The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I’ll bet some of you can help me with my upcoming road trip (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568882)

island texan 01-10-2020 06:35 PM

I’ll bet some of you can help me with my upcoming road trip

We’re planning a trip that will encompass Memphis, Nashville, Biloxi or Mobile then New Orleans (which we already know well). Stopovers will be likely in Mussel Shoals and at John Hurt’s house in Mississippi. We’re not on a tight schedule but are planning on about a week or so on the road. We’ll be starting from Galveston. We’re open to any experiences you’ve had that are worth recommending. Besides the music immersion part, we’re schlepping along golf clubs. So if you know of a cool course in those parts, throw that in too. Our dates are open, but we’ll probably do this in April.

Deliberate1 01-10-2020 08:13 PM

Nice trip which I will do as well one day.
And when I do, Bentonia, Ms will be high on the list: http://msbluestrail.org/blues-trail-...lue-front-cafe
Have a great time, and share a trip report, if you have a mind to.
David

Kitkatjoe 01-10-2020 10:35 PM

Alabama

Robert Trent Jones golf trail all over the state.⛳

The Growler 01-10-2020 11:09 PM

That's a lot of driving for one week. Just a suggestion, but you could see more if you drove less and skipped Nashville. It's a long drive between there and say Memphis. I've got nothing against Nashville, I really like it with the guitar shops and music options, but I've done that trip a few times. Just a thought.

Murphy Slaw 01-11-2020 05:59 AM

This might be fun...

MrDB 01-11-2020 08:27 AM

World BBQ championships in Memphis May 13-16

Beale St music festival May 1-3

Not April but just a thought

TRose 01-11-2020 09:58 AM

Muscle Shoals is part of the Quad Cities area- Muscle Shoals, Sheffield,Tuscumbia and Florence. Turtle Point Yacht and Country Club is located just out side of Florence. It is Robert Trent Jones Sr.’s first course design in the state. It’s a very good course. Though it’s a private club they have reciprocal agreements with many clubs and are open to such. There is a decent Marriott for lodging in Florence.
Muscle Shoals has a few RTJ Trail courses.
Hope that helps.
Best,
Tom

island texan 01-11-2020 01:54 PM

I'm a member at a Robert Trent Jones course which is part of that Troon Prive club. (And it looks like we need to either allow far more time or cut out Nashville.)

island texan 01-12-2020 05:58 PM

Okay. The outcome of our domestic discussion is, heck yes we're going to Nashville. So insights about what to do and see there are welcome.

RussL30 01-12-2020 06:37 PM

If you’re spending any time in the Mississippi Delta, I highly recommend the BB King museum in Indianola, MS.

Big Band Guitar 01-12-2020 06:52 PM

If you haven't already, make a stop at your AAA office for maps and tour books.
The cost of a membership is more than made up in information and discounts.

A trip like your taking should be a minimum of 3 weeks, 5 would be better.

Ruppster 01-12-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by island texan (Post 6261711)
We’re planning a trip that will encompass Memphis, Nashville, Biloxi or Mobile then New Orleans (which we already know well). Stopovers will be likely in Mussel Shoals and at John Hurt’s house in Mississippi. We’re not on a tight schedule but are planning on about a week or so on the road. We’ll be starting from Galveston. We’re open to any experiences you’ve had that are worth recommending. Besides the music immersion part, we’re schlepping along golf clubs. So if you know of a cool course in those parts, throw that in too. Our dates are open, but we’ll probably do this in April.

Check out Mossy Oak Golf Course. It's in West Point, Mississippi, home of Howling Wolf. The course was designed by the same guy who built the course for the Olympics in Brazil, Gil Harris. It's a links style course that is first class. It's located adjacent Old Waverly Golf Club, which hosted the 1999 U.S. Women's Open and last summer hosted the U.S. Women's Amateur.

Mossy Oak is public, Old Waverly is private. Green fees aren't cheap, about $125-$140 with a cart. There are also nice cottages you can stay at. If you want to play Old Waverly I can get you on.

West Point is about 20 minutes from Starkville, home to Mississippi State University. MSU is home to the U.S. Grant Presidential Library, which is worth a look. I can help you with that as well.

Also in Mississippi is the B.B. King museum in Indianola and the Grammy Museum in Cleveland, both in the Mississippi Delta and worth a look.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can be of further assistance.

TRose 01-12-2020 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruppster (Post 6263486)
Check out Mossy Oak Golf Course. It's in West Point, Mississippi, home of Howling Wolf. The course was designed by the same guy who built the course for the Olympics in Brazil, Gil Harris. It's a links style course that is first class. It's located adjacent Old Waverly Golf Club, which hosted the 1999 U.S. Women's Open and last summer hosted the U.S. Women's Amateur.

Mossy Oak is public, Old Waverly is private. Green fees aren't cheap, about $125-$140 with a cart. There are also nice cottages you can stay at. If you want to play Old Waverly I can get you on.

West Point is about 20 minutes from Starkville, home to Mississippi State University. MSU is home to the U.S. Grant Presidential Library, which is worth a look. I can help you with that as well.

Also in Mississippi is the B.B. King museum in Indianola and the Grammy Museum in Cleveland, both in the Mississippi Delta and worth a look.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Ruppster speaks the truth. Old Waverly is a great course and worth the effort to play it.

Ruppster, what’s the name of the local, downtown West Point establishment that has good food and ( on weekends maybe?) live music?

West Point is 1hr 20 min west of Tuscaloosa.
Just south of Nashville in Franklin are The Legends Golf Courses. They are owned by Vanderbilt University and would be worth the effort to play as well.

Ruppster 01-12-2020 08:26 PM

Anthony’s!

MikeBmusic 01-13-2020 08:25 AM

Nashville:
Musicians Hall of Fame/Grammy Museum - as I'm not a country music fan, I found this place much better than the CMHoF.
The Johnny Cash Museum was small, but worth a visit.
Broadway - if you haven't been to Nashville before, the 4-5 block stretch of Broadway from the river west is full of honky-tonks/bars with music going most afternoons and evenings. Most have no cover charge, and if the weather is warm, the windows and doors will be open so you can hear the music before going in. Find a place with music to your taste, go in and have a drink. Move on to the next spot, do the same. Besides Jon Anderson (the band Yes) and his band at the old Ryman Theater, I heard rockabilly, singer-songwriter originals, acoustic guitar duo covers, classic rock covers and a Grateful Dead tribute band (skipped the pure country places!) in 3 nights there last year.

Memphis:
The National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel (site of Martin Luther King Jr's assassination) is worth 2-3 hours of your time. Very moving place.
Beale Street was a little quiet one of the nights we were there, went to BB King's Blues Club (had to wait for a table), the band, doing blues-sounding cover tunes, was excellent, stayed for 2 full sets.