The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Here are the tings Im looking for in classical guitar... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569289)

ScottKilpatrick 01-14-2020 02:28 PM

Here are the tings Im looking for in classical guitar...

• Cedar/Rosewood
  • Solid Woods
  • Adjustable Truss Rod
  • Sound Ports
  • Nitro or French Polish (really just looking for something that does not have a heavy treatment to the top wood)
  • Possible 640 version but I need to try it first - 650 might be fine.
  • Under $2K

Ive narrowed it down to possibly Kenny Hill or Cordoba and I am not sure I will get all of those items - but I think both of these companies off them.

Am I missing someone to look at?

ScottKilpatrick 01-14-2020 06:14 PM

actually I just heard back from Cordoba and they do not offer sound ports on any models....Maybe Hill is my only option - Im not sure why sound ports are so rare or only come on high end guitars - it seems like an easy low cost addition when making the guitar.

Alder Statesman 01-14-2020 07:04 PM

Why an adjustable truss rod on a classical?

Breedlove comes close your specs with their Solo Concert Nylon-String. Ovangkol rather than rosewood

ScottKilpatrick 01-15-2020 10:54 AM

ah I overlooked breedlove - they look pretty good. The truss rod is something that I think cordoba and kenny hill offer in their guitars - for me its mostly a fail safe - hopefully it never needs to be adjusted but in the event that you may want to make adjustments ...you can.

rmp 01-15-2020 11:56 AM

so.. how would a Taylor 500 series nylon suit?

Seems to hit a lot of your base points.

I have one, and I really like it. I went thru a number of different makes till I settled on this one.

hesson11 01-15-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottKilpatrick (Post 6265271)
actually I just heard back from Cordoba and they do not offer sound ports on any models....Maybe Hill is my only option - Im not sure why sound ports are so rare or only come on high end guitars - it seems like an easy low cost addition when making the guitar.

Perhaps the reason is that making classical guitars is steeped in tradition, and ideas about what guitars "should" be change slowly. Sound ports are still a comparatively new innovation, and not all makers (or players) have found them to their liking.

ScottKilpatrick 01-15-2020 07:03 PM

Yes you are probably spot on on that. It seems to be relatively rare for the simplicity and so many on this forum seem to be in favor - havent found any negative other than possibly appearance. But you are probably right.

fitness1 01-15-2020 08:41 PM

Kenny Hill New World Player Series.....might be the only one out there

cdkrugjr 01-16-2020 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hesson11 (Post 6266132)
Perhaps the reason is that making classical guitars is steeped in tradition, and ideas about what guitars "should" be change slowly. Sound ports are still a comparatively new innovation, and not all makers (or players) have found them to their liking.

Yes, we're all still quite shell-shocked by that the things that radical Torres fellow did. It will take a bit for us to recover.
:D