The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Humidity Question (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618161)

SColumbusSt 06-13-2021 08:10 AM

Humidity Question

From internet research it appears the ideal humidity level for building guitars is between 40% and 50%. I'm building in my basement in super humid Virginia and finding it impossible to get below 50% since it became AC season even with a dehumidifier running full blast (I'm emptying three tanks a day). My humidity range these days is typically between 50% and 60%.

I've got the top and back braced and carved and the rims put together and am ready to assemble the box. Should I wait until fall when the humidity is lower? I'm just building the guitar for me so there is no customer waiting impatiently for the guitar and I've got nothing but time.

Thanks for any advice.

Keith

Glen H 06-13-2021 09:03 AM

If you have already braced your back and top, there is no advantage to waiting until the humidity drops in the fall. Closing the box is less critical than bracing the top and back. I would go ahead and complete the guitar. Since it is yours alone, just be aware of what humidity the guitar lives in going forward

runamuck 06-13-2021 09:05 AM

In my opinion, the critical steps that are most affected by humidity are gluing the braces to the top and back. It sounds like you've done that.

If you always keep your guitar in an environment where the RH is around the same as it was when you glued your bracing on you shouldn't have a problem.

SColumbusSt 06-13-2021 09:35 AM

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should be good to go. I glued the braces on back before humidity became an issue and the guitar will be living here. Time to close the box!

Keith

Simon Fay 06-13-2021 08:37 PM

The humidity of the top when you glue the braces on is "locked in" at that point. You then want to try and keep the humidity at that same level throughout the build process.

The industry chooses a lower RH of 43% for building because guitars sound better when they have lower moisture content and it is also a good middle ground for sending the guitar to various environments that the guitar will likely experience. The guitar you've built will almost certainly have severe structural issues when exposed to a fairly dry environment. However, keep it right around 50% RH and it will be just fine. And generally speaking, try to keep the RH within a 10% RH range of the guitars "locked in" RH and the playability and structure will be fine.

mirwa 06-13-2021 09:31 PM

The above contradicts what I know, to the best of my knowledge main stream manufacturers try to achieve a 50 percent humidity throughout the build process.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SColumbusSt (Post 6740177)
My humidity range these days is typically between 50% and 60%.

After a guitar has been built, warranty extends to main stream manufacturers guitars maintained between 40 and 60 percent humidity, beyond those ranges warranty is typically voided, so you should be fine in the building phase

redir 06-14-2021 07:47 AM

I built my first guitar in the suburbs of Washington DC in Virginia in about 1992. Then I had to reset the neck a couple years later. And it was all becasue of the exact same thing you are going through now. Like Simon said, expect to have problems with that guitar. Having said that I STILL have my first guitar and I love it and it plays and sounds great. So anything can be fixed in the future.

SColumbusSt 06-14-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redir (Post 6740932)
I built my first guitar in the suburbs of Washington DC in Virginia in about 1992. Then I had to reset the neck a couple years later. And it was all becasue of the exact same thing you are going through now. Like Simon said, expect to have problems with that guitar. Having said that I STILL have my first guitar and I love it and it plays and sounds great. So anything can be fixed in the future.

That's where I am in Virginia. The DC area is known as the swamp for more than one reason!

Keith

Simon Fay 06-14-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirwa (Post 6740766)
The above contradicts what I know, to the best of my knowledge main stream manufacturers try to achieve a 50 percent humidity throughout the build process.

I believe you are incorrect - I have never heard of anybody building at that RH but I'm not 100% certain. Taylor says they use 46%. Most other factories I've heard are around 45%. The lutherie community uses 43% on average. As a general rule, I bet 45% is probably a reasonable average among established builders and manufacturers.

redir 06-14-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SColumbusSt (Post 6741173)
That's where I am in Virginia. The DC area is known as the swamp for more than one reason!

Keith

Ha! True. It can be brutal there but it's still not as bad as Richmond, in terms of RH.

mirwa 06-15-2021 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Fay (Post 6741456)
I believe you are incorrect - I have never heard of anybody building at that RH but I'm not 100% certain.

As I said, the original comment contradicts what I know, 43 IMO is low, I do warranty repairs either direct or through their distributor for many manufacturers - Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Fender, Yamaha, Prs to name just afew.

I could be incorrect and its like 47.5 or some other crazy close number, 43 is definetly not a number i set my workshop at for builds or repairs.

Steve