The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   AGF Classifieds - Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Huss and Dalton custom CM African Blackwood and Italian Spruce (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551042)

guitarman51 07-02-2019 10:57 AM

Huss and Dalton custom CM African Blackwood and Italian Spruce

NO LONGER FOR SALE

Huss and Dalton custom CM African Blackwood and Italian Spruce guitar with H&D .. serial # 3047 .. bought from Down Home Guitars March 2017 for $6,000 .. this is the same guitar that one of the H&D partners made for themselves to take home .. African Blackwood is right up there with Brazilian Rosewood for density and tone, is almost as rare in the forests, and is a prized rare guitar wood for those who like that bass depth, ring, tone clarity, treble brilliance, and overtone associated with the deepest rosewoods and similar guitar woods .. the Italian Spruce top takes big headroom for bluegrass and flatpicking almost as well as Adirondack Spruce, but like softer spruce tops yields a buttery tonal separation and warmth for fingerstyle playing ..specs as follows, straight from the factory spec sheet ..

Custom Specs
African Blackwood back and sides
Italian Spruce top (selected set # 67573)
African Blackwood peghead veneer
African Blackwood heelcap
Koa bound body
Koa bound FB
Koa bound peghead

Standard Specs
1 3/4" neck width
2 7/32" spacing at the saddle
25.4 inch scale length
25 foot radius top
B/W/B purflings
Abalone rosette
Abalone scroll 12th fret inlay
Abalone logo peg head inlay
Ebony bridge and fingerboard
Ebony bridge pins and end pin
Scalloped red spruce bracing
Bone nut and compensated saddle
Zipper back strip
Clear pick guard
TKL tweed hardshell case with H&D logo
D'Addario EXP 16 light strings
Gold gotoh mini-tuners with H&D logo
Body length 20 inches
Body width 15 1/4 inches
Body depth 4 5/8 inches
4 3/16 inch sound hole

I had H&D shop folks add 3/32" wide microdots of abalone at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 15th frets .. 1 microdot at each position except 2 at the 7th .. adds better visuals sighting down the neck and with the scroll at the 12th really sets the neck off ..

This is one heck of a guitar .. quite the cannon with a flatpick, as one might imagine given the wood combination .. consummate for fingerstyle, too, very sweet with great depth, clarity, crisp note separation, and presence ..

Asking $4,000 plus PP fees and shipping CONUS at cost .. guitar is virtually unplayed and has spent its life in the case .. mint as new, no playwear or issues of any type ..

Scroll down in the listing to find 2 photos hosted kindly for me by another member .. these were taken before the scroll and additional fingerboard dots were added by H&D .. I can email you photos of that extra work and more shots of the guitar, if you wish .. please email me for pics at [email protected] .. I do not use photo hosting sites anymore as they are rife with viruses and such scabs ..

Here is the link to the archived Down Home shots found from the original sale and before the scroll and extra fiongerboard dots were added .. I had to copy and paste in, clicking on the link did not work on my computer ..

https://downhomeguitars.com/instrume...spruce-custom/[/COLOR]

Also, email with questions in addition to just posting questions herein on AGF .. you'll get a quicker response that way, as I do not check AGF messages all that frequently ..

Rosewood99 07-02-2019 11:04 AM

FYI, You are a charter member so you have the ability to upload pics directly into your lisiting.

Stevien 07-02-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulzoom (Post 6101271)
FYI, You are a charter member so you have the ability to upload pics directly into your lisiting.

+1 for what Paul said. Also, first impressions go a long way. Most people will not want to go through asking for pics through e-mail. If they see no pics, they lose interest & go on to another listing.
Steve

SuperB23 07-02-2019 01:12 PM

I had a H&D FS model in this same wood combination and it was exceptional!! Very sweet tone that was rich and enveloping. Good luck with your sale.

guitarman51 07-02-2019 03:39 PM

pics of H&D custom CM

Am in the process of charging my camera and taking pics .. in the past, AGF only accepted pics from picture hosting websites and did not have the ability for Charter Members to upload pics from their own computer, although a few AGF monkey-monks have in the past been kind enough to host pics of mine on guitars being sold by inserting them onto the posting .. will try to add my pics of the H&D custom CM according to directions within AGF that I now find, we'll see if it works ..

