The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Critique this short recording (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530471)

JakeStone 12-05-2018 04:06 PM

Critique this short recording

Edit - Also skip to post #12 .. I uploaded a newer recording.

This is short recording of me testing some new equipment.
I just recorded it with the Spire Studio, iPad and 2 mics.
Mics were AT2035 and MXL990 set up in XY position..

I realize there are limitations due to the room, gear, player etc,,,

But was wondering what you all thought of the recording?
My ears are a little fatigued.. (go easy, I am fairly new to this stuff)

It seems a little bright....
Does it sound decent? (not the playing :D)

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome!

Here's a photo of my little setup.
https://i.imgur.com/48XodB0l.jpg

Thx!

Mods let me know if this is not right place for this

runamuck 12-05-2018 06:05 PM

I think it sound fine. Maybe a little bright but it all depends on what else is going on the the arrangement.

sdelsolray 12-05-2018 06:11 PM

This is a decent recording. On the plus side, the typical proximity effect from cardioid mics that close to the source is mostly absent resulting is a balanced presentation of low, mid and high frequencies. On the minus side, I can hear your room in the recording and the low and high mid frequencies and the low high frequencies sound a bit harsh (i.e., less smooth than the guitar probably generates all by itself).

JakeStone 12-05-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runamuck (Post 5910172)
I think it sound fine. Maybe a little bright but it all depends on what else is going on the the arrangement.

Thanks runamuck..

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdelsolray (Post 5910180)
This is a decent recording.

On the minus side, I can hear your room in the recording and the low and high mid frequencies and the low high frequencies sound a bit harsh (i.e., less smooth than the guitar probably generates all by itself).

Thanks for your reply.

I need to think how to improve my room and also figure out best place to set up.. its a large room 18x22 ft. With a tall peaked ceiling

TBman 12-05-2018 07:46 PM

It sounded good to me and I didn't hear much room at all. That doesn't look like an xy position to me though or did you just move them when not recording? I have the MXL990 also and I like using it with a small condensor. I like your sound better than mine though, perhaps Santa Claus can bring another large diaphragm down the chimney, :D

If you get a recording that is too "bright" you can fool around with a "low pass" filter. Generally though I have to deal with a High Pass filter. Its all trial and error mostly.

JakeStone 12-05-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 5910263)
It sounded good to me and I didn't hear much room at all. That doesn't look like an xy position to me though or did you just move them when not recording? I have the MXL990 also and I like using it with a small condensor. I like your sound better than mine though, perhaps Santa Claus can bring another large diaphragm down the chimney, :D

Hey Thanks TBman.

I believe it's XY... Since I have the mics turned in the holders 90 degrees and pointing in opposite directions.
Maybe It's called something else?

TBman 12-05-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeStone (Post 5910267)
Hey Thanks TBman.

I believe it's XY... Since I have the mics turned in the holders 90 degrees and pointing in opposite directions.
Maybe It's called something else?

In your photo it looks like one is on top of the other. Here's an xy with small diaphragms

XY setup

JakeStone 12-05-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 5910274)
In your photo it looks like one is on top of the other. Here's an xy with small diaphragms

Yes and they are properly positioned (turned 90 degrees) within the mic mounts.

Like this..

https://i.imgur.com/t1WMPJ7m.jpg

TBman 12-05-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeStone (Post 5910279)
Yes and they are properly positioned (turned 90 degrees) within the mic mounts.

Like this..

https://i.imgur.com/t1WMPJ7m.jpg

Ok thanks. You just taught me something. :)

KevWind 12-05-2018 08:25 PM

The basic recording is OK If perhaps just a bit harsh as sdelsolray mentioned I am not familiar with Spire Studio app BUt if it has EQ and Compression I think it could help
Eq-- first a high pass filter set to roll off somewhere between about 60 Hz to 80 Hz at maybe a 12 db slope to help clear some of the low buildup (probably due to room )
Compression -- try setting at a 2 to 1 ratio with a soft knee and play with threshold to ease off a bit on the" in your face" harshness, ( you can always use some sligh makeup gain to bring back the presence , but let a bit more of the wood of the guitar come through

JakeStone 12-05-2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 5910299)
The basic recording is OK If perhaps just a bit harsh as sdelsolray mentioned I am not familiar with Spire Studio app BUt if it has EQ and Compression I think it could help
Eq-- first

Thanks KevWind, the App has some effects, which can only be added during recording ... But I can send the recordings to my DAW and add EQ and compression ..thanks for the tips!

JakeStone 12-24-2018 07:51 AM

Here's a newer recording.

This clip was recorded with a single mic (Oktava MK-012)... Placed about 8-10 inches away. I also brought it into Reaper and applied a little EQ to smooth it out.

Getting better? Any comments welcome!

TBman 12-24-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeStone (Post 5927881)
Here's a newer recording.

This clip was recorded with a single mic (Oktava MK-012)... Placed about 8-10 inches away. I also brought it into Reaper and applied a little EQ to smooth it out.

Getting better? Any comments welcome!

Nice. I didn't hear anything wrong with the first recording, :)

You have zero ambient noise to my ears on my Logitech computer speakers. (Which is weird, lol). Did you do any noise reduction? In my recording in my signature, done in a small room and close mic'd, I had to do noise reduction.

JakeStone 12-24-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 5927888)
Nice. I didn't hear anything wrong with the first recording, :)

You have zero ambient noise to my ears on my Logitech computer speakers. (Which is weird, lol). Did you do any noise reduction? In my recording in my signature, done in a small room and close mic'd, I had to do noise reduction.

Thanks Barry.. Appreciate the comments!

I didn't use any "noise reduction" but I did use some basic EQ (Reaper ReaEQ) )
to cut the low end (under 150K) and a tiny cut in the highs.. which smoothed things out..
The Oktava mic seems to handle close up well.

BTW your signature recording sound excellent!

TBman 12-24-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeStone (Post 5927912)
Thanks Barry.. Appreciate the comments!

I didn't use any "noise reduction" but I did use some basic EQ (Reaper ReaEQ) )
to cut the low end (under 150K) and a tiny cut in the highs.. which smoothed things out..
The Oktava mic seems to handle close up well.

BTW your signature recording sound excellent!

Thanks Jake. This home recording is tough, but fun.