The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   SA220 with Mixer Set-up (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212336)

Kids Play Free 03-31-2011 12:46 AM

SA220 with Mixer Set-up

Hello, New first time poster here.

Long time player but new to running my own live sound. Just got a Fishman SA-220, been wanting to get a nice rig to be able to do small parties, events etc....many positive reviews on this forum helped make that decision.

I have a event soon (fund-raiser at a brew-pub style restaurant) with 2 other guys, both just acoustics and vocals. Got a Yamaha mixer (8 channel) to accomplish this with our multiple (6) inputs thinking it would be fairly simple and still sound good thru the Fishman.

So.....taking everything and test driving the new gear tonight I have found that the SA 220 sounds great, and was simple to set-up when I just put my guitar into channel 1 and the vocal mic into 2. No problems.

However, tried putting the guitar and mic through the mixer just to start getting used to it before I try it for real with the other guys and several inputs....and no luck with any sound.

Read and re-read the mixer manual, still couldn't get any sound to the SA220. I connected the mixer via the stereo output jacks (2) to the Solo-amp into channel 1. Checked mute button off etc....tried the Solo amp channel 2, tried the Aux input on the back of the solo amp. Tried the monitor outputs on the mixer. Slowly increased gain levels, gain and master volume on the SA-220 etc. A little bit puzzled, and thought someone on this forum may have a recommendation.

Does anyone use a SoloAmp with a mixer and am I missing something simple? Again, the guitar and amp worked fine directly to the SoloAmp: Taylor 710 with Fishman ellipse matrix blend and a Electrovoice nd767 dynamic mic.

The sales rep at GC where I bought the mixer seemed pretty knowledgeable and hooked me up with the cables he said I would need. Hopefully not a defective mixer or something.....I'm hoping it is just operator error at this point.

Thanks for any help,

Steve

Omanarama 03-31-2011 03:43 AM

What is the model number of your Yamaha? If I can download the manual I can probably give you detailed hook up instructions. I use a Mackie ProFX8 with mine all the time. I run from the mixer's L / R main outs to Channel 1 and 2 on the front of the amp. My mixer has both XLR and TRS main out's. I generally hook it up using XLR cables, but the TRS cables work, too.

BoB/335 03-31-2011 04:38 AM

I would bring it back to GC and ask them to show you how to hook it up to their display model of the SoloAmp. You would see first hand how to hook it up and be checking your board out at the same time.

I would love to hear a report of how this works out for a "fundraiser at a brew pub style restaurant".

Kids Play Free 03-31-2011 06:40 AM

Thanks for the quick replies....

The Yamaha model # is MG82cx.....I was actually debating between the Mackie ProFx8 and this Yamaha....seemed similar and the Yamaha was a little easier on the budget. But I could be tempted to switch.

Good idea on bringing the mixer back to GC to do a demo, I may do that later today after I fiddle with it some more.

Yes, this "fundraiser" sounds interesting doesn't it. They have a tranisiton area between the bar and the restaurant to play at. We will be following a jazz quartet who will go early. I am sure we will have a great time.....friendly crowd and the more beer they drink, the better we sound right?

Thanks again guys

Points East 03-31-2011 06:47 AM

Don't know if this will help but on the MG mixers you need to select either ST (stereo) or the group for each channel you want to go out. Should be a red button near each fader.

tdrake 03-31-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Points East (Post 2566489)
Don't know if this will help but on the MG mixers you need to select either ST (stereo) or the group for each channel you want to go out. Should be a red button near each fader.

Yip, I have the same mixer (and sometimes use it with my SoloAmp...and most often at fundraisers...hey, parallel life...?) and all those switches and options certainly make it confusing to use at first. ...even after using it for a year or two I'll still occasionally find myself scratching my head.

Taking it back to GC makes good sense, but also try just hooking it up to some other random source (home stereo, guitar amp, whatever) to make sure you're getting a signal out.

Points East 03-31-2011 07:53 AM

My bad. The 82cx doesn't have the stereo or group selection. This should be fairly straightforward. Assuming you connect your guitars to the Line input and your mics to the mic input you need to set the input gain (they have a dark square mark on the dial that should put you in the ballpark), set the channel level (at the bottom of each channel, there's an arrow on the dial here) and set the stereo output (lower right corner). You should have signal out of the stereo connections that can go to your sa220 channel 1 and channel 2. Alternatively, you can plug the 82cx stereo out into the ch 1 and ch 2 returns.

If this doesn't work I would take it back to GC and have them set it up and show you.

Kids Play Free 03-31-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Points East (Post 2566561)
My bad. The 82cx doesn't have the stereo or group selection. This should be fairly straightforward. Assuming you connect your guitars to the Line input and your mics to the mic input you need to set the input gain (they have a dark square mark on the dial that should put you in the ballpark), set the channel level (at the bottom of each channel, there's an arrow on the dial here) and set the stereo output (lower right corner). You should have signal out of the stereo connections that can go to your sa220 channel 1 and channel 2. Alternatively, you can plug the 82cx stereo out into the ch 1 and ch 2 returns.