Will post again with update within this listing, either with pics taken and uploaded or with another note that AGF pic upload feature is either hooey or not an understandable process to a computer pic uploading neophyte person(<:

As for people being too lazy to email a seller for pics, that is on them .. having bought and sold in excess of 150 guitars in the past as a used mint high end personal business guitar store (2002 through about 2010 under the name Acoustic Attic) and now only rarely buying and selling for personal collections reasons, in my opinion if a potential buyer is so lazy that they cannot be bothered to email a seller for pics, they are not a serious buyer anyway )<:

guitarman51 08-10-2019 02:11 PM

Huss & Dalton custom CM pic attempt

Well, I do have pics and tried uploading to the site, but the server said the pic files were too big .. and my computer does not have a function that allows trimming of pictures .. what the camera inputs into the computer is what I get .. so you'll have to email me, sorry .. such is life .. this is a great guitar.

Guitars44me 08-10-2019 04:34 PM

Pics

If you will email me a few pics at my email in my profile I will attempt to get them up here for you.

A few years ago number of fine AGF folks including fitness/Todd did the same for me.

All the best on this.

I am sure this is a FINE instrument indeed

Paul

Guitars44me 08-10-2019 04:36 PM

Hmmm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperB23 (Post 6101370)
I had a H&D FS model in this same wood combination and it was exceptional!! Very sweet tone that was rich and enveloping. Good luck with your sale.

Hey Bobby, haven't you owned at least one of everything good? Hahahaha

Cheers

Paul

peteybabes 08-11-2019 05:20 PM

this is literally the the best wood combo around...it's my opinion that ABW is better than brazilian rosewood in all ways except it's physical weight.

yes, please upload photos, i'm drooling over here... :)

birdsong 08-12-2019 08:07 AM

Some images in Drive

Currently I only use Google Drive & Dropbox. While not ideal, here are 8 of Bruce's images of this guitar, in a Drive folder. I edited them a bit to help - lighting, cropping, especially with a couple of the back. As he says, it's very dark and hard to photograph but with some editing I think it shows.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...2dFNk5ZXzBzXzg

Included here as well are a couple shots from the H&D website prior to the mods Bruce requested on the fretboard. The back shows well in one of theirs.

------ from H&D link --------

https://downhomeguitars.com/wp-conte...-CM-Front2.jpg

https://downhomeguitars.com/wp-conte...on-CM-Back.jpg

guitarman51 08-18-2019 02:12 PM

picsd pics pics

Many thanks to the fellow AGF guy who posted some pics in the thread and to others who offered to host uploads for me on the site .. the full compliment of original shots before the sale from Down Home Guitars can be gotten from a link that Ia dded to the original description .. you might have to copy and paste the link .. yes, this is a spectacular guitar .. first time I have checked AGF for messages in a couple of weeks, i just don't get here very often .. email me at [email protected] for questions, requests, pertinent comments .. still for sale.

guitarman51 09-16-2019 10:44 AM

up the hump

bumpity bump up the hump

3Labs&2Taylors 09-22-2019 09:56 AM

I followed B23's Huss and Dalton while it was posted. It had a great tone. I held off offering because I was unsure of the neck shape and playability since I am unfamiliar with H & D neck profiles and the luthier in general.

Can you give me some details on the neck shape. To give you an idea of my preference for a comfortable fit my three favorit neck shapes are in order 2 800 Taylor GS guitars, then a Collings OM-42 SS and close by my 98 D-45.

I am still acclimatizing to my Charis SJ which may be the action rather than the profile and since a recent bike accident my 1931 Authentic Martin OM hurts my fretting hand in certain positions probably due to the barrel neck shape but the instrument's tone is still to die for.

howard lee 09-22-2019 04:57 PM

No affiliation or interest here at all. Just popped in to say that I played this very guitar when I visited Down Home Guitars, in September 2016, and I can say without hesitation that it was likely the best-sounding guitar in the shop. I'm sure that with a couple of more years on it, it sounds even better. And it played great, too.

Next owner will not be disappointed. Good luck with your sale. Signing off now.

guitarman51 10-19-2019 09:08 AM

up the hump she goes

bumpity bump up the hump