The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Martin D12X1AE vs DM12 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552556)

DRS1 07-20-2019 10:00 PM

Martin D12X1AE vs DM12

Hi All,

This is my first post here. Just wondering if anyone here has been able to compare these two models against each other, and if so, which do you prefer? I see both of these on the used market from time to time, and the D12X1AE is still in the current Martin line up.

I have played both over the years as I've seen them in shops, more or less out of curiousity, and I recall finding ones that really impressed me, but I never had the chance to A/B one against the other. I've recently took an interest in getting a 12-string, and since I tend to gravitate toward Martins anyway, these are the two models that come to mind and are in my budget, and that I have had the opportunity to try at one time or another.

I see positive reviews of both on the web, but have yet to find a head-to-head comparison. I've seen comments about the strength of the Stratabond neck on the D12X1AE being a possible plus due to the inherent tension of a 12-string. How about tone - laminate mahogany on the long discontinued DM12 vs HPL on the D12X1AE? (By the way, I know that there are mixed feelings about HPL, but I have a 6-string DX1AE, and it continues to impress me, and I am just as happy playing it as I am my solid wood Martins). Just wondering if the DM12 has an edge tone-wise, or construction-wise?

Regarding the DM12, I think the oldest ones (late nineties to early 2000s) had Corian saddles, and the later ones had Tusq. I would think that the Tusq saddle may be preferred, so a later model might be a better buy. If there is a compelling reason to go with a D12X1AE, I would probably buy new just to get the Lifetime Warranty, but would not pass up a used one if I ran across a great deal on one in excellent condition. The new ones do come with electronics, but I do not necessarily have to have one with electronics, as I only seldom play through an amp anyway.

There are probably other 12-string guitars out there in the price range I'm looking at (new or used) under $700, but these are the two that have piqued my interest. Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions!

Tony

rick_f 07-21-2019 07:35 AM

I have the d12x guitar center version.
Not familiar with the other.
I use retro extra light strings
And Changed pins to a snake wood
Pin. Liked the look, and now like the
Sound better. Have had a lot of good
Comments

gfspencer 07-21-2019 08:14 AM

I have a D12X1AE. It is a nice sounding guitar. I've never played a DM12 but from the specs it looks like it might have slightly better appointments. I would guess that they sound similar.

Steve DeRosa 07-21-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRS1 (Post 6117210)
...There are probably other 12-string guitars out there in the price range I'm looking at (new or used) under $700, but these are the two that have piqued my interest. Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions...

Welcome to the forum... :)

One that particularly impressed this 50+ year 12-string player - as well as a fair number of fellow AGF members - is the all-mahogany Guild D-1212, AKA "the unofficial AGF 12-string guitar" (a testament to its tone, playability, quality, and value - search some of the reviews posted here); these can be routinely had for around $700 new (there's an electric-acoustic version that sells for about $100 more), although - as many of your fellow Forumites have discovered - the big-box stores have occasional blowout sales that bring the price down into the $400-450 range. I've tried a couple, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one sight unseen (YMMV); fit and finish are that good, and it has the classic Guild 12-string tone - big, full, rich, and clear without being tinny or strident in the trebles...

DRS1 07-21-2019 03:16 PM

Thanks for the responses. No doubt that the D12X1AE is a good bang for the buck. I’ll also check into the Guild D1212. Still hoping to hear from someone who has been able to compare the Martin DM12 to the D12X1AE. I just see some of these come up from time to time in great condition at reasonable prices. Played some before, but wasn’t really seeking a 12 string at the time. Just remember being impressed with the tone, but had the same experience with some of the X-series 12 stringers I’ve played.

Thanks again!

Tony

Shredmaster007 07-21-2019 04:28 PM

I just went through the 12 string search. I ended up with a Taylor 356ce but sometimes feel I like my friend's Seagull S12 better. Taylor 150e is also nice. I didn't like the Martin at all, but I only played one of them at GC. The string spacing when strumming and fingerpicking on the Martin felt unexpected to me.

Balderdash 11-13-2019 03:19 PM

DM-12 vs D12x1

Hey Tony,
Many calendar pages later; what did you go with?
I have a DM-12 (love it) and will be getting a chance to play a D12x1 this weekend.
I’d be interested to know what you decided.

DRS1 12-12-2019 07:16 AM

Martin D12X1AE vs DM12

Hi Balderdash,

Resurrecting an older thread of mine, but after many email issues, just seeing that you had replied to this thread about a month ago. Since my original post, I have tried a few more D12X1’s (all new) in stores that I visit, but have yet to run across another used DM12. These can be found on the web, but being one who hates to buy without playing one first, I’ve just been holding out until I find the “one” that speaks to me. Would be interested if you got to try a D12X1 and what your thoughts were compared to your DM12.

Tony

Balderdash 12-13-2019 08:58 AM

Tony,
I have them both now (DM-12 and D12X1) and they both sound great. I like the fretmarkers and top edging around the Spruce face on the DM-12 - both missing on the D12X1. But it would be individual preference as to whether they justified the $200 difference I paid for them on Craigslist.
I have a mix of Phosphor Bronze and 80-20s on one and the other is tuned differently so it’s not a perfect straight up comparison, but judging from the sound, I would buy either one again if it was going to be my first or only 12.
I recommend holding out a little longer to go used on CL when you see it there. Resale can be important - I once bought a D-28 on CL for $1550. Nice guitar but after a year of not playing it enough I sold it on CL for $1500. Would have been disappointed if I had purchased new.
But, absolutely, See it and play it First !!
I once drove over an hour to see a DM-12 that had unmentioned nearly invisible cracks in the top. The guy had never humidified in a dry climate...

DRS1 12-13-2019 11:00 AM

Martin D12X1AE vs DM12

Balderdash,
Thanks for the feedback. I let a really nice DM-12 get away from me quite some time back, but wasn’t really shopping for a 12 string at the time either. I’ll keep watching my local shops to see if they get one in on a trade. I do think I like the overall appearance/construction of those better, but I wouldn’t be opposed to a D12X1 either. Just wondered if there was a compelling reason to go with the x-model over the older DM-12. Interesting that you use a mix of PB’s and 80/20’s on one of yours. Never heard of that being done, but I imagine it would have an interesting tone.

Tony

Balderdash 12-13-2019 12:41 PM

Tony,
The PB - 80/20 mix was an experiment that I won’t bother to pursue. Sounds fine but so did just straight PB strings.
What state or city locale do you live in? That would have a lot to do with the 12-string turnover rate in your CL local posting area.