If this doesn't work I would take it back to GC and have them set it up and show you.

Maybe this is the problem: The cable I am using to connect the mixer to the Fishman is a 2 to 1 jack set-up..(Not sure if I am using correct terminology). Two jacks (L,R...black and red) for the mixer boards stereo output jacks. the other end the cables are merged into 1 line jack, which I initially connected to the Solo-amp line 1. If I need a new cable to go into both Channel's 1 and 2 on the Soloamp then that should be easy.

Steve

Points East 03-31-2011 08:47 AM

Steve,

That might be the problem. The sa220 inputs are mono, not stereo, although I would expect to hear something.

I'd definitely try it with two cables.

Keith

MikeTX 03-31-2011 08:49 AM

... JUST my thought and approach, but -I- would PAN all instruments 100% left and vocals 100% right, then send the LEFT Main Out XLR into SA Channel 1 and RIGHT Main Out XLR into SA Channel 2 - SEPARATE XLR cables. That way you can use the EQ & Feedback controls on the SoloAmp. The GREAT sound and tone that the SoloAmp provides for acoustic guitar is significant, I would want to take advantage of that. Yes, mixers have EQ and maybe FX too, but they are not as special for acoustic as the Fishman is.

Best luck - Mike

Kids Play Free 03-31-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Points East (Post 2566642)
Steve,

That might be the problem. The sa220 inputs are mono, not stereo, although I would expect to hear something.

I'd definitely try it with two cables.

Keith

Well, Partial Success and yes we are on the right track.....I have managed to get sound from the mixer to the Soloamp but as you said, inputs are mono, and using only 1 channel I am therefore restricted to Mono with my current cables.

So I believe that 2 cords going to the 2 channels on the Soloamp is the next trick..guess the guy who set me up at GC over looked that, but no big deal, sounds like an easy fix.

BTW: Started doing this late at night while trying to not wake up the rest of the house probably had something to do with my problem:)

Thanks for the help

Steve

Kids Play Free 03-31-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeTX (Post 2566645)
... JUST my thought and approach, but -I- would PAN all instruments 100% left and vocals 100% right, then send the LEFT Main Out XLR into SA Channel 1 and RIGHT Main Out XLR into SA Channel 2 - SEPARATE XLR cables. That way you can use the EQ & Feedback controls on the SoloAmp. The GREAT sound and tone that the SoloAmp provides for acoustic guitar is significant, I would want to take advantage of that. Yes, mixers have EQ and maybe FX too, but they are not as special for acoustic as the Fishman is.

Best luck - Mike

Mike, thanks for the advice, and once I get the proper cables will definitely try this approach. The functions and workings of the board are starting to get a little clearer for me .....
I agree, the Fishman sounds so nice on it's own and it's so simple, I am really happy I got it. Obviously feel like I am in a little over my head with trying to arrange this trio combo and get it to sound OK thus the need for the mixer....The restaurant we are doing this at has no house PA, and it will be somewhat loud so we do need a little amplification.

I hope to get comfortable with this thing soon, I just want to start playing!:)

Very glad I chimed in on this forum, a wealth of info and experience.

LDBecker 03-31-2011 09:58 AM

This is such a helpful place! Mixer suggestions?

Just wanted to chime in, too... I also have a Fishman Solo 220 and use it with my Taylor NS24ce and a vocal mic (in church), but can easily easily forsee needing it to include other players and singers.

I JUST got a Yamaha MG166CX - 16 channels for larger portable PA (Mackie SRM450's and a Mackie 1801 sub - woof!), and I agree about the confusing setup on the Yamaha mixers. I GET that you have to select a group or "stereo" for each channel, but it sure threw me for a minute. I like the built-in compressor on the first 6 vocal channels.

I was REALLY confused by trying to get signal to show on the meters. If you have a PFL button pressed on a channel that has no signal, it will show nothing on the meter. Another confusion I had with the Yamaha was that, unlike some mixers I've used (all Mackie), there isn't a signal light on each channel. You can't tell what mic is active. What's up with that?

Anyway... the mixer sounds good. Like the compressors on the channels - wish there were signal lights on each channel. HARD to sort out what mic is doing what when you're in a live, fluid situation. The price was really good on the mixer, though (on sale at GC, with an additional email $20 coupon)... Looking for other mixer options in the 12-16 channel range. Anything else out there with compressors on the mic channels?

Thanks,

Larry

El Conquistador 03-31-2011 10:54 AM

I have always had excellent response and service from Fishman when I have had questions about my SA220. They love to talk about their products.

Here is the number: 978-988-9199. A receptionist will answer, then, just ask for Tech Help.

Steve

JackB1 12-24-2018 09:10 PM

Ok I have a similar situation. I just got a SA220 for one guitar and one mic, which works great. However I want to start hosting open mics and you sometimes get duos or even three musicians. Can someone recommend a small simple mixer to use in conjunction with the SA220 and briefly explain how I would hook it up? I’ve never run anything other than the SA220 before. Do I input everything into the mixer and then all those outputs somehow go into the two SA220 inputs?