The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NGD X-30 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567511)

oscarvan 01-07-2020 08:24 AM

And as a follow up to that..... It's still playing really well the next morning.

Now I have to decide whether I go medium on the other strings as well, or whether I go half and half..... This is of course a PITA as I'll have to buy two sets of strings, unless anyone knows of Half-Medium/Half-Light sets...

Is anyone else doing this?

mountainmaster 01-07-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscarvan (Post 6258523)
And as a follow up to that..... It's still playing really well the next morning.

Now I have to decide whether I go medium on the other strings as well, or whether I go half and half..... This is of course a PITA as I'll have to buy two sets of strings, unless anyone knows of Half-Medium/Half-Light sets...

Is anyone else doing this?

Elixir and D'Addario have light-medium 012-056 sets.

On my electrics I like to mix light and medium 009-046 for Fender scale guitars.

oscarvan 01-07-2020 10:06 AM

Yup, thanks for the reply and I just got off the phone with Strings and Beyond, and it turns out Bluegrass players do just that. Which makes sense.... thumb the heavy bass strings and then tickle the nice light treble strings....

So there's the D'Addario EJ14, Martin MA240, John Pearse 250LM and the Elixir 11077 sets..... all labeled "Light Medium".

Interesting. One of each ordered.

In the meantime in anticipation of that I also switched the D form a light to a medium.

Whoa.... I am REALLY liking where this is going..... This is a sound I can get used to!

raysachs 01-07-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscarvan (Post 6258600)
Yup, thanks for the reply and I just got off the phone with Strings and Beyond, and it turns out Bluegrass players do just that. Which makes sense.... thumb the heavy bass strings and then tickle the nice light treble strings....

So there's the D'Addario EJ14, Martin MA240, John Pearse 250LM and the Elixir 11077 sets..... all labeled "Light Medium".

Interesting. One of each ordered.

In the meantime in anticipation of that I also switched the D form a light to a medium.

Whoa.... I am REALLY liking where this is going..... This is a sound I can get used to!

Martin Monels (Retros) also have two different flavors of light medium, one is a Tony Rice endorsed set, the other a Laurence Juber endorsed set. They're both 13-56, but they vary quite a bit between 13 and 56. Worth looking at. And they have a standard medium set as well. The Laurence Juber set goes significantly lighter on the G-D-A strings, The Tony Rice set is lighter on the four middle strings, but not as light as the Juber on the three relevant strings.

I like Monels a lot on my X7 and LOVE them on my 000-15SM. I do slightly prefer DR Sunbeams on my X7, but the lights sound great and the mediums, inexplicably, don't sound good at all. I think I probably like the Monels as much as the Sunbeams on my X7, but they're different, and since I play Monels exclusively on my Martin, I keep it varied by using Sunbeams on my X7. I don't think they make a medium light set of Sunbeams though.

-Ray

oscarvan 01-13-2020 11:55 AM

So by request I sent a video of the buzz with the lighter strings to Kevin at Emerald. He came back with "That's easy, turn the truss rod 1/4 turn". I explained that I had turned it several 1/4 turns to no avail. Waiting for further reply....

RP 01-14-2020 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oscarvan (Post 6264042)
So by request I sent a video of the buzz with the lighter strings to Kevin at Emerald. He came back with "That's easy, turn the truss rod 1/4 turn". I explained that I had turned it several 1/4 turns to no avail. Waiting for further reply....

That kind of sounds like the old advice when a single tap with a hammer doesn't do the job, "Get a bigger hammer."

oscarvan 01-19-2020 04:59 PM

Received an email back stating that after "further deliberation" they thought a taller saddle and THEN the appropriate relief may bring relief. I would agree that that may be the case. So there's a few saddle in the mail. We shall see.

oscarvan 02-04-2020 11:03 AM

Well.... Kevin said they were mailed, haven't seen them yet.

Meanwhile I've been playing the instrument. I still love the ergonomics and I like the sound.

The medium strings with fairly high action are not conducive to hours of playing, although they give it a nice powerful sound.

I got one of these, seems to be helping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KarenB 02-04-2020 06:47 PM

When you can't change the guitar, change the player!

oscarvan 02-04-2020 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenB (Post 6284117)
When you can't change the guitar, change the player!

Well, truth be told although I play a lot, as in every day, sometimes hours, I've only been doing it for 2-1/2 years. (Starting at 60). So my playing is still changing every day. May well be a blessing in disguise the way this guitar is playing out (haha). It may well end up being a part of my style as I move forward. So I am indeed well aware that as much as we are trying to be the driver in our life, we are also the passenger and being a good passenger is a skill too.

oscarvan 02-20-2020 04:29 PM

Well... the saddles never arrived. Guess they fell out of the mail bag somewhere.

In the meantime I'm starting to get used to the guitar and really starting to like it. It is now THE unplugged guitar for me. I can project my vocals pretty well (or as my wife says I have a big mouth) and the X30 is BY FAR the loudest acoustic I have ever player. And not just loud, good sound loud. So unplugged people always are a little startled when the music starts.....LOL.

When it's plug in time I still gravitate towards my Rainsong. But, at some point I do want to add an X10 to the collection.

121 02-20-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscarvan (Post 6297929)
Well... the saddles never arrived. Guess they fell out of the mail bag somewhere.

If you are still considering getting a saddle for your X30.

I've used
"Graphtech Acoustic Saddle 1/8" Fully Comp. PS-9280-C0"
on my X30, X20 and 2nd gen. X7.
About $12.00 each on Amazon.

oscarvan 02-20-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 121 (Post 6297991)
If you are still considering getting a saddle for your X30.

I've used
"Graphtech Acoustic Saddle 1/8" Fully Comp. PS-9280-C0"
on my X30, X20 and 2nd gen. X7.
About $12.00 each on Amazon.

Interesting, thanks.

oscarvan 04-13-2020 02:52 PM

An envelope arrived from Donegal today. Amazeballs.

After wiping it with agent orange it turned out to contain two saddles, one blank.

I think I will take the whole shebang to a luthier when this is again legal and see what he/she says.

Meanwhile I've gotten really, really fond of my RainSong..... to the point where I am considering monogamy.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=