15-2014 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCannon (Post 3912180)

DC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmz76 (Post 3912207)
Beautiful... No words.

Thank you both! I felt my playing was a tiny bit sloppier than I'd hoped as the song is capoed at 8 and I was playing my GS Mini. It gets tight up there. :lol: I recorded this on my living room couch. It was done in one take with no edits or effects applied to the track. The only thing I did do was trim the beginning and the end for a clean start/finish.

I wanted to be sure I had some flexibility with placement, so I bought one of these:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's very clearly an $11 tripod; not the best quality but it was here in 2 days via Prime and it gets the job done. If you go this route, you'll notice that there's a spring triggered "button" on the top of the base next to the screw. I wasn't sure of it's purpose and after further investigation it didn't seem to really have one, but when I screwed the DR-05 on the tripod for the first time this button scuffed up the back of it in a perfect circle. I was annoyed by this, so I got a pair of pliers and snipped it off.

All that said, I had the tripod raised to about 34". It was between 1-1.5 feet away from me. I was sitting, so I had it almost directly at the height between my soundhole and my mouth. With the monitoring feature, I was able to play around with the angle at which the recorder was pointing. I can post a pic next time I sit down to record...which will likely be soon because this thing is FUN.

Lost Cause 04-15-2014 06:17 AM

I just received mine yesterday (was on back order). I have not been able to mess with it yet, but I am very excited. I know it will be a great tool for me. I might need to find a tripod like that. I think I saw one last weekend at a rummage sale. Dang.

Goat Mick 04-15-2014 06:22 AM

Mine was delivered yesterday. Can't wait to try it out!!!

pszy22 04-15-2014 07:02 AM

I personally think the sound quality of this unit is amazing, especially considering the $39 price. It couldn't be simpler to use. Thanks to the OP for bringing this to our collective attention.

DavidE 04-15-2014 09:33 AM

Went to order one and the GC price is now $79.99. Cheesy if the $59.99 was a price reduction rather than a sale.

DCannon 04-15-2014 11:43 AM

If you already have a regular camera tripod, you can use that since the DR-05 has a standard 1/4" tripod mount. Or, if you're sitting, you can simply place it on a table and use books or something to get it at the right height, or add a shim to angle it upward. The recording I posted earlier in this thread was done at my computer desk with the DR-05 lying flat with the mics facing me about 1.5' away. Height was about even with the guitar's sound hole, so no need for a tripod. On a side-note, I'm a professional photographer, so no problem finding a tripod if needed!

If you've entered this discussion without reading through the first few pages, here's my first recording with the DR-05. Sorry about the re-post for those who have already heard it. :) Love the clarity of this recorder.
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/moq8...Hero_DR-05.mp3

DavidE.... if you have a local GC, it won't hurt to call and ask if they'll give you the $59.99 price. The GC here is great about making concessions and helping people out. Worth a try. If not, Tascam is still offering a $20 mail-in rebate on DR-05s purchased through 4/30/14. Rebate must be postmarked by 5/5/14.

I'd like to hear other recordings, so I hope more new DR-05 owners will post some sound clips.

DC

Paully 04-15-2014 11:56 AM

Dr 05

Check out the Tascam website there's an additional $20.00 rebate on the DR 05 till the end of April. Love mine, great bang for the buck.

wborisenok 04-15-2014 04:43 PM

Here I am, again, ready to convey my love for this little thing. Seriously, though...$39.99. This is the best recording investment I've ever made. Thanks for all of the listens on my recording, too!

Blueser100 04-15-2014 08:41 PM

Great deal on digital recorder.

Anybody find a cheap soft case for the DR-05?

wborisenok 04-15-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueser100 (Post 3913441)
Anybody find a cheap soft case for the DR-05?

I was literally just heading here to ask that. I ended up finding a bundle kit that Tascam offers for handheld recorders. Search Amazon for "Tascam kit" and it should be the one priced at $34.99. Comes with a case, a power adapter, a handle of some sort, and a windscreen. It doesn't specify the model so I'm assuming it's a universal kit for all handheld models. I'll have it by Thursday and will report back.

I also stumbled across one for $9.95 plus shipping from a company out of the UK. Didn't love it thought because it was just a sleeve. It didn't close at the top. Plus the bundle is a bargain; the case and windscreen alone are worth it. Apparently windscreens are $20-30. Who knew?

Barry C. 04-15-2014 09:09 PM

I picked one up today no time to play with it but looks great for the price.