The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Sources for country tabs and chords (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576550)

6 Strings MI 03-29-2020 08:59 AM

Sources for country tabs and chords

Having done some limited research on this topic, consensus is that the accuracy of tabs is all over the map. (My attempts to play the intro to "One Piece At A Time" seem to support the previous statement.) That said, can anyone recommend a source for tabs and/or chords for country music? I don't expect to find perfect accuracy, so I'd be satisfied with a source that's halfway decent.

BlueStarfish 03-30-2020 03:19 PM

Can you work with lead sheets instead of tabs? If so then Hal Leonard publishes at least a couple of versions of country music oriented fake books. You can find them on Amazon. A lead sheet will give you the melody, song structure, chords, lyrics. You'll have to go from that to make up your own guitar arrangement though.

6 Strings MI 03-30-2020 03:40 PM

Not sure if I can work with lead sheets, but I'll have a look nonetheless. Thanks for that suggestion!

SCVJ 03-31-2020 01:41 PM

I too would love to hear some input on internet chord/lyric sources. I've tried half a dozen different ones, and all are really inconsistent when it comes to accuracy.

Chordie is probably my favorite. It has a helpful transcribe tool for changing keys, and chord diagrams for mandolin as well as guitar. Probably banjo, too.

Anyone else?

jaytee32 03-31-2020 02:02 PM

My experience is the same as yours - internet tabs are hit and miss. At some point though I began to see it as a challenge. The tab I downloaded sort of gave me a good first guess to work with, and saved me from typing my own tab or chord charts up ... I just needed to correct what was wrong.

The other thing is, so okay ... it's not 100% right. I try then to correct it. Usually the wrong chord is an advanced one (diminished, or augmented, or a slash chord, or a chord that doesn't normally fall in that key) ... I pick it apart note by note until I've got it. And I correct that part of the tab.

I've learned a lot from doing this!!

Riverwolf 03-31-2020 05:05 PM

Some of the pay sites, even the low cost ones will have tab with lessons.

David Potts at playsongnotes.com
Rob Swift at swiftlessons.com
Ryan Kimm at musicwithryan.com

I have used these three with great videos and downloadable tabs.

Tahitijack 03-31-2020 05:39 PM

I've become a fan of Ultimate Guitar and find the small cost of annual membership is well worth it. As with all sources, including Hal Leonard, nothing is 100 percent accurate. But remember the way you play a song and the way I play a song may differ yet we both of us think we are playing it correctly and both of our audiences probably will say hey that sounds just like the original brother.

sayheyjeff 03-31-2020 06:12 PM

Classic country song lyrics . Com is a really nice source for lyrics and chords. Has a version of One Piece at a Time by Wayne Kemp and recorded by Johnny Cash. A ton of music there.

Jeff