The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   What is the last song you learned? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65126)

anthonyc007 07-05-2005 09:35 PM

What is the last song you learned?

What is the last song you learned?

I'll give you mine:

"The Blower's Daughter" - Damien Rice

It is featured in the movie "Closer". The wife really liked it and asked if I could learn it. Voila! Instant inspiration!

Jim Tozier 07-05-2005 09:47 PM

Other than traditional Celtic tunes, I generally don't have much time to learn new songs these days. I spend most of my time working on original material.

However, I recently listened to a CD called "A Cut Above," by former flatpicking champ Allen Shadd . . . and there's a song he wrote on there called "Sister's Waltz." It's such a pretty tune that I had to learn it.

'Course, I learned it in DADGAD. ;)

815C 07-05-2005 09:57 PM

I recently arranged a jazz chord solo for MOONLIGHT IN VERMONT in the song's original key of Eb. Once I had it arranged, it took me about a week to memorize it and play it without blanking out in the middle of the tune - forgetting the next chord voicing. Just finished polishing it last week and now its ready for the next solo guitar gig.

SteveS 07-05-2005 09:59 PM

I learn one or two new song every month for my worship team.

Other than that, and I don't know if it counts because I am not done yet, but I'm working on Castle's Call by Phill Keaggy. I have a few more sections I need to memorize.

wthurman 07-05-2005 10:07 PM

"As Long As It Lasts" by, well, me.

;)

Wade

SNaP2it 07-05-2005 10:22 PM

You guys are a total inspiration. I don't yet aspire to the level of musicianship required for that stuff. I just picked out Shawn Colvin's "Shotgun Down the Avalanche" because my wife just started listening to her (I got her hooked).

jim_n_virginia 07-05-2005 10:43 PM

I have been playing with a really talented fiddle player. Man this guy knows every fiddle tune there ever was. I have been learning the counter parts to a lot of songs he plays. I just bought the Fiddler's Fake Book of of eBay as per his suggestion and it will take me the rest of my life to learn half of them.

So I guess the last song I learned is "Saint Ann's Reel" in the traditional way and then a few different variations that I learned myself!

Guyute 07-05-2005 11:42 PM

Last new one I learned was Trouble by Ray LaMontagne. The last one I re-learned was Dancing Nancies - DMB.

Gotta keep the girls happy ;)

Allen Shadd 07-05-2005 11:43 PM

The last song that I 'learned' as in spending any time on was my arrangement of Somewhere Over The Rainbow that I used a few years ago in some contests. It started out as a chordy intro in G and evolved into a swing version in C.

Jim, you gotta watch that Shadd guy you mentioned. I know that guy, he's a flatpicking hack and the only way he won any contest was to pay off the right judge! :roll:
________
Fantasydesirex

harlon 07-05-2005 11:48 PM

The Man with the Green Thumb" (Tommy Emmanuel). Not quite performance level, but getting there. The last song I learned to performance level was "True" by Martin Taylor. That's a beauty, guys. It's a jazz tune, but halfway through I jump to a quick Travis picking feel, then slow it back down at the end. Fun song! Nice thread going here.

Bluepoet 07-06-2005 02:29 AM

Last song I learned was "Far From Me", by John Prine. Lately, I've been going through all the music books and sheet music I have--I've been finding many songs that I can now play, where last time I could not...it's kinda exciting to discover this, for me...still some chords that have me stymied, like that durn Eb shape--you know, the four-string one that looks like a D, one fret up, but has bass note on first fret!! Quite a stretch...but, at least I can play that chord on a Barre up the neck, now, and I'm working on the five-string version (sounds fuller, but what a workout for my pinkie!!)...:up:

FourOneFour 07-06-2005 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harlon
The Man with the Green Thumb" (Tommy Emmanuel).

:eek: :eek: We're not worthy. :D

Fngrstyl 07-06-2005 04:58 AM

"Darcys Guitar" Pete Huttlinger

Pigfarm 07-06-2005 05:49 AM

I just learned a little diddy you guys might have heard about... Mary Had A Little Lamb. :lol:

It's a pretty hot lick.

No, I just learned to play Margarittaville, Let Her Cry, and Wish You Were Here.

Not bad for a month, eh?

Andromeda 07-06-2005 06:21 AM

I recently wrote my daughter a beautiful song called "Windflower" and at the same time I have been learning Gordon Lightfoot's "Steel Rail Blues". Now I'm learning his song "Race Among the Ruins." I seem to be in a Gordon Lightfoot mood.